PDA

View Full Version : Why a lack of integrity?

Arnold E
25th Feb 2011, 09:10
I know of a young person who recently applied for a job at one of the majors. Apparently this job did not exist. I only ask why do employers do this? There must be a reason to shatter the dreams of a young person. Please explain

Motorola
25th Feb 2011, 09:14
Pilots at the roo who do have jobs are about to not exist as well.

dodgybrothers
25th Feb 2011, 09:36
I know someone who went for an administrative job a bourke st outfit and it was advertised at $X. After the interview the job was offered to this person at $X -30%. When the the person inquired why, they said they were seeing how much the person would be prepared to do the job for.

Subsequently the door was used to exit the building forever. It is obviously a trend and a tactic used by these cretins and applied to the pilot fraternity as well.

Arnold E
25th Feb 2011, 09:51
I guess I am asking one of the management types to answer this question.
PLEASE EXPLAIN

remoak
25th Feb 2011, 23:09
It was mostly likely a job that was always going to be filled internally, but was advertised to comply with either the law, or a company's employment practices. It can also depend on why the vacancy arose in the first place, ie was somebody sacked or subject to a disciplinary procedure. In those cases, it is normally a requirement to advertise the position (not sure about Aussie employment law though).

This tactic is also sometimes used to gauge the potential take-up of a job at the pay and conditions advertised, and to fill potential employee databases. Agencies do that all the time.

it could also be that the job was advertised on the basis of an increased requirement for staff that didn't eventuate - for example, when an airline chnages fleets, it needs extra (usually contract) pilots to fill the holes while training takes place. If delivery of new aircraft is delayed, the requirement ceases to exist for a period.

Or it could be that they really, really didn't like him, and lied...

propaganda
25th Feb 2011, 23:29
I recently spent a lot of time and effort to attend a selection process,which went well, so I thought. Referee's were contacted, back ground security checks completed, drug tests, effectively all the pre -employment stuff.
Then out of the blue a call, not even an email to say -" we've decided to give the position to an internal candidate ". I didn't mention the best bit one of the referee's had to be a current employer - so, lets not give you the job, and in the meantime let's F**K up your present one.:

Di_Vosh
26th Feb 2011, 06:36
It was mostly likely a job that was always going to be filled internally, but was advertised to comply with either the law, or a company's employment practices.

This is very common (as Mrs DI_VOSH is finding out). She works in media (small industry) and is trying to change jobs. She often finds out that a job she applied for (and didn't get) went to an internal candidate but the company was required to advertise the position.

Or it could be that they really, really didn't like him, and lied...

LOL! Anyone ever get a reject "you're not competitive" letter?

DIVOSH!

KRUSTY 34
26th Feb 2011, 07:38
Nothing new I'm afraid.

About 17 years ago a fairly large regional airline were undergoing a modest expansion. Interviews went on for weeks if not months. Some time later I was discussing the expansion with a friend and company pilot of that particular airline. He was telling me that they ultimately interviewed 200 pilots for only 20 positions. Many of those pilots who were unsucessful had travelled great distances, at considerable expense, and were deemed by the company as suitable, but in the end they still only needed 20!

When I asked my friend why they would do such a thing, his response to me was, "Because they can!" Seems this particular mob in their latest incarnation are still screwing with pilot's lives. You know why? Because they can!

There you go Arnie', Once a :mad:, always a :mad:!

Bevan666
26th Feb 2011, 07:58
To do all that work at the other end is surely a WOFTAM.

Dont they have something better to do than to interview that many people ?
:ugh:

chimbu warrior
26th Feb 2011, 09:44
Although I rarely watch commercial television, and go out of my way to avoid "reality" TV, I last night found myself watching Undercover Boss. Never having watched it before, I am unaware of the history of this show, but several things stood out -

The CEO came face-to-face with obstacles his staff encountered every day
The CEO had no idea how demanding some roles really are, and,
The CEO discovered that his employees are real people, with various struggles they face every day, yet they are all giving their employer loyalty and full effort.

At the conclusion of the show the CEO provided various rewards to the individual employees involved, but also commented that he was now much more aware what goes on at the coalface.

I see this as a major flaw in large companies today. There are so many layers of "management' between the boss and the people actually doing the work, that any feedback is sanitised or distorted to the extent that the upper echelons of management in bigger companies have no real idea of what is going on.

I have a friend who works for a major carrier in NZ who worships the ground his CEO walks on, mainly because the CEO gets out and mingles (and tosses bags and serves passengers) with the REAL people in his organization.

A pity this does not occur more frequently. Happy people are productive people.

SgtBundy
26th Feb 2011, 10:37
Just look at military history - who are the good leaders with good results? The ones who lead from the front, work with their troops, understand their conditions and issues and fight for their men (i.e Patton, Rommel etc). For the most part it promotes morale and trust in leadership, which improves results all round. Patton said something along the lines that most leaders expect respect from the ground up, but give little thought to respect from the top down.

In the corporate world I find that too be too true - lots of companies expect loyalty and commitment from employees, but rarely return the favour - busting your gut to get a job done results in a dispute about overtime. Taking a bonus freeze for the good of the company seems to not apply to management. Being one of the most efficient and experienced teams means nothing when someone gets a bonus for off shoring your job.

OT rant over.