PDA

View Full Version : Air New Zealand Pilot

Sassy91
22nd Feb 2011, 03:25
Hi guys this question goes out to any anz pilots or anyone with info regarding their recruitment.

What im after is to know how anz recruitment looks at overseas experience when recruiting their pilots.
Iv finished my training here in NZ and due to a lack of opportunities moved back to my home country (russia) to fly the 320. The contract is a 4 year one and upon finishing will have around 2500 on the 320.
Since ANZ is getting the airbus for their domestic operation will having 320 time be advantageous to me? even if it is overseas experience?

I know that all the air nelson, eagle and mt cook pilots will be applying at their first opportunity but how does turbine time compare to jet time here? Especially if its on type that they are recruiting for..

I definately want to move back to nz because its a great place to raise a family etc and its a country i was in since i was 11.

Also whats the upgrade for different fleets like and upgrade to command? Its not really important because i want to be working for the national carrier and everything will come in due time.

Here in russia ugrade time is short, 14 777s coming soon, but i dont want to stick around here for too long.

Anyways thank you for any info provied, really appreciate it.

seneca208
22nd Feb 2011, 07:29
From what I've heard, it's very difficult to get a job unless you are from Eagle/Cook/Nelson. Upgrade times are very very slow, so even if you did get something; expect to be on the A320 for quite a long time to come.

NZ Nationals would also be a priority rather than Permanent Residents etc I'd imagine.

Sassy91
22nd Feb 2011, 08:04
yea i thought that could be the case. i just didnt want to do the instruct, great barrier, eagle... way. well it wasnt even an option at the time. oh i im a citizen so thats not a problem.

yea i remember seeing the anz 777, 747 crews... all quiet mature guys to say the least, even the S/O. they must have been there for a while.

anyone else who has any info?

cheers

troppo
22nd Feb 2011, 08:25
got any sisters in russia bro?

scroogee
22nd Feb 2011, 08:32
Don't think that you need to worry about having to be an airNZ A320 co-for a long time- once the fleet arrives new entries will be S/O's for the long haul fleet (lowest payscale). After a while you might be allowed onto the A320.

Sqwark2000
22nd Feb 2011, 08:58
All entry jobs for AirNZ will be longhaul S/O positions, after about 5-6yrs, you may have enough seniority to bid for a A320 job.

Sassy91
22nd Feb 2011, 22:28
what the reason for such a slow turn over? Is there no mandatory retirement age?

Sqwark2000
23rd Feb 2011, 00:34
Is there no mandatory retirement age?

Ha! One of the biggest topics in NZ aviation at present.

NZ law prevents discrimination based on age, so no, there is no mandatory retirement age. Currently AirNZ has approx 110 pilots over the age of 60 and approx 19 pilots 65+.

To meet US regulations, those long haul pilots who are 65 yrs or over, are transferred to non-PIC positions on their current fleet or even alternative fleets, so turnover has been virtually stagnant combined with the lack of progression/expansion etc due the GFC.

Sassy91
23rd Feb 2011, 00:57
hmmm well i guess if your medical is valid then why not...

outboundjetsetter
23rd Feb 2011, 04:46
Hmm based in that info Squark, do you see many of them voluntarily retiring due to their age in the next 5-ish years.. opening up the 7-ish year cycle recruitment thing again?.Maybe some regional guys will get 'a shot at the bigger birds' and some of us expats can come home to half decent work?
just a thought!

Sassy91
23rd Feb 2011, 05:41
Guess it's time to start gunning for air Nelson then

Sqwark2000
23rd Feb 2011, 08:18
do you see many of them voluntarily retiring due to their age in the next 5-ish years..

If they were prepared to voluntary retire, it wouldn't be the discussion point it is.

Arguments for both sides, but I do have to wonder what possesses somebody to work through towards 70 after 20-30yrs as longhaul pilot.

I would hope I'd have plans and retirement funds to complete those plans without having to continue work past "normal" retirement.

Each to their own, but it sure is frustrating to see a 65yr at the twilight of a long and distinguished career, retread to the right seat rather than enjoy retirement and let the next man/woman step up for their turn, in turn, creating opportunities down the chain.

scroogee
23rd Feb 2011, 23:02
Why they stay: divorce(s), 1987 share market (still? :confused:), recent economic down turn, not yet divorced and the wife :E won't let them stay at home, the fact that life expectancy has increased so you need more when you retire anyway (though there are statistics showing a pretty high drop off rate amongst pilots soon after retirement- get a hobby or 2 before you retire).

I believe there are still a number of guy's and girl's on LWOP out there as well, so when an up-grade position becomes available chances are one or two of these return rather than requiring new bodies.