PDA

View Full Version : UK working on 'no-fly zone' plan for Libya

PAXboy
1st Mar 2011, 02:52
Britain is working with its allies on a plan to establish a military no-fly zone over Libya, says David Cameron.
BBC News - Cameron: UK working on 'no-fly zone' plan for Libya (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12598674)

I wonder how that will affect overflying commercial operations to central/east/southern Africa. If I recall correctly, the usual route for European carriers takes them over the coast at Tunis and then at various angles.

Some carriers may have already had to adjust their routing?

TightSlot
1st Mar 2011, 08:21
Don't know enough to be able to answer your question PAXboy, but somebody will.

The question uppermost in my mind when I see talk of policing a "No-Fly" zone is "with what?".

We now have no carrier-based aircraft, so that leaves us Tornados from bases in... Tunisia? Algeria? Egypt? Sudan? Niger? Chad? It's hard to imagine Malta happily allowing itself to become the worlds' combat aircraft carrier - they bravely did that once before and once may be enough

PAXboy
1st Mar 2011, 12:11
Indeed, TS, indeed.
RAF Jets Could Enforce Libya No-Fly Zone - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110301/twl-raf-jets-could-enforce-libya-no-fly-3fd0ae9.html)

Britain is considering basing Typhoon jets at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya, according to Sky News sources. Two VC10 tanker aircraft are already in Cyprus, and have been offering support during the extraction of civilians from Libya.
[cut]
France and the USA are also reportedly in favour of the action.
[they won't do anything]

I won't make any observations about the rights or wrongs of this. Just wait to see how it affects overflying, as I recall major diversions during similar problems in the middle east.

minstermineman
1st Mar 2011, 18:57
. . . and the USA are also reportedly in favour of the action.
[they won't do anything]

Stay at home hopefully ! I was nearby in the gulf when they shot down the commercial airliner ..........