PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Uni & aviation course?

SPL-101
24th Feb 2011, 05:49
Hey guys

Im new too this forum & this is my first post. However I have been following this forum for a while now. Although I have a ton of questions to ask, most of them have been answered but there a few that have already been asked that im going to ask again. So please bear with me as im in a bit of a dillemma. I hopeing to become an airline pilot one day and I've decided to do my training at a private college. Up until a few weeks ago I had decided to go with Basair, but after reading the threads here I started the search for another school. Now Ive narrowed it down to 2: Whitworth Aviation and Clamback & Hennessy. I talked with Aminta and she told me that their students study the theory either at home or at tafe. Now I get distracted at home, so I dont think I can do it here, however their prices were really good and its a small place. So I dont know which to go for any thoughts or past experience you wanna share? She also told me that I should go to uni, as the airlines these days look at degrees and not so much diploma's. Can someone please tell me to what extent is this true? Will I not be able to be recruited after say 3-6 years of instructing? Im not expecting to be recruited instantly, I know its a competitive industry. Also, im enrolled in uni for bachelor of science/arts but I was thinking of dropping that. Would a Uni degree do me good ill be doing physics for one of the electives? Im thinking of going uni & as my timetable is not packed I can also do a part time course at Bankstown, maybe just my PPL first? Then save for abit then CPL? This way it wouldn't affect me as much financialy too. Also in year 11 I did 2 unit mathmatics but then i dropped too General in yr12, but i did do Physics for my HSC too. Would I find the math too difficult? Im wiling to do a bridging course for it. Im really sorry for this essay guy's but none of my friends & family have been down this road so i dont know who to ask besides you guys here.

Thank You

Dick Smyth
24th Feb 2011, 07:52
Check out Sydney Aviators. Good bunch of guys and they conduct all the theory in house.
Uni degree is basically a waste of time. I did an Aviation degree and it has not helped one bit in getting jobs within the industry.
Good Luck

PyroTek
24th Feb 2011, 07:57
I have a few friends on the Griffith Uni Aviation degree up here, they think it's pointless and highly recommend not doing it. Not sure if it's the same situation down there.
Best of luck mate.:ok:

Runaway Gun
24th Feb 2011, 08:15
I don't have a Uni degree, and I personally think an Aviation Degree isn't all that, however a BOS might be useful in your future life. It's always good to have a backup qualification or career.

Have you considered studying your Science degree, and doing PPL flying in your spare time? You can always complete your CPL later.

Kippers7
24th Feb 2011, 09:13
If you do the uni course you get a sweet uniform you get to wear everywhere.

SPL-101
25th Feb 2011, 04:06
Hey Guys

I just wana say thanks to all of you for the advice you gave me here and all the advice on the other threads. It has put my mind at ease and I have finally decided on the path that Im going to take. I just finished fixing my timetable. This semester is kind of spread out 2-3 hours here and there. I have decided that this semester I will work as much as i can and save up at least half the cost of a PPL (most unlikely) but will try and save as much as possible my parents will help me with the rest. Then I will fix my timetable for next semester so I only have Uni 2-3days a week. This way I can start the PPL course part time and come summer break which is about 2-2.5months try and finish it off or get most of it done then continue part time for abit more. Second year of Uni I will continue uni as normal and also work as much as I can to save for CPL again my parents will help abit and i will loan the rest. Third year of Uni I will either defferr the 2nd semester, that along with the summer break of that year will give me a solid 6-8months to get the CPL+MECIR or most of it out of the way. Do you think it might take longer? Then Il continue uni as normal and hopefully get the rest of the qualifications on the way or after uni. Please let me know what you think? I know you guys have said a degree doesnt mean much but I still really like physics and want to learn more of it. Also I passed my Class One Med, and as for the school im leaning towards Whitworth Aviation, Bill seems like a really experienced and respected pilot/instructor from what Ive read on the forum. Again sorry for the essay but I really needed to tell someone all that.

Thanks Everyone

desert goat
25th Feb 2011, 04:16
Just wanted to second the advice from Rogue Jumbo- Getting a solid degree in something OTHER than Aviation is a great backup plan-just make sure it's a solid, academically rigorous degree in a professional field and not just a piece of shiny toilet paper. An aviation degree isn't real useful for getting you a job outside the industry if you ever need one in a hurry, say if you lose your medical, get sacked, whatever.

beat ups are fun
25th Feb 2011, 05:21
I know a few guys with the Aviation degree and they are of the belief that "It'll help me get an aviation job if i lose my medical" or some such crap! These guys are 22 year old fit fellows. Unless something major happens they aren't going to lose there medicals for at least the next 30 years. Are you going to remember anything from your degree in 30 years time? Heck I can't remember what happened last month! But that might be the beer!

Seriously don't go down the expensive uni road. when your ready to start your training go down to your local airport (Bankstown by the sounds) and meet with all the schools. DO NOT, i say again, DO NOT, go for the school with the cheapest price, it will come back to bite you one day. :=

If you want more advice PM me and I'll be happy to help

:D "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price has been forgotten" :D

Di_Vosh
25th Feb 2011, 06:51
SPL-101

If you want to fly, then fly! If you want to do a degree, then do a degree! It really doesn't get much simpler than that! :ok:

Only do a degree if you've got a genuine interest in doing that degree. Don't bother with an aviation degree until you've got full-time employment in aviation (you can do them via distance learning).

DO NOT do a degree as a 'back up' qualification. Considering the costs of tertiary education, you're just wasting your time and money which could be better spent getting hours in your log book.

Besides, most degree courses have a half-life. I'll use myself as an example: I graduated Melbourne Uni in 1986 with a BSc in Biological science (Majors in Genetics, Biochemistry and a sub-major in Immunology). My first professional job was as an accounts clerk in 1987 and in 1988 I'd moved into I.T.

By 1988 my BSc was useless as an employment tool, as the science had advanced so much in 18 months that I wasn't employable with the qualifications that I had. I got the I.T. job because the company I worked for wanted a Uni graduate. NOT an I.T. graduate; just someone who'd gone through uni. (Okay, so there is a 'use' for a degree. :O But you've got to ask yourself is it worth three years of your life and the money. Uni was free in my day).

I remained in I.T until 2005. After that I've been employed full time either with the military or in aviation. At no time in any of the airlines that I've worked for (including Qlink), have the recruitment people wanted to see tertiary education.

I was an I.T. professional for 18 years. These skills also have a half-life and I doubt that I could get I.T. work now after a six year absence. If I can't get an I.T. job (18 years experience) after a six year hiatus, do you really think that you've got a 'backup' (with nothing more than a basic degree) if you lose your licence 5 years later?

Trust me you won't! :sad:

She also told me that I should go to uni, as the airlines these days look at degrees and not so much diploma's.

I'm suprised no-one has picked up on this. This is ABSOLUTE F:mad:KING BULL****! If anyone tells you that, you should ask them:

1. Which airlines?

2. Can you show me their website where it states tertiary education is a requirement for employment

DIVOSH

seneca208
25th Feb 2011, 07:05
I'm suprised no-one has picked up on this. This is ABSOLUTE FKING BULL****! If anyone tells you that, you should ask them:

1. Which airlines?

2. Can you show me their website where it states tertiary education is a requirement for employment

For example, Korean Air require pilots have at least Diploma qualification to join, but this is one of few airlines that require such qualifications for employment. See here- Korean Air A330 First Officer - Experience on Type not required - Rishworth Aviation (http://www.rishworthaviation.com/opportunities/details.asp?oppid=1022&cat=1)

Although I'm sure it may give you the slight upper-hand over another person at an interview, I doubt its going to make much difference in the long run. Paying, in some cases, 50% MORE to get a Degree with the exact same (or less) practical flying qualifications is, in my opinion, a waste of money.

Mr. Hat
25th Feb 2011, 08:47
I apologise if I'm on the wrong path but is this a piss take?

There are numerous uni threads that have gone in circles for pages and pages.

Likewise schools.

My advice:

1. Small school in the country with experienced instructors with charter business attached.

2. Forget Aviation degrees get a trade instead as a back up.

What would I know? I went and made all the mistakes for you.

Signature
25th Feb 2011, 09:59
My aviation degree got my a first, and eventually last flying job.

I'm in a major now.

Of my intake, there were only three (of sixteen) that did not have degrees. Those that didn't had several thousand jet command.

My hrs vs age were about right against those without degrees...

Everyone has an opinion.

Where do you want to go?

SPL-101
25th Feb 2011, 10:21
Hey Guys

Thanks for all the advice its really helped me. Ive decided to go to Uni and see what its like. I do very much like Science, especially physics so it might be enjoyable. I have a month to change my mind, the census date is the 31/03/2011. In that time Ill run down to Bankstown again and look at the other schools more closely. Last time I only went to Basair, and I dont mean to be rude or racist but the place was so packed with Indians it smelled like Indians. Not that I hate Indians, I was born there.
@ Mr.Hat, No this is not a piss take, but I understand that it is frustrating to read and answer the same questions over and over, but like i said in the first post I had to ask again. I apologise to all of you for any inconvenience. However it has put my mind at ease finally, for the time being anyway.

Thanks Everyone

4Greens
25th Feb 2011, 10:33
UNSW degree programme has its flying school at Bankstown. Check it out.

An Aviation degree does not mean you get a job, but it puts you further up in the queue.

If you ever have ideas of pilot management then a degree is helpful.

Runaway Gun
25th Feb 2011, 11:07
Well there you have it SPL. You asked for some advice, and you have received quite a few distinct and seemingly contradictory answers. All of them are right in their own way.

Which proves that there are many paths to take in life. No matter, you make the best decisions now, with the knowledge that you have at this time, so just do what you now think is correct. It's pretty easy huh?

Regardless, it's not a race, (even though at your young age you feel it's halfway over) and it's way too easy to look back and wonder "I wonder what would have happened IF.....". Don't do it, just set some goals and achieve them one step at a time.

Best of luck. :ok:

SPL-101
25th Feb 2011, 22:55
Hey Guys

Runaway gun, yeah I got heaps of advice from everyone here and I am very grateful for it. You are right, before I did think of it as a race. I thought the older I got the less chance I'd have at being recruited by an airline, but I know that is not correct. If I go uni or not, either way itll be a few long years before I get a decent aviation job. Im going to give uni a go, and I will go down to Sydney Aviators, as I saw on thier website that they give their PPL course in parts, the GFPT and then the Navigation stage. Again I just wanna say thanks to everyone for helping me, it really cleared up alot of stuff for me. Ill let you know what the final decision is in couple of weeks.

Take Care

Di_Vosh
26th Feb 2011, 06:25
For example, Korean Air require pilots have at least Diploma qualification to join

And you're right. But let's face it, the majority of Aussies learning to fly over here are going to want to get a job in an Australian airline.

Until either a: An aussie major requires more than HSC/VCE, or b: the majority of aussies are learning to fly here in order to go overseas and join one of the few overseas carriers that require you to have a degree then I'll stand by my comment.

An Aviation degree does not mean you get a job, but it puts you further up in the queue

Sorry, 4G, have to disagree. Please give me an example of where this has happened in any Australian airline. IMHO, this is a typical comment from someone who's got an Aviation degree and is seeking to justify it.

DIVOSH!