PDA

View Full Version : Time to turn the tables around in this forum.

WFDUP
23rd Feb 2011, 23:41
Its about time we turn the tables around in this forum, from bad to good.

So can you tell me and everyone else who is a flyoholic

1. Why / what gets you out of bed to fly eg is it the endless blue skies etc etc

2. Give an example of the best time / moment that happened to you and your flying that you will never forget eg its yur first solo and your nervous enough but finding out that you have 2 massive wasps flying around you in the plane just as you take off. OR first day you get to take your first student up as an instructor, and seeing the huge grin on there face etc etc..:ok::ok:

maverick22
24th Feb 2011, 00:29
I thought this was a rumour network?

WFDUP
24th Feb 2011, 00:45
Exactly why the need to turn the tables around..
Too many people spreading rumours, creating poltitics hence why people are asking is aviation worth the money when so many people are whinging about it.

People are forgetting the good times.
Maybe the people spreading the the rumours should take a step back and reminisce the good things because at the end of the day thats why they are still in the same job.. because they love it......

I know for a fact when you are old and frail, you are gonna remember the good things over the bad and talk about it, tell the grandkids,, why wait till then???

M14_P
24th Feb 2011, 01:13
Of course, lots of whinging. Whenever I think of something that really does suck, like my latest GST return, or the price of fuel, or the cost of a warrant of fitness, or the price of toilet brushes, I think of the other 60% of the worlds population that has less than nothing, and then look back at how pathetic we all are whinging about this and that, we get to go flying, that is a huge priviledge.
And to reply to your msg, had an absolute blast flying a Pitts last week, got rated on a Rans S10 the other week which was hugely good fun and am going tiger flying this weekend. What fun, I can't wait. I absolutely love the flying I am doing these days, no complaints about aviation from me. :)

toolowtoofast
24th Feb 2011, 01:16
was that the white S1 @ NZHN?

SpyderPig
24th Feb 2011, 01:16
As the old saying goes " you tell 3 people about a good experience at a resturant, but you tell 13 about a bad one!"

I agree there is a lot of negativity on here, but there is a wealth of knowledge also, sometimes it just takes some sifting to find the nuggets :ok:

Someone said in another thread, who wakes up and jumps on PPRuNE to brag about another day flying a dream job? People will get very sick of this very quickly! A majority of pilots do seem to love their job, and as in real life, its the minority that are heard the loudest while the majority just sit back, make no fuss and enjoy the ride.

I come here for the laughs:p

Hasselhof
24th Feb 2011, 01:17
I think it is slightly ironic that a probationary PPRuNer that registered in this month of this year is complaining about it being "about time" for anything with regards to this forum.

Personally I don't come on here to reminisce about the good 'ole days or because it I want to experience the IT equivalent of an aeroclub bar on a sunday afternoon. I come here like I have for years to try and find out current information on who's hiring, where the jobs are going, how employment conditions are changing and how my peers react to and feel about issues that affect being a professional in this industry.

Not that I think there isn't a place on here for a bit of education, networking and even a bit of fun, but that is only a small part of how this forum has become successful over the years. It is a professional rumour network after all, not a recreational one.

If you don't like the whinging, don't read it. Most of it is nonsense anyway.

WFDUP
24th Feb 2011, 01:39
Hassel

I'm actually not new here been a member for 10ish years now, just a new name as i forgot my p/w and the new one was sent to my old email address which doesn't exist anymore.. hence new account.

I'm glad to here at least one good story.

My god all i asked for was for people to tell some stories that they will cherish for many years, not turn it into another whinge fest

Stop reading between the lines..

At least my grandkids enjoy my stories....

M14_P
24th Feb 2011, 01:42
Yeh agree with that too, you don't hear of people going on and on about what they do, of course. If asked, Im sure we are all going to answer. But my opinion, is that there are too many miserable people out there, that just do not appreciate what they do have. These people will always be miserable. It's a shame. The grass will always be greener, there will always be better jobs, and better cars to by. and more money to potentially earn and potentially spend....

Aye Ess
24th Feb 2011, 02:10
OK....

Bestest,

1. IFR at night,two turboprops,2 pilots & a cruising level about 10' above the cloud layer with a full moon above. It's called cloud surfing & it is the most spectacular thing in aviation.

2. Cat 3 autoland in an airliner in fog right onto the runway. Wow,the heart rate races as the aeroplane flies itself onto the ground.

3. The rare time where the touchdown is not even a squeak. Just the rumble of wheels tells us we are down.

Worstest,

1. Your IFR & simulator check is next week with Captain Failem.

2. "Hello,this is ops. How soon can you get to the airport? And better bring your overnight bag,it's 5 nights away"

If you are a young pilot thinking about a career in aviation AND you are passionate about it....THEN,DO IT !!! It's a great career & the fantastic FAR outweighs the bad.

maverick22
24th Feb 2011, 03:43
WFDUP

I could be wrong but are you also Matt1975 and Matt1. All your posts seem to be the same...

Anyway, that aside I love my job too. Nothing like star gazing on a crystal clear night and seeing the odd shooting star. Or appreciating the beauty and power of an afternoon CB as you're happily diverting off track to give it a wide berth. Or maybe the strange sense of achievement after flying an approach in the soup down to the minima and popping out, perfectly lined up on short final ready to land.

Oh and first solo at 15 (in an ultralight), that was the best:ok:

Frank Arouet
24th Feb 2011, 04:30
I come here for the laughshttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I'm in it for the money. (PPRune that is).:uhoh:

Worrals in the wilds
24th Feb 2011, 05:05
I come here to get an indication of what's happening around the traps, even if the info is sometimes a bit rumoury. Aviation is a big industry that's spread across the country so it's often difficult to get the big picture from one port/company/work area. I don't find PPRuNe particularly negative considering that it's largely an employment related forum (as opposed to those based around gaming, rose growing et al.

I've learned a lot about aviation on here over the years from 'negative' (or is that realistic?) posts. I've also had a couple of damn good rants and felt much better :\. FWIW I usually have a great day at work but 1. Wouldn't want to bore everyone and 2. Would prefer to stay incognito.

P.S. I've also had many huge laughs from here. It's hardly all bad news!

Jabawocky
24th Feb 2011, 05:56
2. Cat 3 autoland in an airliner in fog right onto the runway. Wow,the heart rate races as the aeroplane flies itself onto the ground.

Now there is a topic for you to do a painting of! :}

Wally Mk2
24th Feb 2011, 06:29
I only come in here now to see how fast the Mods slam shut a thread:-) :}And of course all the bitching & back stabbing with which without the forum would be borderline boring:}

Wmk2

Cloud Basher
24th Feb 2011, 08:41
1. Taking off from runway 28 at Camden in a Tigermoth all by my little lonesome for the first time as the sun set and as I turned crosswind looking back at the runway, with the sweet smell of freshly mown hay in the air and just living the moment.

2. Similarly flying a J3 Cub in the States , again on dusk, contour flying the river as the sun was touching the horizon, doors open, again freshly mown hay smell in the air.

3. Hitting my own wake at the bottom of a loop for the first time in the Pitts.

4. Busting holes in the tops of clouds in a Hornet.

5. Taking my wife for a fly for the first time in the Pitts. She came down at the end, very green (but she didn't throw up) and said to me, I can now understand why you love that so much.

6. FLying the AT-6 Harvard for the first time and just doing a steep turn, looking down the length of the wing at the green grass below and thinking this must be one of the most beautiful sights in aviation. Then thinking this engine is one of the most beautiful sounds in aviation!

7-10,573,836,045. Just about every other moment I get to spend in the air! But 1-6 come to mind quite often...

Cheers
CB

Skystar320
24th Feb 2011, 09:25
I like to wear my pilots uniform so I can get laid by the pretty ladies!

jack diamond
24th Feb 2011, 09:41
I think im going to throw up

frigatebird
24th Feb 2011, 09:42
I like to wear my pilots uniform so I can get laid by the pretty ladies!

You get laid ..in uniform..??

Ever notice that in the Hollywood blockbuster movies the characters appear to make love with their clothes on..?

Whereas in the French movies....