PDA

View Full Version : Overseas crew entering Australia on Tag Flights

The Kelpie
28th Feb 2011, 00:42
Just reading about Crew Travel Authority on the Immigration Website. It says that "Crew operating commercial flights into Australia should be registered with a Crew Travel Authority (CTA). It raised a question for me.

On a Jetstar flight from an overseas base to Melbourne would overseas flight crew / Cabin crew be required to go through Customs and Immigration at Darwin (or the first port of entry) before proceeding to Melbourne being their first port of call in Australia?

If the answer is yes - Would that mean that if the same overseas crew flew the 'Tag Flight' from Darwin to Melbourne they would be undertaking work for the purposes of immigration bearing in mind that for immigration purposes - “Work” is defined as “an activity that, in Australia, normally attracts remuneration.” ?

If they are undertaking "work" what provision of the Crew Travel Authority by which they legally enter Australia without a visa allows such work?

If the CTA does allow such "work" then why should the overseas crew not be entitled to the same pay and conditions as an Australian with work rights??

If Overseas crew are to be paid the same as Australian Crew, What is the point of off-shoring jobs?

.........Just a thought

More to Follow

The Kelpie

airtags
28th Feb 2011, 03:36
Kelpie, not a GA issue, but you raise a valid point that is largely exploited or indeed could be further exploited. I'm sure though the carrier in question would broadly argue that the DRW>MEL tack-on is a domestic leg of the international flight -

That said, I'm of the belief that DRW is the port of entry and that even with a continuation of the Flight number it's a totally new sector.

Where it will get messy is that the carier in question operates the inbound to DRW under IASC route approval initially given to the parent carrier but in 2010, it was reclassified on application to enable the QF approved capacity to be utilised by QF, JQ, or....(wait for it)...'another majority owned subsidiary of the QF Group'....

This is the kind of back dooring that will ultimately kill Australian job and opportunities.

AT

The Kelpie
28th Feb 2011, 06:09
Thanks Airtags

I know it is not a GA issue but the mods moved it here.

The mind boggles!

MODS: Please moved this thread back to D&G Reporting Points as it has IMHO been moved inappropriately given the persons likely to answer this are Airline Pilots and Cabin Crew

Warragul
1st Nov 2012, 08:23
Looks like DIAC want to take some action to tighten the rules up.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/discussion-papers/_pdf/visas-inter-airline-crew.pdf

The Kelpie
1st Nov 2012, 10:40
Thanks for the update.

I don't particularly like the wording of any of the options but I suppose option 1 is the pick of the bunch save for the apparent typo in the last sentence. I believe it should read 'departs Australia TO an international port'

Neither do I much care for unexpected circumstances provisions. The migration regulations are suppose to be black and white and the individuals are allowed to work here or they are not. Any relaxation or loophoes, temporary or not will be attempts to be exploited as per historical experience. Have you watched Border Security on TV? Absolutely no compassion and the rules is the rules!!

Get writing everyone to make a difference.

More to Follow

The Kelpie

The Kelpie
2nd Nov 2012, 11:51
Smash

You obviously don't know me very well!!

The big difference is the other airlines do not fill the aircraft up with purely domestic passengers who have no intention or desire of leaving the country on the international leg!!

More to Follow

The Kelpie