PDA

View Full Version : Seaplane Rating

Stonebird
8th Feb 2001, 15:04
A question ..
I hold a South African CPL, and want a seaplane rating. If I were to go to Canada, the US, or New Zealand to do it, could I do the rating there without validating my SA licence to that country´s licence?
Would such a rating then be valid on my SA licence?

Argentomagus
8th Feb 2001, 16:43
Bonjour, here is the general idea: An aditional rating given by the administration of country X can only be written on a licence issued by contry X.
i.e the FAA will add a rating on an FAA licence only so if you chose to do seaplane training in the USA you must get an FAA pilot certificate. The FAA canot give a "single engine sea" rating on a non FAA certificate.This means that you must get the certificate, not a validation of your SA license. The validation will allow you to exercise in the USA the privileges of your SA license.

Speedbird48
10th Feb 2001, 16:52
To get a seaplane rating in the US you must first get a validation of your foreign licence. It is free and can be done at any FAA FSDO. You must have a valid medical from the country for which you hold the pilot licence.
The ONLY certificate validation that the FAA will give you is a Private regardless of what other foriegn licences you may hold. i.e. An ATP from elsewhere will only get you a Private.
You can then go and get any FAA rating like a Seaplane or Multi-eng etc. Would SA validate a US rating, that you must ask them?