PDA

View Full Version : NZ IR Courses

FlyingKiwi_73
2nd Mar 2011, 07:44
Hi guys just wanting to know whats involved in getting your Private IR ticket in NZ.

I've heard its approx 20 hrs, anybody know how many exams and how much it costs? (roughly)

Thanks.

KF73

southerner
2nd Mar 2011, 10:03
Hi FK73,

A quick check of AC61-17 on the NZCAA website will give you all you need to know. But basically, assuming you already have at least your PPL, there is 5 more exams to pass;

- IR Law
- IR Navigation
- IR Instruments and Navaids
- CPL Meteorology
- CPL Human Factors

Then, depending on your license already held, the following hours before a Flight Test can be flown for the initial issue;

===========================
Rule 61.801(a)(2) requires an applicant for an instrument rating to have flight time experience acceptable to the Director. The following is acceptable to the Director:

EITHER

(i) 50 hours of VFR cross-country navigation flight time as pilot-in-command, of which not less than 10 hours are in the appropriate category of aircraft; and
(ii) 10 hours dual instrument cross-country flight time under an IFR flight plan; and
(iii) 40 hours instrument time; and
(iv) 20 hours instrument flight time in that category of aircraft, of which at least 10 hours are dual instruction as required by Rule 61.801(a)(4).

OR

Where an applicant for an instrument rating is undertaking the instrument rating training course in conjunction with a 200 hour CPL (A) training course conducted in accordance with AC61-5 by a training organisation certificated under Part 141, where the certificate authorises the holder to conduct that training.
(i) 50 hours cross-country flight time in aeroplanes, which is to include the 20 hours training in accordance with the CPL (A) cross-country navigation syllabus set out in Appendix II of AC61-5 and 10 hours dual instrument cross-country flight time under an IFR flight plan; and
(ii) 40 hours instrument time; and
(iii) 20 hours instrument flight time in that category of aircraft, of which at least 10 hours are dual instruction as required by rule 61.801(a)(4).
===========================

So sorry its a little more than the 20 hours you were hoping for. The important part here is the 40 hours instrument time. But also see how it says only 20 hours instrument flight time, meaning the other 20 hours (maximum) can be done in an approved simulator, which could save you some coin!

Cost wise, its been a while but about $100 - 150 for each exam for ASL, then the ASL examiner and test fee when the time comes, somewhere around $700? but you can check all that on ASL's website.

Then just your flying time to make up the hours and training where required with your instructor. Costs will obviously vary depending on if you want to do a single or multi engine rating. Also keep in mind Airways and Airport fees, and flight plan charges.

Good luck!

mar1234
2nd Mar 2011, 10:22
Hi there, as a rough guide, on a PPL licence you need to hold cpl met and i think cpl law exam credits along with all three IFR exams. Then have to have undertaken a approved ground course at an approved FTO. Flight time as acceptable by the director, i think its 40 hours of instrument time. 20 of which can be done in a approved simulator. 20 hours in the aircraft. You need night rating privileges. Then a flight test.

Have a look on asl website for exam costs i think its about $130 per exam.
depending where you train. $100 per hours for sim training and $240 hour dual instruction, plus landing and airways fees. Then $695 for a flight test.

so assuming you are an awsome pilot and get through on minimums. You would be talking $8500-9000. hope that helps

FlyingKiwi_73
2nd Mar 2011, 18:29
bloody hell! i have new found respect for the few i know that have their PIFR.
Its like a another PPL! all over again.
I have 100+ hrs PPL and 15 hours Instrument (10 + the required 5 for PPL) and Night flying (about 2 hours night solo but i don't yet have my NVFR) I don't have 50 hours cross country either, that was a surprise!

I'm guessing in this case cross country is counted as landing at an airfeild that was not the departure point?

I have enjoyed Instrument flying so i have kept it up and was thinking of starting the course formally, i was hoping some of that instrument time can be used (its all recorded dual tuition with a B-Cat)

Do you really need CPL Met?

Not sure the wife is going to go for this :{

Inverted Flat Spin
2nd Mar 2011, 18:42
Yes you need CPL Met and CPL HF, and don't forget that's 50hrs PIC cross country. Once you have your IR you will need 3 hrs instrument time and 3 approaches in the past 90 days to keep it current.

FlyingKiwi_73
2nd Mar 2011, 19:11
Is that 3 approved Instrument Approaches, like the NDB approach for NZPP (for example) you don't need to do any ILS stuff for the PIFR do you... finding an aircraft with that kit could be expensive.

CPL Human Factors too... crikey.

Maybe this was not such a good idea.... maybe its tail dragger time?

Sqwark2000
2nd Mar 2011, 19:32
3 approaches for the aids you are rated on. You can do your IR test on just the aids you want. So if you're not planning on using ILS equipped aircraft and/or airports then you can do just a NDB/VOR IR.

For currency, a NDB approach covers a VOR and vice versa as they are both considered Non-precision. If you have ILS you'll need to do 3 of them as well to keep your ILS current, same with GPS.

In addition to the above you'll also need a Class 1 Audio endorsement on your medical.

S2K

FlyingKiwi_73
2nd Mar 2011, 19:47
I Understand, i have a full and current Class 1 medical.

So you can fly the same approach 3 times :-)

flyinkiwi
2nd Mar 2011, 21:40
FK73, just take the plunge and do a CPL and SE-IFR. You know you want to! :}

Inverted Flat Spin
3rd Mar 2011, 02:26
Yep you could fly the same approach 3 times and keep current wearing plastic clouds on a sunny day. You would be best just doing vor/ndb or vor/gps