PDA

View Full Version : PPL FI

trex600
3rd Mar 2011, 18:53
Hi all, is there still such thing as a PPL FI?
And if so does this exclude the need to pass all 14 CPL exams?

RTN11
3rd Mar 2011, 19:37
The legislation may well change in 2012 under EASA, but as it currently stands you can do a FI(A) on a PPL so long as you meet the hour requirements (200 PIC rings a bell) and do the CPL written exams, i think 7 in total.

You can then do the FI(A) course itself, which costs around £7k and instruct for free.

If you want to earn money from it you need a CPL, which is a 25 hour course in a complex aircraft costing somewhere around £10k+

All the exact hours can be found in LASORS, or the ANO.

BillieBob
3rd Mar 2011, 20:21
It's 9 CPL exams and no, it won't change under EASA

trex600
3rd Mar 2011, 20:30
Cheers guys, :(

Ryan5252
3rd Mar 2011, 20:32
Lassors has the full details and easy enough to find. Off the top of my head though;

PPL - Must have done the CPL Exams which I thought was 9 but could be 7 as above I suppose or the 14 ATPL Exams (which is the route I am going).

Must have logged 200 hours TT of this 150 must be P1 and 10 on instruments (5 of these can be sim time though). Of the 200 at least 20 must be cross country time P1.

Must have completed CPL QXC i.e. 540km/300nm with two full stops.

Must have completed 30 hours SEP - of these I think 5 hours must be logged in previous 6 months before starting course.

Pass an FI entry test before starting the course.

As you see from the above if one already meets the requirements then he also meets the requirements for issue of a CPL and therefore the CPL course of 25 hours shouldn't be much of a problem. In my case I intend to continue building my experience to meet the above whilst doing my ATPLs (saves having to do further exams later on for IR, High Altitude AC etc etc) and then do my FI(A). After having got my FI(A) rating I will get a CPL at some point thereafter but there is no massive urgency in this regard as getting paid isn't my priority... yet.

All the above could be complete non-sense and you should refer to Lassors I just don't have the time to download it.

Ryan

Whopity
4th Mar 2011, 07:57
it won't change under EASABut you will be able to be remunerated!

BEagle
4th Mar 2011, 12:01
The definitive answer isn't officially known yet.

However, latest 'intelligence' is that the stupid 'LAFI' has been canned, so a PPL holder with an FI 'certificate' :yuk: without CPL-level knowledge will probably be able to receive remuneration for instructing at 'LAPL' level, but will need to have passed the CPL exams to instruct at 'PPL' level.....:bored:

Which is, of course, utter nonsense. The early formative exercises are the most critical and are identical at both levels. So there is a very definite move afoot to remove the need for CPL-level knowledge for all remunerated instruction at PPL level - which was the original EASA proposal before a couple of countries moaned that this would require a 'difference from ICAO' to be filed...and they didn't want that.

But the wheels of EASA grind exceeding slow, so it'll be many years before this nonsense is sorted out, I'm afraid.

Whopity
4th Mar 2011, 13:25
so it'll be many years before this nonsense is sorted out, I'm afraid.Which throws into question why EASA are messing about with the PPL at all. Originally it was never intended to be part of JAR-FCL and the original concept of JAR-FCL was to facilitate the freedom of movement of labour within the EU. ICAO Anex 1 States:1.2.2.2 Recommendation.— A pilot licence issued by a Contracting State should be rendered valid by other Contracting States for use in private flights.Therefore, there is no reason why PPLs should not remain under National control. EASA have proposed numerous different licence categories but have failed to source any theoretical examinations for them; neither are there any plans or resources to do so. Consequently, their proposals are flawed from square one as there is no standardisation and the entire thing is unnecessary. They have admitted their incompetence with regard to Annex II aircraft, yet it is seemingly much more widespread. Is it not time that our highly paid, useless Euro MPs drew a line in the sand, and stopped this nonsense whilst its at the parliamentary stage.

BEagle
4th Mar 2011, 15:39
Is it not time that our highly paid, useless Euro MPs drew a line in the sand, and stopped this nonsense whilst it's at the parliamentary stage.

Couldn't agree more - I've been saying as much for years!

trex600
22nd Mar 2011, 23:35
What are the 9 exams needed to be studied?
Also can you pic and choose to sit the exams at different stages or are they to be complete all on the same ground school course?

stupix
24th Mar 2011, 03:37
Trex,
the 9 subjects are as follows, I am doing them through CATS and these are how they are broken down with them and so far it seems possible to do them over the course of 6-9 months, but I believe you can stretch them out over a longer period if you like, one thing to bear in mind is that, unlike the ATPL's, you can only do the CPL exams at CAA HQ Gatwick and no other exam centre :
STAGE 1
Human Performance & Limitations
Air Law & ATC Procedures
Operational Procedures
VFR Communications
Meteorology

STAGE 2
Principles of Flight
Flight Planning
(Performance, Mass & Balance
& Flight Planning)
Navigation

STAGE 3
Aircraft General Knowledge

trex600
24th Mar 2011, 20:05
Stupix, Thank you
Its a lot of hard work for a job that pays an average of £10 pounds per hour
but the other way i see it is Flying at another persons cost and teaching something i believe i will love doing

How hard is the Instructor course and whats a Ticket?
Another post states that he has a ticket for 1 year, Why just 1 year?

stupix
27th Mar 2011, 00:49
Trex,
I just got my results today that I've passed the second set of exams for the CPL theory, 5 exams Air Law, OPS, VFR Comms, Met and HPL.
Whilst I am very happy to have passed them and have worked damn hard I have to also admit that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I have managed to pass the first 6 exams first time and even got 100% in one of the tests last week.
So I suppose what I am trying to say is don't be put off by 9 theory exams, you can do them in your own time and with a reasonable brain it is very achievable to have them done in under 12 months with the right study course and some guidance.
I am actually enjoying trying to teach this old dog new tricks.
Stu

trex600
28th Mar 2011, 00:50
Stu, congratulations.
Im going to start the study process soon i think.
Iv bought a question bank and find vfr comms easy enough but the others are things im just going to have to learn.
Hope i dont struggle too much :)
Thanks