PDA

View Full Version : Susi Air

nomorecatering
27th Feb 2011, 06:24
Is anyone getting an interview in March 6?

is it worth having a go.

Im thinking of it, change of scenery, get out of Oz for a while. Got 4000TT 400 ME

Thoughts anyone................yes I have read everything I can find about Susi.

Professional Amateur
27th Feb 2011, 06:51
yes, you have nothing to lose.

RadioSaigon
27th Feb 2011, 07:45
OK, so it's Mar 6 in MLB -but where?

Can anyone provide full details please? I may be interested in popping down myself. Would appreciate any info available.

Unregistered User
27th Feb 2011, 07:47
Disagree with P.A; but I'd say you have nothing to "lose" :}

TomasSK
28th Feb 2011, 05:19
Is the interview opened? Because I still havent got any invitation. I sent my application 2 days ago....
Thanks

training wheels
28th Feb 2011, 16:06
Im thinking of it, change of scenery, get out of Oz for a while. Got 4000TT 400 ME

Thoughts anyone................yes I have read everything I can find about Susi.

With your kind of experience, you'd be better off applying to PT Sky Aviation. (Susi Air are usually looking for newbie CPLs with 200 hours.) Sky Aviation have been operating charters from Bali and Lombok but have recently started scheduled passenger flights from Surabaya, to Bayuwangi and Denpasar (Bali) using C208's. They just recently announced orders for 5 Fokker 50's to expand their services. As far as I know, they do have a few expat crews. And having an instructor rating also helps as they have some affiliation with a local flight school in Lombok.

Sky Aviation - Fly Smart, Fly SKy (http://www.sky-aviation.co.id/cms/)

Blueyonda
7th Mar 2011, 21:16
Did anyone go for an interview? What is happening with SUSI AIR??

mcgrath50
8th Mar 2011, 02:04
While we are at it, I had a chat to the guy on the stand at the airshow and he mentioned they operate their aircraft as 2 crew rather than single pilot. Does this mean the months/year(s) you spend as the 'co-pilot' (first officer? :}) of the caravan are useless as it's a single pilot plane, or can they be logged and if they can, are they any use for future employment prospects?

lilflyboy262
8th Mar 2011, 11:41
Just like the B1900 mcgrath?

training wheels
9th Mar 2011, 00:13
While we are at it, I had a chat to the guy on the stand at the airshow and he mentioned they operate their aircraft as 2 crew rather than single pilot. Does this mean the months/year(s) you spend as the 'co-pilot' (first officer? :}) of the caravan are useless as it's a single pilot plane, or can they be logged and if they can, are they any use for future employment prospects?

Ummm... you should have asked the guy at the stand at the airshow ... :E

mcgrath50
9th Mar 2011, 01:45
I did. The answer was as clear as mud and they stated they weren't sure of the Aussie rules anyway. Which makes me assumes it's not positive news!

training wheels
9th Mar 2011, 01:54
I did. The answer was as clear as mud and they stated they weren't sure of the Aussie rules anyway. Which makes me assumes it's not positive news!

well, there's no column in your logbook for single engine co-pilot time... surely that would give you a hint ;)

mcgrath50
9th Mar 2011, 02:10
It's like extracting blood from a stone but thanks TW, didn't think to check my logbook coloumns, woops! :ouch:

lilflyboy262
9th Mar 2011, 06:55
Except for now they are coming out with aircraft like the PC12 which is commonly operated two crew around the world and is single engine?

Indonesia has/had a requirement that you must operate two crew if you carry over 9 passengers. Just because it is signed off as a single pilot aircraft doesnt mean jack.
As I said before, the B1900 is signed off as a single pilot aircraft as well.

The problem before was more the legality of the licences at the time. Whether this is still a issue, I dont know.

Also have heard a rumour that they may be operating single crew now, just waiting to hear from a friend whos working there if this is the case.

Vpilot53
25th Mar 2011, 05:28
Hey Guys

Can someone help me out in regards to questions that may be asked in my interview with Susi Air and also whats involved in the Tests they give you.

Cheers

Vpilot53
25th Mar 2011, 05:32
Regarding logging hrs in a c208 single engine turbine: I spoke to CASA about this you can still log them you just log them as co-pilot time under the multi-engine copilot time. Very Strange but thats from the horses mouth. Apperantly it was suggested to use a different colour pen if you want but they said you can see what type of aircraft it is by looking at it in the Aircraft type.

This may help out with some of your questions

samasama
25th Mar 2011, 07:32
I checked with CASA (Australian regulator) before coming over to join Susi Air last year and CASA emailed me a reply which stated that the hours logged as a co-pilot should be logged in the co-pilot multi time column with the note that you must remember to deduct 50% of logged co-pilot time from your total aeronautical experience (if you have an Australian log book this calculation appears at the bottom of the page, apologies if I am not explaining myself very well.)

As for what you can expect at the interview I can give you my experience as a guide however I believe it is fairly typical of what most candidates undertake.

You will arrive at the Senjaya office (or perhaps Menteng now) and usually be amongst a group of other candidates. An information session is given to you about Susi Air etc. (The company used to provide you with up to 2 nights accommodation at a hotel in Jakarta at their expense, I'm not sure if this is still the case though.)

Thereafter you are asked to complete two written tests. The first test is based around CPL subjects such as MET, Basic Air law, Navigation etc.

The second test is around IFR and the C208. You will need to know some things about the C208B such as the inertial separator, locations of various equipment, PT6 engine. If I remember correctly each paper has 25 questions.

The next part of your interview involves the Compass test. (I tried to find information about this via Google before I came over and what I found on Google was not what I ended up with.) The Compass test given by Susi Air runs for 2 hours roughly. The first part of the test asks you 250 questions about your personality and how you react to certain situations etc.

The second part of the Compass tests is made up of several mini tests each of which is timed. One tests your mathematical ability, another is a memory test (the screen will show you a series of items such as heading, altitude, transponder code etc. These then disappear and you must then tune the relevant instruments on the screen.) In another test you have a joystick and rudder pedals in front of you which are used to try to keep a dot centred on a certain part of the screen. There are a couple more mini tests as well but it's been a bit too long now so I have forgotten them.

Unless you are completely uncoordinated, can't remember any of your CPL subjects, haven't read about the Caravan and the PT6 engine you should find it relatively straight forward.

At the end of all those tests you will then have a one on one interview. Here you will again be asked about the PT6 engine and the Caravan, your willingness to work in a 3rd world country etc. Depending on who completes your one on one interview you are likely to be given more information about the company and that's pretty much it.

As I said I joined Susi Air last year and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I do understand though it is certainly not for everyone and only you know yourself if your the type who can handle living in a foreign country where things are done differently to back home.

From my experience, the Indonesian people are an incredibly friendly bunch of people and if you make the effort right from the start to learn a bit of Indonesian and their culture you will be welcomed warmly. The flying is out of this world, you move bases monthly as a co-pilot and you get to fly new G1000 Caravans (The legacy Caravans are all in Papua and you generally go to Papua towards the end of your co-pilot time prior to upgrading to Captain.)

There is a lot of information about Susi Air posted on PPrune and not all of it is true. Yes there certainly are the downsides to the company and the country but in my experience the benefits outweigh the negatives for me.

mcgrath50
25th Mar 2011, 12:31
Thanks for the info,

Can you add how long to command and approximately the rates of pay?

Flying_phoenix
27th Mar 2011, 10:03
Give it a bash if you can.... Lots of guys have gone and got some Turbine time while having a good time!!

ronaldo69
22nd Apr 2011, 23:35
The interview works more like this.
Question 1. Are you willing to work for free to help us make money? Yes. 2. Are you so foolish that will you fly in the worst weather on earth and sacrifice your life to have your ego fulfilled being a pilot? Yes. 3. Will you lie to your friends and screw them when the appropriate time comes when it gets down to you or them moving up a little bit in the world? Yes. 4. Will you promise not to to write up a snag if that means that the company would lose a bit of revenue? Yes 5. Do you promise to work up to any amount of hours and fly overweight even when we all know its illegal if that is what we ask you to do? Yes. 6. Do you promise never to complain or say anything bad against Susi and Christian even though they are the most greedy scum on earth who would screw you the first chance they get and could care less if you crashed and burned up in some jungle and were never found, as long as the insurance paid out in the aircraft? Yes.
You Passed By the way, this will cover most interviews at most airlines worldwide.

lilflyboy262
24th Apr 2011, 09:23
Sounds like you need a career change then

MikeTangoEcho
24th Apr 2011, 11:50
and could care less if you crashed and burned up

(unrelated_rant)

It's COULDN'T care less. COULDN'T!!

Could implies you care somewhat and have the capacity to care a little less..

F:mad:ing American slang..

(/unrelated_rant)

bankrunner
24th Apr 2011, 11:58
Do Susi have jobs only on the C208, or is there PC-6 work going as well?

The Porter looks like an absolute blast to fly.

samasama
25th Apr 2011, 10:11
Ronaldo69, not sure where you got those questions from but from my experience most of them are not true.

Q1. The pay. Yes the pay is not great at Susi Air. However, the cost of living in Indonesia is cheap and when you consider your housing, transport, food etc is also paid for it is possible to live from the salary. A starting Captains on $2,000USD tax free per month which is better than what starting crews are paid in the US on larger regional aircraft.

Q2. Fly in the worst weather on earth? Please, don't be so insulting. The weather in Europe, Alaska, Candada, USA can be much worse than here. None of the crews I have ever worked with WOULD EVER put themselves at risk of flying in any adverse weather. We ALL want to get home at the end of the day and enjoy our lives.

Q3. Lie and screw your friends? Maybe that says something about your personality, or your maturity level. Personally I don't need to lie or screw any of my friends.

Q4. Promise not to write up a snag. Never been an issue for me so far.

Q5.Work any amount of hours and fly overweight. Sorry mate but your seriously barking up the wrong tree here. We monitor our F & D times and daily have to upload them to the web so that adherence to the regs is maintained. As for flying overweight, I've done W & B on my legs and NEVER once have I nor any of the crew I have flown with EVER agreed to fly overweight. Either pax, baggage or cargo comes off, simple. It's our lives at the end of the day and so far I haven't flown with anyone who wants to shorten theirs or mine.

Q6. Re: Susi and Christian. OK I will grant you that you may have some truth in this comment.

Ronaldo69, I don't want to enter into any debate or slanging match with you. Maybe you were burnt by the company in the past I don't know and that is why you feel the way you do.

The company has it's good and bad points, but then so does everywhere. It's up to you what you make of the experience though. For the others I say come with your eyes wide open and enjoy the experience for what it is and that for most people is a very good start logging turbine time in brand new well equipped aircraft, especially when compared to the smaller backyard GA operators in other countries who fly 30 - 40 year old aircraft and do force their young naive pilots into working overweight, over hours etc.

Bankrunner, yes there are jobs available on the Porters. They don't come up very often though for good reason :-)

EmanuelDesperados
17th May 2011, 18:51
Anybody know anything about how many pilots still needed and how many are invited for interview?

Is anyone going for the interview in Jakarta on the 17th of June? EXPENSIVE ticket!!

nomorecatering
18th May 2011, 05:34
I heared a rumour that they were only interested in low time guys. Is there any truth to that>

AussieNick
18th May 2011, 06:39
do they still have the 23yr old age requirement? I applied with them 2 years ago and got told, apart from the fact I wasn't 23, they'd have offered me a job no problems.

L0u0k0e
18th May 2011, 09:16
Hey AussieNick, according to a recent ad they had up on AFAP, the min age 23 requirement is still in place.

samasama
18th May 2011, 11:07
There is an ongoing need for new FO's as things begin picking up around the world. There is a continual turn over of Captains (and therefore FO's upgrading) as they get their 500 PIC and move on to shiny jet jobs/turboprops etc elsewhere.

I believe in the June interview they are looking for up to 10 FO's and pretty much a similar number each month going forward.

Susi Air signed for another 10 Caravans earlier this month which will bring the number in service this year to around 40 Caravans. 7 Porters and a few choppers.

Good luck.

samasama
18th May 2011, 11:09
G'day nomorecatering,

That rumour is not true. A recently bunch of guys who came through had anything from 500 hours up to 2000 hours TT.

Susi Air used to like the lower hour guys specifically because they knew that they would keep them for 2 years whilst they built up the hours before leaving.

Recently there was an ad on AFAP and they were asking for Captains with a minimum of 1200 hours, FO's 250 hours and flying instructors with 350 hours.

nomorecatering
18th May 2011, 11:36
mmm I have 4000 hrs or there abouts, all of it instructing and basically had enough of the sheltered workshop. So am considering something different.

Have they sorted out the work visa issues, can one be legally emplyed in Indonesia. The rep at Avalon said they employ expats as they cant get enogh local pilots.True/false?

What about bases, are you allways moved around between bases. Can you be lucky and score a permanent base?

Has the flying school started yet?

is there anyway to get a car from Aus to indonesia. Is it worth taking a car. I have one reasonably new, all paid for, but if I sell it i'll lose money.

samasama
20th May 2011, 03:13
You will initially be offered a 212 visa (Business visa) whilst they apply for your KETAS, which seem to be coming through quicker than they were in the past however you shouldn't expect it on day one. Everything takes time in Indonesia (karat jam = rubber time.) On the business visa you have to leave the country and re-enter every 60 days. It's a good opportunity to go to Singapore/KL etc for a day or two and stock up on things you can't get here as well as giving you a break.

As a FO you will be moved bases every 4 weeks roughly. Once you are a Captain you bid for your permanent base.

The flying school is looking for instructors again now (ground and flying positions.) As far as I know Susi can only employ foreign pilots and get a KETAS on the condition that for every foreigner she employs she pays a fee which is supposed to go towards training an Indonesian to do the same job. As for not being able to get enough local pilots, I believe that is the case although I don't work in recruiting and as such don't know about the applicants. I can say though that I have only met 3 Indonesian pilots amongst our ranks.

I would seriously not suggest bringing a car to this country. The roads are in such extremely poor state for a start. Drivers and cars are also so cheap that you can be driven around by locals in brand new air conditioned vehicles easily and cheaply. You'd also end up having to pay a few different officials a 'suap.'

BHDown
19th Jul 2011, 11:10
Does Susi Air do a pre-employement drug test? Is anti-histamine or other over-the- counter medication a reason to fail it?

flyhigh07
22nd Jul 2011, 06:59
do susi air have an age requirement ? are they accepting resumes from aged 23 only?

aseanaero
23rd Jul 2011, 06:06
How many aircraft does Susi have now ? I heard another batch of Grand Caravans on the way and possibly a Citation X ?

samasama
3rd Aug 2011, 12:41
@flyhigh07 - Minimum age to apply is still 23. No maximum (a recent joiner is 52.)

@DHBrown - No, there is no pre-employment drug tests done.

@aseanaero - 45 aircraft as at mid July. 10 more Caravans on their way. 4 more Porters and 1 more Avanti.