PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Airport, run or walk!!

bud89
1st Mar 2011, 13:38
If I'm flying in on US Airways, and connecting to a flight with Aer Lingus to Cork (all purchased as ONE flight), AND I only have 1 hour 10 minutes to make the connecting flight, how HARD is this going to be to do?

I know in the states, when I fly in from overseas I have to pick up my checked baggage, THEN go thru customs, THEN recheck all the baggage onto to the new airline. Is this the same for a flight purchased from start point to end point (cork) coming thru Manchester??

I don't want to book this flight if there's no way i'll make the connecting flight in time!!

Thanks!!

Fernanjet
1st Mar 2011, 14:15
It will take you almost that long to collect your baggage in Manchester!

I wouldnt book it personally.....its quite tight even if you were parked on adjacent stands....not a lot of leeway for delays

MUFC_fan
1st Mar 2011, 14:22
Although we do say over here that our boarders let anyone in, we do have one of the strictest boarder controls in the world so you may spend a bit of time waiting.

I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Is via DUB not cheaper anyway? Certainly avoid rip-off UK taxes that way...

rareair
1st Mar 2011, 14:23
I can't speak for if Manchester lets you take full advantage - but there is no requirement to enter the UK on this trip.

Despite the Republic of Ireland and the UK forming the "Common Travel Area" this does not change the customs arrangements and (assuming you are not a UK/ROI passport holder) you are still subject to full immigration checks upon arrival in Cork.

At Heathrow the process would be:

Land
Follow signs for flight connections
Hand baggage security scan
Departure Lounge

You would not have to claim your checked luggage as you are not entering the UK. (In the same way that passengers flying London - IAH / MIA - South America don't have to claim and recheck bags at these two hubs)

Like I said I can't remember if Manchester has an airside route between T2 (US arrivals) and T1 (EI departures). I suspect not, but you still shouldn't have to claim your bag.

pwalhx
1st Mar 2011, 14:36
If your ticket is a through ticket then your bags should also be checked through so there should be no need to collect them. Maybe check that with the airline.

You will need to transfer from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 so go to the transfer desk, however if you have to come out of the terminal it is probably 10-15 minutes walk from 2 to 1 through the skybridge.

I do no see it as an impossible connection personally.

bud89
1st Mar 2011, 14:41
Ok, we're still fairly young, so we can move pretty quickly if we need to. How often does Aer Lingus have flights from Manchester to Cork IN CASE we miss the connection??

**nevermind, just checked, only 2 per day, around 9am and 9pm.

rareair
1st Mar 2011, 14:57
If you're both fairly young, why not book it, and see it as a 50% chance of an opportunity to head into town and have a nice day out in Manchester?

Loads to do, the city centre is pretty compact and easily accessible, trains run to Piccadilly every few minutes which is a short walk from everything, and there are even free buses around town from just outside the station.

I can think of worse places to be stuck for 9 hours.........

bud89
1st Mar 2011, 15:09
I'll probably chance it, never been to Manchester before, so like you said, what's the worst that can happen?? lol

jet2impress
1st Mar 2011, 15:38
Personally I think this will be a very tight connection. You will need to clear the UK border in T2 as there is no airside access to link T2 and T1 together. Once you've done that, you have a 10 minute walk to T1 and then you'll need to clear security and make your way to the gate. As a previous poster said, it's not impossible, but it sure will be tight.

ian_h1
1st Mar 2011, 16:09
There are connections desks before immigration in T2 and they usually transfer you airside by bus.

As you are ticketed all the way through you shouldn't need to collect baggage it can be transferred directly. It's very similar to the route rareair mentioned that would happen at lhr.

If you are on twitter you could dm @manairport they will have the latest transfer information (bizarrely it isnt on the website) but all in I would risk it personally.

STATSMAN
1st Mar 2011, 16:39
Transfer desks no longer there, went about 9 months ago. Passengers go through UK Border Control, as no border control from UK to Ireland. We get many a passenger hot footing it to T1 or T3 for domestic or Irish flights.

STATSMAN

wesleyscott
1st Mar 2011, 17:14
i tried it last month connecting and JUST missed the flight...i allowed an hour and a half but because i landed at 1730 along with what seemed 3 other flights i got stuck at passport control in the longest queue ever.
I did ask if there was a fastrack route for connecting and was politely told NO...best of luck but i would try another route

bud89
1st Mar 2011, 17:40
THANKS for all the replies. I definately appreciate the help. It might all be mute now, I believe the wife would like to change the flight to Prague now! :ugh:LOL. Any suggestions on that?? Anyone think Prague would make a nice holiday?? :E

jimtherev
1st Mar 2011, 17:58
Prague - beautiful, wonderful city; friendly people. English spoken in lots of places; German too. (Except by police, as I discovered when pocket picked:ugh:)
Gets a bit shrill at weekends as it is a fave spot for stag / hen parties from other countries in W. Europe.

Hotel Tango
1st Mar 2011, 18:01
If I had the choice I'd take Ireland. If you go to Cork, take a trip down to Kinsale. Great little place with some great restaurants.

Yep, Prague is infested with pick-pockets.

bud89
1st Mar 2011, 18:15
Every big city is infested with pick pockets. We've been all over Europe, but never to Prague. Been around Ireland too, so that's why we were thinking of Prague, somewhere different. Will DEFINATELY miss my Smithwicks and Jameson though!!!! LOL :)

speke2me
2nd Mar 2011, 00:29
Can anyone please explain why a PAX transiting through a hub, eg AMS, FRA, ZRH, has to to come out of airside and redo the queues, security checks etc?

I'm sure years ago you were kept airside and there was no hassle?

It's a major hassle now to go through a hub (my last turnaround being 45 mins, and I was last PAX at the gate), rush round all the passport and security checks, only to find yourself sat back in the same seat on the same plane for the next leg?

Someone, whether security, logistics, or whoever, ought to get their act together. Legging around an airport, undoing belts etc, seems a bit facile when three quarters of an hour later I end up sat back on the same plane in the same seat? Having been fully security screened at the first airport. Why double the hassle? Does it protect us from terrorists more?

Seems a silly situation that could be avoided?

BassoRider
2nd Mar 2011, 19:37
Czech beer is better than Irish anyway, so you won't miss the Smithwick's.

speke2me
8th Mar 2011, 17:25
"Every big city is infested with pick pockets. We've been all over Europe"

Try Barcelona. Pick pockets are the first challenge. Then the con artists start...

;)

Pax Vobiscum
18th Mar 2011, 12:06
Can anyone please explain why a PAX transiting through a hub, eg AMS, FRA, ZRH, has to to come out of airside and redo the queues, security checks etc?
If it's a flight from/to the UK, it may well be a Schengen thing, in that you're changing from one security regime to another. All part of the general European approach of "beatings will continue until morale improves".

Hartington
24th Mar 2011, 17:38
I know we've moved on but I finally got the airport to tell me where to find the answer to the original query.

Manchester Airport : MyAirport (http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/MANInfo/MyAirport)

and select "Transferring"

I've tried to get there from the home page but even though I know where I want to go I can't find it! Oh and the capitals in the URL seem to be critical.

Found it ... from the home page select to/from the airport and then my airport guide. Obvious really (not).

Piltdown Man
24th Mar 2011, 19:18

It definitely is a Schengen Agreement requirement. It's also very unlikely to change in the near future. But at AMS, if you have a short connection (<40mins), you may use the "Short Connection" lane and skip a fair chunk of the queue.

PM

ExXB
25th Mar 2011, 11:18
Is it not because a 'passport control' is necessary for all passengers leaving Schengen for a third country? i.e. Non-schengen resident's passports should be stamped showing their date leaving the Schengen area.

Not all airports have an additional security check after this though. GVA for example.

nicolai
26th Mar 2011, 23:13
passengers flying London - IAH / MIA - South America don't have to claim and recheck bags at these two hubs

Could you provide a reference for this, please?

This is unlike every other US airport where the CBP requires inbound arrivals from outside the USA to clear Customs and Immigration in the first US airport they arrive, which requires claiming their bags for Customs, then rechecking them.

ian_h1
3rd Apr 2011, 10:47
T2 to T1
Transfer desks no longer there, went about 9 months ago. Passengers go through UK Border Control, as no border control from UK to Ireland. We get many a passenger hot footing it to T1 or T3 for domestic or Irish flights.

STATSMAN

Came through T2 yesterday and connections still signed opposite immigration - appeared to be open.

Dairyground
5th Apr 2011, 23:49
This is unlike every other US airport where the CBP requires inbound arrivals from outside the USA to clear Customs and Immigration in the first US airport they arrive, which requires claiming their bags for Customs, then rechecking them.

As far as I know that is only true if your continuation is on a US internal flight, or perhaps it's if it's on a US carrier. It was a couple of years or more ago when I flew with Air New Zealand from LHR to AKL via LAX, but on that occasion all us transit passengers had to go through US immigration, though we were not allowed beyong the departure gate lounge, but our checked bags stayed on the aircraft.

MUFC_fan
15th Apr 2011, 09:13
"Every big city is infested with pick pockets. We've been all over Europe"

Try Barcelona. Pick pockets are the first challenge. Then the con artists start...

Why not just cut out the DUB link and try Manchester for a break? You've got sporting grounds on your doorstep, one of Europe's biggest shopping centres (plus the city shopping isn't so bad either!). The Lake District 1h 30m north, amazing cities like York and Chester near by. Or you could jump on a train/plane to Edinburgh, Glasgow, London etc.

jackieofalltrades
15th Apr 2011, 13:48
As far as I know that is only true if your continuation is on a US internal flight, or perhaps it's if it's on a US carrier. It was a couple of years or more ago when I flew with Air New Zealand from LHR to AKL via LAX, but on that occasion all us transit passengers had to go through US immigration, though we were not allowed beyong the departure gate lounge, but our checked bags stayed on the aircraft.

That may have been the case many years ago, but now, irrespective of whether you're continuing on an internal US flight, or transferring through the US on to another country you still have to clear US immigration, collect your suitcase to clear customs then re-check it for your onward flight.
I have done this many a time when transferring through the US, even on connections where I'll be in the US for less than 90 minutes.