PDA

View Full Version : Studying ATPL flight planning.

major_tom
5th Mar 2011, 04:28
Hi all,
I am currently studying for ATPL Flight Planning:}, however I cant seem to distinguish the difference between ATPL F/P and ATPL Performance. In the ATPL syllabus they are both referred to under section 5 (rather than having their own individual sections). I am currently using the ATC Flight Planning & Performance book - and this doesnt really distinguish the difference between the requirements of ATPL F/P vs Performance.

Does this mean, i should simply study everything thats in the book, do the rob avery F/P exams, then sit CASA ATPL F/P exam. Then, do the rob avery Performance exams then sit the CASA Performance exam after?

Whats the best way to go about it? :ugh:

JCJ
5th Mar 2011, 05:23
Buy Nathan Higgins AFT notes, and all will become crystal clear, will also give you a much better chance of getting through FP first time around.....small investment for a good return IMHO

training wheels
5th Mar 2011, 05:29
This is all you need.

Advanced Flight Theory (http://aft.com.au/)

I did them all by distance learning with AFT and passed all on the first attempt.

legaleagle73
5th Mar 2011, 06:18
The Casa syllabus is hopeless on this point. Buy a decent course and you'll find out what is in the exam.

I'm quite a big fan of the ATC books but the one you have (which I also own) will almost certainly not get you through the 2 exams you're doing if you are self-studying. Get the Rob Avery courses or the Nathan Higgins courses. Spending the money now will save a lot of wasted time and money later if you fail and have to restudy and resit.

Cheers:)

Steve888
5th Mar 2011, 07:11
I'm currently studying for this exam as well so can anyone provide any details on the flight plan forms provided in the exam, are they the same as the ones used by AFT that looks similar to:
SEG | FL | DEV | M | TAS | TR | WV | WC | GS | DIST | ETI | AIRD | Fuel F | Zone F | SZW | MZW

Hasselhof
5th Mar 2011, 08:27
SEG | FL | DEV | M | TAS | TR | WV | WC | GS | DIST | ETI | AIRD | Fuel F | Zone F | SZW | MZW

Yep, with a few others at the end and WV | WC combined

To major_tom: Get AFT

major_tom
5th Mar 2011, 12:21
Sounds a plan guys (no pun intended ;) ). I'm going to allocate 2 months for this subject, that should be enough yah? AFT seems the way to go then.
cheers =]

belly tank
5th Mar 2011, 19:55
Hi Major Tom,
2 months should be plenty if your studying at home. I'm at Maroochydore and starting AFT class on Monday and it's 10 days in the classroom for planning.

Cheers and good luck
BT:ok:

Steve888
7th Mar 2011, 11:47
Another question for the more experienced, when should a more accurate SGR be calculated based on weight, altitude, wind etc?

The AFT notes seem to use 10 kg/nm all the time in the examples. Should a more accurate SGR be used all the time, or only in certain circumstances, or does 10 kg/nm do for most situations?

Steve888
9th Mar 2011, 11:02
...Anyone?

Hasselhof
9th Mar 2011, 12:35
The numbers are only approximations anyway, so use the 10kg/nm and then quickly apply the more accurate numbers. Once you've got the corrections memorised and know when to use them properly. It's a piece of piss.

...still single
9th Mar 2011, 13:15
....What Hasselhof said.

But, for myself, I would look at all the variables that affect SGR and try to estimate what the actual SGR would be. Do this all the time, and you can get pretty good at estimating SGR's. Good enough to pick the correct answer maybe 4 times out of 5 times and narrow it to a choice of two possible answers the other 20% of the time. That could be real handy if you're running short of time in the exam.
Anyway, it takes very little time to make an estimate, and if your calculated SGR is close to your estimate you can be confident you're on the right track.