PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 530 resources.

Plow King
1st Mar 2011, 02:44
G'day all

Does anyone know of any training resources for the Garmin 530. I have download the Manual (all 288 pages of it) and the Quick Reference Guide from the Garmin site, but was looking for something a little more interactive (short of blasting around in the aircraft at $XXX per hour!). I also found the PC based trainer, but unfortunately this isn't compatible with Windows 7.

I've read the QRG and it looks pretty straight forward, as are all Garmin products but I'm trying to do as much preparation as possible as I am renewing my MECIR for the first time in 9 years (the same amount of time since I last flew for a "steady" income).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

PK

rioncentu
1st Mar 2011, 02:56
I know of a (paid) Iphone app. I don't know if its good or bad.

aussie027
1st Mar 2011, 03:48
Plowking,
I have a trainer on my PC, .
I found these links, not sure if they are the same as mine but most probably are. I cant remember if this is where I got mine from as its been nearly 10yrs.

Mine has the GPS box and a HSI display underneath and alongside a speed and altitude control box.
If you have the manuals you can then follow the instruction and operate everything on the box with the mouse.
It is not a step by step instruction prog, they cost money. LOL

Free 400/500 Series & GNS 480 Simulators (http://www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html)

This one has WAAS, u wont need that here in Aust. LOL

Garmin: 400W/500W Series Trainer - WAAS Updates & Downloads (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3532)

rioncentu
1st Mar 2011, 04:06
I think he knows of the trainer but it won't run on his WIndows.

The trainer is sure the way to go if you can run it.

aussie027
1st Mar 2011, 04:13
Yes but this should run on win 7 in compatibility mode or whatever they call it now???.
Dont know if this is the one he already found or not.

Warbo
1st Mar 2011, 10:02
I bought the King Schools CD rom pack from their website. It is very good, shows some good tricks.

PyroTek
1st Mar 2011, 11:09
Yes but this should run on win 7 in compatibility mode or whatever they call it now???.

Just tried that, no luck.:{

Plow King
1st Mar 2011, 11:54
Thanks Aussie, they were the ones I had already come across and they didn't take a liking to Windows 7 in compatibilty mode or otherwise. However, you got me thinking - I could try them in XP mode via the Virtual PC (although I've had limited luck with using that with other dated applications).

Warbo, that might be worth the investment - it sounds like a lot of money ($US289), but I guess that's less than an hour in the aircraft so it could pay for itself.

aussie027
1st Mar 2011, 18:04
Plow King,
I take it you have 7 ultimate that has virtual xp??

I am actually running XP on my pcs so no problem there. very disturbing to hear that old progs may not run in virtual xp though.:{

there are other pay for discs I think cheaper than King at $290 odd.
Ive got 1 here from my old work in US when we first got the 530. If I can find it Ill post details for you.