PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Exit Taxiways

maverick22
27th Feb 2011, 00:04
Hi,

Can someone point me to a reference in the jepps regarding max speed on a rapid exit taxiway.

Can't quite seem to find anything

Cheers :)

Sqwark2000
27th Feb 2011, 02:41
never heard of such a thing. Would be surprised there is one as ASI don't normally indicate til 35-40kts and as high as 60kts in larger aircraft. And that's pretty quick for taxiing.

The idea is you are still to control your speed so that you can stop at the hold line until you are cleared to do proceed.

oz in dxb
27th Feb 2011, 02:57
I believe that the maximum entry speed is 60kts.

Captahab
27th Feb 2011, 03:05
I have always believed its 60kts too, cannot think of a ref at the moment though.

I don't have my Jepps here just now, can someone have a look in Introduction - definitions ?

It may be there I think.

GAFA
27th Feb 2011, 04:36
Don't know if you will find the answer in JEPPs, but it could be in the Manual of Aerodrome Standards ( I think that's is name). It's the manual used by CASA and airport owners and it covers everything to do runways and taxiways. Try a search on the CASA site for it.

Trent 972
27th Feb 2011, 04:37
AERODROME STANDARDS (http://www.icao.int/FSIX/_Library%5CManual%20Aerodrome%20Stds.pdf) ICAO (not Jepps :\)
Rapid exit taxiways

3.8.15 A rapid exit taxiway shall be designed with a radius of turn-off curve of at least:
550 m where the code number is 3 or 4; and
275 m where the code number is 1 or 2;
to enable exit speeds under wet conditions of:
93 km/h (50 knots) where the code number is 3 or 4; and
65 km/h (35 knots) where the code number is 1 or 2.

Note.
The locations of rapid exit taxiways along a runway are based on several criteria described in the ICAO Aerodrome Design Manual, Part 2, in addition to different speed criteria.

3.8.16 The radius of the fillet on the inside of the curve at a rapid exit taxiway shall be sufficient to provide a widened taxiway throat in order to facilitate early recognition of the entrance and turn-off onto the taxiway.

3.8.17 A rapid exit taxiway shall include a straight distance after the turn-off curve sufficient for an exiting aircraft to come to a full stop clear of any intersecting taxiway.

3.8.18 The intersection angle of a rapid exit taxiway with the runway shall not be greater than 45° nor less than 25° and preferably shall be 30°.

maverick22
27th Feb 2011, 04:58
Oh, I just used the search function and what do you know... :O

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/67970-high-speed-turnoffs-how-fast.html

It is quite some years old though. Someone suggests as Captahab did that it is in the definitions of the Introduction section in the jepps. There is a definition, but no speed limit. Did it used to be stated here?

Capn Bloggs
27th Feb 2011, 06:02
ASI don't normally indicate til 35-40kts and as high as 60kts in larger aircraft.
Use the FMS groundspeed in your large aircraft, Bloggs. :ok:

slamer.
27th Feb 2011, 06:42
Jepp's used to say (about 15years ago) High speed exits were designed for speeds up to 50 kts, recently I thought I would chk this again but couldnt find a ref....!... it may be lurking in there somewhere.

Some young blade with 8 hours to kill should be able to find this...or not..?

Wally Mk2
27th Feb 2011, 06:50
My Co. SOP's quote 60kts initially reducing to std taxi speed of say 15 kts by the taxi-way.

I would think that any SOP's saying such speeds where not just plucked out of the air (pun not intended):)

Wmk2

Captahab
27th Feb 2011, 11:21
I know that Canada do specify 60kts, a few others do as well from memory.

60kts then reduce to 20kts or as specified in operator manuals.

Capt Thunderbolt
28th Feb 2011, 01:19
Jeppesen "Introduction" Reference Page 6 27th July 07.

"HIGH SPEED TAXIWAY / TURNOFF (HST) —
A long
radius taxiway designed and provided with lighting or
marking to define the path of an aircraft, traveling at
high speed (up to 60 knots), from the runway center
to a point on the center of a taxiway. Also referred to
as long radius exit or turnoff taxiway. The high speed
taxiway is designed to expedite aircraft turning off
the runway after landing, thus reducing runway occupancy
time."

maverick22
28th Feb 2011, 08:35
Oh well there you have it. I skipped right past that as I was looking at "rapid exit taxiway". Cheers :ok:

Grogmonster
28th Feb 2011, 10:01
Anything below V1 or Vr should do it !!!!!!!!!

Groggy

Goat Whisperer
28th Feb 2011, 10:55
we were trained for 60kt, (not clear if IAS or GS, but GS makes more sense) but 50 at YSSY.

The rapid exits at Sydney do seem to be a little less suitable for truly rapid exit.

18-Wheeler
28th Feb 2011, 12:18
I knew they were rated for 60kts but I'd never try it that fast in a 747. I think on a light landing I took one in the high 40's though, not sure. The things roll around a fair bit with lateral load on them and there's not a lot of pod clearance on the inner engines with more than about 5deg of roll with the struts compressed.

booka
1st Mar 2011, 08:23
The standard speed is as defined before by Jepp (The taxiway is DESIGNED to take the aircraft at a speed of 60 kts, not taking into account wet runway etc). The 50kt limit at SYD used to be printed on the aerodrome chart but disappeared a few years ago.