PDA

View Full Version : GA Training in PNG

Paddy0935
24th Feb 2011, 11:11
Does anyone know anything about GA training facilities in Port Moresby or the surrounding area? I'm heading there for work and want to continue training. I contacted CASA PNG who replied as follows:

Dear Sir,
I wish to answer questions you have raised on the above.

General Aviation Flight Training Facilities in Port Moresby or the surrounding areas – NIL;
There is a Aero Club at Jacksons Airport the eastern end with Bar and Entertainment Facilities open to membership. Note there are Flight Recreational Facilities available or offered;
PNG does not have Ultra-Light Aircraft Association or a Recreational Flight Club and no regulations covering UL Recreational Flights.
Thank you for seeking our advice.

The local areoclub seems to have more of a social focus and doesnt appear to have a web presence. I'm under no illusions as to the state of PNG aviation in general, but if anyone can offer further insight into the situation it would be helpful.

Cheers

Alistair
24th Feb 2011, 23:07
Paddy, it's been a while since I was in PNG (1999) but there weren't any flying schools in PNG then. To my knowledge there were not really any private pilots in the country, only CPL holders and above. The landscape and weather kind of precludes learning how to fly. A first solo cross country flight in PNG would be like handing a loaded 9mm to a child...someone is going to get hurt.

I don't know what stage of training that you are at, but from your question I would guess relatively early. Go and take a couple of commercial flights with some of the smaller operators like North Coast Aviation out of Lae and that will certainly open your eyes wrt what you can do in an aircraft and what flying is like in PNG. Any training would be best left for time spent elsewhere.

The aeroclub is a good place for a beer when in Moresby and you will definitely hear some tall stories over a couple of cold ones there. Good luck with your time in PNG. An amazing country but keep your wits about you and listen to what the locals say as it can be as dangerous as you have heard, even without flying.

Waghi Warrior
25th Feb 2011, 00:45
The only people who do flight training in PNG are MAF at Mt Hagen. I have flown with a few of their ex students over the years, and all of them have been quite exceptional pilots.

In regard to the aeroclub in Port Moresby, it's just a bar/night club/pokie venue, no aviation activities at all apart from a heap of pissed pilots telling war stories and picking up the occasional bed warmer.

I feel that there would be a strong market for a professionally ran flying school in Port Moresby, both for fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft. If and when one ever starts up is anyone guess ? Their is certainly no shortage of cash floating around Port Moresby at the moment, to spend on such activities.

Cairns would be you best shot, if you wanted to keep training as it's not that far away, and there are a few good school down there.

tinpis
25th Feb 2011, 01:01
PAC Dero had quite a fleet going in dem olden daze.
The Goroka Dero would be the place for war stories now.