PDA

View Full Version : The Iolar flies again!

st patrick
25th Feb 2011, 13:51
Yesterday at approximately 5pm, Aer Lingus`s De Havilland Dragon, took to the skies over Dublin, on the first of a number of test flights, in its pursuit of a Permit to Fly. EI-ABI IOLAR (Irish for Eagle), has been restored and returned to flying condition as part of the Airlines 75th Birthday celebrations this year. While not the actual aircraft that Aer Lingus operated its first flight with (the original was shot down by the Luftwaffe near the Scilly Isles during WW2), the aircraft has been owned by Aer Lingus for decades and at one stage was on display suspended from the roof of the main terminal.

YouTube - Aer Lingus - IOLAR flight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZeTRcREF4Y)

Herod
25th Feb 2011, 15:24
Magic, thank you.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Feb 2011, 16:16
Fantastic news. Unless it comes to England I'll never see it, but I can dream!

Planemike
25th Feb 2011, 18:52
Fantastic news. Unless it comes to England I'll never see it, but I can dream!

It was a regular visitor to our shores prior to its grounding. It has attended the Moth Rally at Woburn, also PFA rallys if I remember rightly.

Great to see her back in the air again where she belongs. Will make a great duo with G-ECAN.

Planemike

chiglet
25th Feb 2011, 22:14
Flown in it twice. :D
First time, I "blagged" a ride at Manch... EI Capt was due to do a circuit. He landed 20 mins before official night. IF I could get from the Tower to the [old] South Side in time, I would get my flight. Running down the old NEA corridor, I tore a muscle in my ankle :{ I still made the flight though :ok: but then had six weeks off work.
Years later, I was then "Officially" offered a flight, complete with a Buffet at NEA... needless to say, I did not refuse... :cool:

Kerling-Approsh KG
25th Feb 2011, 22:19
It's nice to think there'll be one more aircraft in the sky whose passengers leave with a sense of satisfaction, occasion, and awe...

Whose pilots will be paid a going rate for the job, and not expected to cover the airline's costs in training them...

Whose designers considered form as well as function...

Whose owner regards the aircraft as something special and worthy...

And which gives the accountants in charge of some parts of the airline sleepless nights, on account of the above... (Long may they toss and turn!)...

Well done Lingus, and 'good luck!'...

treadigraph
25th Feb 2011, 22:49
If I's recall aright, first time I saw her was at Baldonnell in 1986. 25 years on it would be lovely to see hear again and have a ride!

STATSMAN
26th Feb 2011, 14:51
I had a circuit of MAN in the late 90's when doing my ppl at MSF, from the old South Side. What an offer they were short of passengers, 2 seconds and I was up the step into the plane.

jabberwok
1st Mar 2011, 01:14
I also had the good fortune..

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebAircraft/EI-ABI_DH84.jpg

tail wheel
1st Mar 2011, 05:34
"This video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account."

:{ ..........................

Airclues
1st Mar 2011, 07:49
Worked ok for me;

YouTube - Aer Lingus - IOLAR flight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on4kTBa8eBs)

Dave

Madbob
2nd Mar 2011, 10:19
Jabber - That approach looks like being Ronaldsway Rwy 27. When was that?

MB