PDA

View Full Version : CPL to NPPL

vfrrider481
4th Mar 2011, 10:21
Just after some advice really.

In short up until Jan this year I held a CPL with SEP and ME class ratings and an IR. Unfortunately I have had my class 1 medical suspended.

After some digging I have found that I may be able to fly again through the NPPL. In essence my medical issue is over a seizure I had late last year. The NPPL (to the best of my knowledge) allows a medical declaration as proof of being medically fit to fly and has 2 standards. DVLA class 2 standards permit solo flight with up to 3 non-qualified passengers, but the bit I am looking at is DVLA class 1 which allows solo flight with no passengers or flight with a safety pilot.

Likewise I am aware that I would have to show 12 months without seizures the same as driving my private car. The word seizure is a bit of a misnomer as the event was more akin to a classical migraine.

It's unclear at the moment whether I'll get my JAA class 1 medical back, but I would like the opportunity to at least fly for fun and maybe keep some form of currency whilst I deal with the JAA class 1 issue.

Does anyone know how I would go about getting an NPPL with the licences I currently hold as there is very little on the internet about it?

Thanks,
VFR

Lister Noble
4th Mar 2011, 10:33
Yesterday I sent off my UK JAA PPL (A) for renewal as NPPL,the forms are on the NPPL website, and John Pett was most helpful.
I'm not sure if that helps you,I believe you can't fly a light aircraft on a commercial licence,or maybe you need a check out with a CFI.
I know one of my airline pals had to go through some checks to get back to GA.

Just noticed you have SEP,as long as you can get a medical declaration you should be OK
Good luck
Lister

vfrrider481
4th Mar 2011, 10:56
Lister,

Thanks. I'm hoping the type of licence shouldn't present me a problem, after all most flying instructors hold a commercial pilots licence. I figure the key is that an airline pilot may not have an SEP class rating and therefore might not be able to simply apply for an NPPL without further training.

I was at the time of my enforced stoppage on a Flight Instructor course and so was current on SEP.

In essence is it simply just a paperwork exercise for those who already hold JAA licences?

VFR

Lister Noble
4th Mar 2011, 12:46
They want the original medical declaration.
If you can drive a car,you can fly SEP on your own or with another pilot.
If you would be able to drive an HGV you can fly with up to three passengers.
At the moment UK only ,but I believe France does accept NPPL.

That's the extent and depth of my knowledge,no doubt someone will be along shortly with all the details I may have missed out.:)

BEagle
4th Mar 2011, 16:58
vfrrider481, sorry to hear about your medical situation.

Your first port of call should be your GP. Only a GP may countersign a Medical Declaration which is necessary for NPPL-level flying.

Assuming he/she is happy to countersign your Medical Declaration, the next thing to consider is the expiry dates of:
1. Your SEP Class Rating.
2. Your CPL.

If both are currently valid (apart from the JAA Medical Certificate), you can continue to fly SEP aircraft restricted to SSEA privileges under the conditions of ORS4 No.816 - and you don't even need to pay anything (except perhaps your GP) nor contact the CAA!

However, when your SEP Class Rating meets its validity expiry date, it will need to be replaced with an SSEA Class Rating for which you must apply to the CAA - and which will attract a fee. You can then continue flying using your CPL and Medical Declaration until your CPL meets its 5-year point. At that point, you will need to apply to NPLG Ltd for a NPPL.

The whole idea of ORS4 No.816 is to help people, in situations such as yours, to continue to fly without additional requirements whilst their medical situation is reviewed. With luck you may get a JAA Medical Certificate back again and continue - if not, then there's the CPL/SSEA then NPPL(SSEA) option.

Good luck!

vfrrider481
8th Mar 2011, 14:26
Beagle,

Thankyou for a most comprehensive reply and apologies on my part for the delay replying (I have not been near a computer for a few days).

Many thanks again,
VFR