PDA

View Full Version : PNG Airstrips

StudentPilot479
27th Feb 2011, 02:01
Just wondering if anyone has a relatively recent list of the airstrips in PNG with coordinates, length, slope, etc that they'd be willing to share.

SP

tinpis
27th Feb 2011, 02:33
Theres over 400 of the buggers
Troll through here

PNG Airstrip Guide - updated by Michael Butler - Papua New Guinea Forum (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14283)

Captain Nomad
27th Feb 2011, 04:07
Well, I've got a list that's more like 600... There's plenty of 'em, whether or not they are all serviceable is entirely another matter...

StudentPilot479
27th Feb 2011, 08:03
Thanks Tinpis...there's 582 airstrips listed plus some other waypoints.

I don't suppose there's a list of closed (or open) airstrips floating around between the operators in PNG by chance?

Captain Nomad
28th Feb 2011, 02:56
All operators are required to keep their own airstrip 'intelligence' manuals. What used to be the standard listing, the AGA (a bit like ERSA but not), produced by CAA is no longer kept up to date. The responsibility of maintaining relevant airstrip information has been transferred to the operators. When I was up there a few years ago the CAA was not able to carry out inspections to open a new strip/re-open a closed one but rather wanted the operator to carry out the inspection process.

Operators have their own 'route and strip' registers but whether an open strip is useable can vary on almost a daily basis depending on everything from amount of rain overnight to whether the village is embroiled in a tribal fight. Operators who haven't been into a strip for a while will often call another operator who has been there more recently for an update.

Just because a strip is 'open' doesn't mean you can go in there either. There is a strict 'checking-in' process depending on your experience and hours in country. This is to help protect pilots and machines from the numerous death traps.

Waghi Warrior
28th Feb 2011, 03:47
I believe a lot of the smaller strips were automatically closed when the new rules came in to effect about 10 years ago. As mentioned Mike Butler's guide would be the best, and he is still currently operating up here. Alternatively you could also contact the operators, I'm sure MAF would have a good current database of the serviceable strips throughout the highlands.

Don't bother with anything from CAA as they basically have no one in flying operations at the moment, however I have heard from a pritty reliable source that CAA have just hired at least one new FOI, who should do very well given his background in PNG.

Captain Nomad
28th Feb 2011, 05:13
I don't think the smaller strips were 'automatically' closed. More a change in 'certification' process. Under the new rules the likes of a 373m Komako would not now be allowed and certified as a new strip. From memory a minimum of 5 or 600 metres is now required under the new rules. However all the old ones which were built under the old rules can still be used theoretically.

StudentPilot479
28th Feb 2011, 05:16
Thanks for explaining the airstrip register, makes plenty of sense other than every operator having their own (and possibly different) information.

I believe a lot of the smaller strips were automatically closed when the new rules came in to effect about 10 years ago.
How small are the strips that would have been affected? It would seem like a poor decision to arbitrarily close strips because they are under X meters or some other arbitrary value if there's someone who can safely operate in and out of the strip.

Captain Nomad
28th Feb 2011, 05:37
Re-read my last post - they weren't automatically closed. Plenty of them are still being used even though they don't meet the requirements for a new strip.

StudentPilot479
28th Feb 2011, 07:07
Sorry, I must have clicked through the page advising me there was a new post while I was writing. Whether the older short strips are closed or you just can't open new short strips doesn't really make much difference, it still seems like a strange decision to make if there is someone with a plane capable of operating into short strips safely.

Is the minimum length constant or does it vary depending on slope, obstacles, etc?