View Full Version : Pilot crash-lands, swims in croc-infested river

Horatio Leafblower
22nd Feb 2011, 05:27
From the ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/22/3145774.htm):

Pilot crash-lands, swims in croc-infested river

By Bridget Brennan

Updated 1 hour 26 minutes ago
Marlee Ranacher

Marlee Ranacher survived after crash-landing a light plane next to the Victoria River in the NT. (Bullo River Station (http://www.bulloriver.com))

* Map: Darwin 0800

A pilot has been rescued by her husband in a helicopter after she crash-landed her plane and had to swim through a crocodile-infested river in the Northern Territory.

Marlee Ranacher, 49, took-off in a single-engine Cessna from the Bullo River Station, about 800 kilometres south-west of Darwin, when the engine failed about 7.30am.

She made an emergency landing on a mud flat near the edge of the Victoria River.

She walked about one kilometre up the bank but due to the incoming tide she was forced to swim across the river, a known habitat for saltwater crocodiles.

"That was the worst part, swimming across," she told the ABC.

"I've lived here my whole life and I know how many crocodiles there are down here and how big they are so that was really bad because I had time to think about that.

"There was one very small one, I must admit, when I got to the bank.

"He was only about a foot long though, so I didn't mind him."

She then set off an emergency beacon, which was picked up by authorities who notified her helicopter pilot husband.

He flew to her location and found her safe and well on the banks of the river.

"I'm really sad I lost the plane but I'm glad I am alive," she said.

She said the Cessna was fully submerged by the incoming tide.

"We've got eight metre tides down here on the Vic, they're just huge and the tide changes so violently it causes like a wall of water.

"You could surf it, it's like having a big wave coming up the river.

"Within half an hour of the tide turning I couldn't see the plane anymore."

Brevet Sergeant Michael Lunney said: "This could have ended tragically but due to her fast thinking, flying experience and activation of her beacon, not only was she rescued swiftly, but by her husband no less."

It was 1997 that I last saw it but that was a nice C185 if I remember correctly? :sad:

compressor stall
22nd Feb 2011, 05:48
That's Sarah Henderson's daughter.

PLovett
22nd Feb 2011, 05:50
I reckon the crocs were too scared to take her on. :}

Delta_Foxtrot
22nd Feb 2011, 06:06
Was her name spelt Sara?

I spy
22nd Feb 2011, 06:26
A forced landing is not a "crash landing" ffs...........:ugh:

Desert Flower
22nd Feb 2011, 09:29
Was her name spelt Sara?

Yes it was.

It was 1997 that I last saw it but that was a nice C185 if I remember correctly?

They did have a C185, SBH from memory. But somehow I think this was their C210 - BEV. Sounds like Marlee is emulating her dad - old Charlie had quite a few escapades like that!

DF.

DropYourSocks
22nd Feb 2011, 09:37
The station aeroplane they had 6 months ago was a C210, and a nice one too.

Horatio Leafblower
22nd Feb 2011, 09:40
I remember BEV in a feature article in the Crash comic many years ago - the article ended "I wonder where old BEV is now?" :ooh:

compressor stall
22nd Feb 2011, 10:28
Was her name spelt Sara?

Yes, it was when I last met her.

But when you marry a Sarah, and work with three Sarahs daily, you get quite familiar and habitual with the extra "h"... :}

Jabawocky
22nd Feb 2011, 21:00
Back to the keyboards, pump out a new book ...... Might buy a new plane!

No matter what side of the family politics you believe ..... They are an amazing lot!

By George
23rd Feb 2011, 00:03
I flew a 210 'BEV' in the early seventies out of Moorabbin, I think by memory it belonged to Jim King of Kings Parking fame. Is this the same one as it is nearly 40 years ago? It was tan and white and went like a rocket.

Desert Flower
23rd Feb 2011, 02:20
I would say yes, it's the same one. The CASA register shows it as having been first registered in 1973, & the present owners have had it since 2008.

DF.

tom88
23rd Feb 2011, 08:12
It would have been BEV. I was their pilot during 2007 flying that aircraft. It was a good 210 most of the time.

Old Fella
23rd Feb 2011, 10:20
I Spy. Seeing as the aircraft, which it seems was a C210, was landed on a mud flat which soon became flooded by the changing tide it is probable that it made a "wheels up" landing to minimize the chances of nosing over and finishing up inverted. That, I would suggest, was both a Forced Landing and a Crash Landing. Either way, your comment was unwarranted. The author of the story reprinted used the heading Pilot crash lands, swims in croc infested river. Within the body of the story she reports that the aircraft made an emergency landing, which indeed the pilot did do following an engine failure.

bankrunner
23rd Feb 2011, 12:54
I remember BEV in a feature article in the Crash comic many years ago - the article ended "I wonder where old BEV is now?" http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/icon25.gif

This the one?

http://srfc.org.au/web/content/view/55/99/

"Canberra this is Cessna Bravo Echo Victor, VFR to the south of Bathurst seven POB. Passing through seven thousand VFR in solid cloud. Request assistance".

"Bravo Echo Victor, say again VFR in cloud?"

kiwiscanfly15
23rd Feb 2011, 17:38
i couldn't help but snigger at the final part of that story..
"And, I wonder, VH-BEV where are you today?"

I spy
23rd Feb 2011, 23:26
"
I Spy. Seeing as the aircraft, which it seems was a C210, was landed on a mud flat which soon became flooded by the changing tide it is probable that it made a "wheels up" landing to minimize the chances of nosing over and finishing up inverted. That, I would suggest, was both a Forced Landing and a Crash Landing. Either way, your comment was unwarranted. The author of the story reprinted used the heading Pilot crash lands, swims in croc infested river. Within the body of the story she reports that the aircraft made an emergency landing, which indeed the pilot did do following an engine failure."

I was just alluding to the ever-present media beat-up about "Crash landings". Putting a plane down in a paddock after an engine failure, with no damage to plane or pax is invariably referred to as a "Crash landing".
The article does mention an emergency landing, so why didn't the headline read as such? Because it doesn't sell.

donal barber
9th Feb 2012, 13:35
it,s been a long time since I have looked into pprune. Even longer since I was last involved with this cessna 210L. My Father imported this aircraft in 1973 for a friend of his whose wife was named Beverly.