PDA

View Full Version : Ratings on piggy-bag and vice-versa

XLC
1st Mar 2011, 13:07
I have a foreign licence PPL(A) that is dependent on my UK JAR-FCL PPL(A).
The question is about taildragger rating. Both countries have some differences in requirements. It is quite obvious that a proper training is necessary. That is not the point. This question is whether or not a taildragger-'rating' authorised by the foreign authorities is possible if you do not have that very same specification on your original licence.

I can understand that you could not 'legally' fly a taildragger in the UK on a G-taildragger if you do not hold the prerequisite JAR training/approval (even if you have a solid experience on type overseas). But a couple of weeks ago a pilot with a FAA piggy bag licence w/ a valid rating had an accident in the UK with a N-plane, and it was observed that he was not holding that same rating on his UK JAR 'mother'-licence. Hence my initial question.

ps:
a subsidiary question would be if you can be checked (i.e. with the three type of landings) by a JAR instructor for approval or if you do have to go through the I think 4 or 5 hours training.

stevelup
1st Mar 2011, 13:54
Tailwheel differences training in the UK does not have any specifications laid down for it.

In other words, what you do, how you do it and how much of it you do isn't stipulated - it's left to the discretion of your instructor.

I did just over three hours and 15 landings.

The tailwheel differences training does not go on your licence either - it's just a signed entry in the front of your logbook.

Maoraigh1
1st Mar 2011, 20:39
(i.e. with the three type of landings)
What are the three types? I fly a tailwheel aircraft on grandfather rights. I can only think of two.

B2N2
1st Mar 2011, 21:01
OK here is my intrepretation;
I've just checked the FAA regulation 61.75 which deals with piggy-back certificates

(e) Operating privileges and limitations. A person who receives a U.S. private pilot certificate that has been issued under the provisions of this section:

(1) May act as pilot in command of a civil aircraft of the United States in accordance with the pilot privileges authorized by this part and the limitations placed on that U.S. pilot certificate;

(2) Is limited to the privileges placed on the certificate by the Administrator;

(3) Is subject to the limitations and restrictions on the person's U.S. certificate and foreign pilot license when exercising the privileges of that U.S. pilot certificate in an aircraft of U.S. registry operating within or outside the United States; and

Tail wheel is not a rating, it is a training requirement in accordance with 61.31(i) which requires a logbook endorsement.
So it is not a privilige which is placed on the person's certificate.

If the person involved in the accident had a logbook endorsement from a FAA CFI in accordance with 61.31 (i) they should be in the clear.

*** Disclaimer, do not rely on advise given on anonymous internet forums ***

BackPacker
1st Mar 2011, 21:19
This question is whether or not a taildragger-'rating' authorised by the foreign authorities is possible if you do not have that very same specification on your original licence.

Apart from taildragger not being a "rating" (as described above), the general consensus is that it's a bad idea to start piling additional endorsements, rating and whatnot onto a "piggyback" certificate.

The reason is that you're building a house of cards, that will come tumbling down if one of the base cards crumbles.

As an example which might not be too ficticious: Your FAA piggyback PPL is tied to a JAA license with a specific number. If EASA gets its wish and your UK-issued JAA license is replaced with an EASA license, the license number might change. This will not only invalidate the FAA piggyback PPL, but also anything that you added to it.

So if you want to add anything to an FAA PPL, get a standalone one. Use the piggyback only for a flying holiday.

What are the three types?

The "arrival"
The "good landing": The one you can walk away from
The "great landing": The one that lets you use the plane again afterwards
:E

XLC
1st Mar 2011, 23:04
Thank you all for your own input. The main point of the thread was about the legal aspect only.

To clarify the 'three types of landing" I meant training for three-point landing, wheeling and cross-wind landing.

Whopity
2nd Mar 2011, 07:29
and your UK-issued JAA license is replaced with an EASA license, the license number might changeAs the licence will continue to be issued Nationally and not by EASA, this is unlikely however, for 11 years App 1 to JAR-FCL 1.075 has stated:Requirements
III Licence number Licence number will always commence with the
U.N. country code of the State of licence issue. The UK has never adopted this.

XLC
2nd Mar 2011, 08:06
Socal, thanks for replying, but:
1. in my first paragraph I did put 'rating' in between '... ' and in the second one did talk about training/approval. You are correct that endorsement would have been a better term. But then again, the key-topic was about the legal aspect.
2. For the example listed to illustrate the main topic I intentionally refer to rating and not tailwheel endorsement.

In any case the posts of B2N2 did put it very clearly - thanks for the confirmation (and disclaimer) .