PDA

View Full Version : Puma MK2

puma fixer
21st Feb 2011, 17:21
Hello everyone, I'm new on PPrune, based at Benson fixing pumas. (I'm not a journo) I was wondering if anyone knows whats happening with the puma upgrade as it's gone quiet at work while we keep the old ladies ticking along.
I've seen another thread about the NH90 for the SAS but that's not a rumour I've heard on the squadron, (assuming that would be a replacement for our pumas)

Tiger Tales
21st Feb 2011, 17:34
Welcome puma fixer, brace yourself.
With respect, if you are who you say you are, and are not being told anything at the very place you work, then the last place you will find out anything close to the truth is on these pages!
The NH90 thread is a red herring but then this is a rumour site after all.......:}

the funky munky
21st Feb 2011, 22:11
Puma fixer, last weeks Jane's Defence Weekly has an article on PU2 which states that the 1st Puma Mk2 rolls out of France in Apr 11. All the rest are going to be roaded to Romania, modded upto mk2 standard with new engines, glass cockpit etc for the very small figure of £300M!
Not sure that is a good use of taxpayers money as every £ spent goes straight out of the UK into the French coffers, grrr.

engineer(retard)
22nd Feb 2011, 09:29
PF - Speak to the fielding team at Benson

Dundiggin'
22nd Feb 2011, 18:14
It is my opinion that this mod programme has not gone far enough to improve the operational capabillity of the Puma. All this guff about having to have anticipators is frankly a 'red herring' in that many, many pilots over the Puma's lifetime have learned how to overcome that lack of technical finesse by operating the aircraft properly and within the necessary constraints. There have been very few incidents which have necessitated such a mod programme as this. The glass cockpit - well whoopeedoo!! - so the pilots are 'rocketed' into the 21st century - how operationally necessary was that? So far then we have spent £300m on these 'improvements' but haven't actually improved anything for the users.
So what then is missing from this great initiative? I'll tell you what.....the cabin volume for the Puma Mk II for crying out loud!! For years and years the crewman have been moaning about the lack of volume and troop carrying capacity in the cabin. In the early days we used all the 16 seats. We used to carry 16 troops with bergens (small ones) and there was no bloody space to move anywhere in the back. We 'sorted' that by reducing the number of troops in a 'standard load' to 12 plus bergens. We would then max out with Milans and we were back to 'square one' again. Oh! and don't forget the occasional use of a long range fuel tank. That's a reduction of another 2 troops! Now we're down to 10 troops!!
So frankly this whole 'dog's dinner' of a mod programme has not addressed properly the root operational problem of the Puma Mk I ergo there is not enough cabin volume to do the best job. There may be extra engine power but no extra cabin volume to utilise it!
The solution to all the bloody problems has been staring people in the face for years and that is the SUPER PUMA!!! It has everything the RAF needs to eradicate the handling problems; engines with anticipators, a glass cockpit and room in the back for 25 troops. But more importantly, it would have given the Puma Sqns a proper chance to give the user units a better service in the field by way of more cabin volume for more troops, bigger bergens and more weapons.
IMHO this £300M has been totally wasted and the naive team who allowed it through without consideration of the REAL problem should be ashamed to be part of this scam.
I bet that the team who put this together did not include an experienced crewman. :ugh: QED
End of rant

philrigger
23rd Feb 2011, 07:22
;)

OK . The upgrades are going to cost £300m .

What would be the cost to purchase and support the required number of Super Pumas ?

And how many of the Super Pumas would be enough ?

snaggletooth
23rd Feb 2011, 10:03
Never mind folks, the Puma 2 budget is soon to be reallocated to the Sea King LEP - the only way we'll keep the old girl going now SAR–H ist kapput. Happy days :D

TyphoonThunder
23rd Feb 2011, 11:37
Dundiggin, I agree the Super Puma would be a far better airframe than the Puma. Spent a lot of time with the RNLAF and their AS532 where they exercise near where I used to live, astonished at the capacity in the cab, the seemingly lengthy string of fully kitted troops getting in and the room the door gunners still have to get about the cab. I'd definately have taken them over upgrading the current puma. They look more the part too IMO.

Dundiggin'
23rd Feb 2011, 19:41
Yes I do agree that the Super Puma would have been more expensive but we could have SAVED £300M for all the operational value that this unnecessary and ill thought out mod programme is worth!
However, I'm sure that the pro rata 'bangs per buck' for a Super Puma buy would have been impressive and very effective especially in the current theatres......... AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A BIG PLUS IN PUMA MORALE AND USER CONFIDENCE.
I say again this mod is both unnecessary and an almost complete waste of tax payer's money.
But there again WTF do I know I've only operated the Puma for 40 odd years.....:ugh::mad:

Dundiggin'
25th Feb 2011, 15:13
Come on you Puma mates surely this deserves more commentary.

Airborne Aircrew
25th Feb 2011, 15:29
Dundiggin:

I'd pitch in but I'm 20+ years out of date... Then again, so's the Puma by now...

Fareastdriver
25th Feb 2011, 20:48
I have been holding off this thread but now I cannot resist. I last flew a 332L1 two years ago as commander two months before my 69th birthday. I last flew a 330E in August 1978 so I am totally out of date with military flying. However; 2000hrs on 330C, 1000hrs on 330J and 9250hrs on 332L & L1s qualifies my opinion on Pumas in general.

On previous threads on the Puma Mk 2 it has been difficult for an outsider to establish what is exactly going to be changed. We can start off with the engines because we know the Makila is going in. A far better engine as far as power and fuel consumption is concerned. It is far more choosy than the Turmo with respect to what goes in the front end but it is assumed that the RAF, expecting to go to sandy places will keep the air separators on the front so it does not make a lot of difference.

The Turmo has a steam era control system that, though primitive and agricultural, does the job very reliably though with drawbacks, such as, it cannot keep up with what is just about to happen. It also has a compressor design that harks back to the Me 262 that is good for chewing birds but not so good at keeping abreast of the situation. The Makila changes all that. It’s got a fan in front of the compressor to improve its efficiency and lots of electronic gizmos to make sure the mechanical bits obey the whip.

You can drop the engines in the same mountings. However some of the control systems are behind the power turbine. The Turmo was easy, a drive above the engine told the fuel control unit , by means of bob weights, how fast the turbine was going. Too fast or too slow the bob weights adjusted the fuel. A drive shaft breaks and the turbine goes faster so the fuel its reduced and you have just a single engine type failure. Not so the Makila. That is electronic so if a shaft breaks the overspeed protection system will shut down the engine. Logical really, because it is no use without a shaft. Unfortunately this equipment is after the turbine and the 330 gearbox is not designed for it. The 332 gearbox is and will fit on the same mountings but then you get to lots of other things that now do not fit..

Like the Rotor Head.

Fitting a 332 gearbox and rotor system is no big deal. The 332C is of the same dimensions as a 330 so it can take it. Terminology like frequency adapters instead of drag dampers will fall into place quite easily but if you change one thing you transfer a problem to something else. In this case the pylon.

Two Makilas punching out 1800 horse power each tend to make a Puma twist a bit. Even in my time in the RAF formating behind another Puma as it lifted off and seeing how much the pylon leaned over was an education. Pumas have doubling plates on the boom/pylon joint. Super Pumas have trebling plates.

It is reasonably possible to make a Puma with Makilas and a 332 rotor system, after all a 332, a332L2 or a 225 is still basically a Puma. There may be bigger windows and airframe plugs that make it longer but there is a fair number of short 332Ls around. With this kit on you can now punch off at 8600 kgs instead of 7400 because the engines and rotor system can deliver the goods. The airframe may need to be tweaked to suit but that has been done before. The problem then comes when you want to land it. The Puma undercarriage is quite happy up to 7400kgs. Above that you need something a bit stronger; like the single wheel 332/332L1/225 u/c which, having been designed for cack handed French navy pilots, can accept a 900ft/min landing. Are the Puma Mk2s going to have this undercarriage? On a personal level I can assure you that I have made some horrendous arrivals on offshore decks without a murmur from this undercarriage.

There is the continuous comments about the cabin size which is justified. It is cramped and with the small windows of the 330 it is claustrophobic. Bigger windows are not too much of a problem, putting plugs in is.

The very first ‘Super Puma’ was a 1966 330A with a UH1 nose, Makilas and a plug in the back of the fuselage. The 332 eventually arrived with the ‘option’ of a forward plug. That was taken up and in all civil variants so that is the standard. The 225 has both the forward and the rear plug because it can lift them with bigger engines and better rotors.

A forward plug on the 332 gives you about 800mm and lots of problems.

Compared with the 330C the 332L is an absolute pig to throw about. The plug in the fuselage totally throws the lateral stability so it is always fighting a turn. In Singapore in 1970 when I knew I was going to fly Puma I discussed it with Roy Moxham, deputy chief pilot with Westlands and he described flying it as like flying a fighter. He was right and even later on the fully equipped dragmaster 330J it still flew like a fighter. If somebody is chasing me with lots of guns in his fuselage then I would rather be in a Puma.

Another problem with the plug is the C of G. I went through some Bristow weighing records some time ago and I was surprised to find that a 332L at zero fuel weight, ie empty, no crew, no fuel, had 46% of it weight on the nosewheel. That means that if the aircraft is loaded evenly, remembering that the crew is at the front, that at 8600kgs there is nearly 4 tonnes on the nosewheel, which is the same design as the Puma. Try landing on soft ground with that; even better if you roll on at ten knots.

I am a great believer in cockpit advances like digital presentations and 21st century navaids. It makes life so much easier so that you can actually concentrate on the job in hand. As I opened, I have no knowledge of present day military flying so I do not know how much of an improvement it would be operationally.

That’s my ten penny worth which some of you can discuss.

I flew professionally for forty eight years. In addition to my Puma variants I collected a 1000hrs on planks, 1500hrs on Whirlwinds and 2500hrs on the Sikorsky S76.

The Pumas and super Pumas were unique. Not once whilst flying them did I have a moment of concern.

I got my first bollocking when I was a cadet at South Cerney. My last was from a director of a Chinese helicopter company I was working for because i was teaching my Chinese co-pilot how to do very steep wingovers.

Dundiggin'
26th Feb 2011, 12:46
Congratulations on a fabulously detailed contribution - thanks. Such illustrious flying experience is welcomed esp as you agree with the main thrust of my post regarding the lack of volume in the 330 cabin (which adds credence to my post IMHO!). I assume therefore that you are saying that the current military modification to the Mk I is the only acceptable mod as the adding of plugs would lead to other problems?
In that case fair enough for the limited mod to the MkI, but I consider that although second hand Super Pumas would be more expensive they would have been a quantum leap in capacity and although dearer the £300M wasted on the MkI would have gone a long way to re-equiping with Super Pumas.
I would be interested if anyone has any knowledge of the costs of second hand Super Pumas...?.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
26th Feb 2011, 14:07
The other questions to ask is whether the RAF wanted the extra capacity. It would be a much more expensive (and riskier) modification to bring the capacity closer to what is already provided by the green Merlins.
You don't need a bigger aircraft with room for 16 troops with Bergens if a lot of your work is inserting sections of 10 or less men!

Yozzer
26th Feb 2011, 14:45
....or doing the Dauphans work for them with a few extra boots on board; and an option to use abseil or fast rope. Especially as the Olympics in Munich many years ago set a precident for military or at least paramilitary needs.

FWIW though, in the knowledge that aside from the relatively recent attrition replacement buy, every Puma from tranche one and two had, at some time been Cat IV damaged. Furthermore, a lifetime of service without HUMS and the infamous 'Crewmans heavy' MAUW mean that most if not all have been operated overweight at some stage. There are creases on airframes to be seen which a smart coat of paint cannot hide.

The Puma is a decade overdue replacement. There is a need for a medium sized support helicopter to fit between Lynx and Merlin, and Blackhawk, Super Puma or NH90 should have been purchased in small numbers (A sqns worth) several years ago when we still had some savings in the bank. The quick fix for a seemless transition was always Super Puma, but NH90 would have got my vote being tomorrows technology rather then in-built-vintage.

ShyTorque
26th Feb 2011, 15:51
The Puma is a decade overdue replacement.

A decade overdue?

There was talk of a Puma HC1 replacement in high places when I did my first tour on them.

In the late 1970s.

We wanted Blackhawk. They almost gave us WG-30s.

Dundiggin'
26th Feb 2011, 17:08
Well chaps thanks for all that commentary but the fact remains that the MkI's have often been used overweight which probably justifies the case for new engines but if the frames have been bending then this also would require beefed up frames to be included in the mod programme - has this been included? I have operated overweight many times (not proud of it) just 'operational exigencies' - and I have operated in situations where cabin volume was operationally restricting so how one can justify a certain 'requirement' as being the raison d'etre for purchasing for 'that' specific requirement when I think we all know that in the heat of Ops tasking the 'requirement' is often more than that which is advertised. To that end service 'operational requirements' should surely have a built-in operational flex which, in my experience, would have been more than adequately satisfied with a Super Puma-type cabin volume. Instead of which we have now done the good thing with engines etc but the cabin size remains an unnecessary and embarrassing limiting factor!! It's bloody mad and a waste of money!
I flew in the WG70 (I think it was WG70 and not WG30) ie the Westlands built Blackhawk and trained the Westland engineers in the art of USLs. Now if you think the Puma MkI cabin was small you want to try this one!! It would have to be crewed (in the back) by pygmies; the cabin was much smaller than the Puma MkI and was never a practical option at any time. But if I am to read this aright and be a little cynical then providing the engines had anticipators and a glass cockpit then the job was a good'ne!!
I'm glad to be a civvy and not have to endure this crap any more...but those that have to endure it don't be conned into thinking this is a good idea - it is in part but as usual the 'happy clappy' IPT (?) who put this together didn't give a toss for the crewman/user's lot but just their own ticks in the 'I must be part of an aircraft modification' box in order to gain promotion.:ugh:
That may be a bit harsh but that's how it looks............:hmm:
And still you get to piss off the user because there is not enough space FFS!:\

AP
I am firmly of the opinion that over the years, the deficiencies of the Puma/Wessex cabin volumes has driven the reduction in size of the stick numbers used operationally. That may sound obvious, but I have seen the Army frustration and then the inevitable compromise which then became 'the norm' ie 10. Perhaps eventually the army was happy with the reduced size - it would be good to hear their point of view......please?

Fareastdriver
26th Feb 2011, 21:58
second hand Super Pumas

In the East Asian Tiger financial crash of the late 90s the Chinese company I used to work for bought the Sumsung Super Puma. Sumsung were strapped for cash so they unloaded their CEO's helicopter. It was beautiful. Full VIP leather fit with swivelling armchairs, airconditioning for the cabin and cockpit and a bar for the passengers. An airstair door on the port side and a seperate one under the boom so the plebs could get in the back was included. At the time nobody wanted a Super Puma so my company got it for US$7,000,000 with 482hrs on it.
It had a Korean registration. They stripped the armchairs out but the seat rails could only accept twelve seats that came from a crashed Bristow Tiger. In this fit the aircraft was based offshore with a Chinese crew doing inter field shuttles. Came the day when the company told me it was my turn to go offshore with it.
'I haven't got a Korean licence or a validation from Seoul so I can't fly it.' I didn't mention that the Chinese crews didn't either.
'Mayo wente, (no problem) we will get it a Chinese registration.'
The aircraft was on the ramp being turned round after arrival. Within five minutes a couple of enginers went out with a role of black sticky tape and covered the Korean reg witha new number.
TIC (This is China) I thought, so off I went and flew it. When I brought it back after a week they towed it into the hanger and sprayed a completely different set of numbers on.

I had to digress a bit. A second hand Super Puma will have something like 15 to 20 thousand hours on it which it probably more than the RAF's Pumas.
Most of them would have been used offshore, or even worse, logging.

There is a popular misconception among miltary helicopter pilots, I used to be the same, that offshore helicopters have it easy compared to the rough and tumble of a military one. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. An offshore helicopter spends almost all of its time taking off at MAUW and then spending hours in high speed cruise, landing on a deck, reloading to MAUW and high speed cruising back again. When the BV234 was introduced on the North Sea the factory engineers were horrified with the punishment the aircraft was taking. It was never resolved and it was one of the reasons it came off the North Sea.

Bristow Helicopters will not accept a factory reconditioned gearbox that has been used on a logging 332. End of story. I, personally would not touch one with a bargepole. They come very cheap.

On a personal note a query. Whilst I was on 33 Sqn I used to bleat about things that I felt would improve life. One thing happened after I left that interest me.

The standard 330 was fitted with five fuel tanks. The 330C, the RAF one, had the fifth tank removed and was replaced with the Decca receiver. When the Decca was replaced by a little box called GPS did the RAF fit No 5 tank? It was worth another 300 kgs of fuel. The 330J I flew had six tanks, one replaced the load pole hole and that had about 1500kgs of fuel on board. I was always strapped for fuel on a 330C so I wonder if somebody saw sense.

Sorry about the ramblings but we are discussing my favourite aircraft.

obnoxio f*ckwit
26th Feb 2011, 22:08
I start this with the caveat that I had but a peripheral role in this, and a several years ago to boot, but here goes.

Dundiggin, clearly you share the same frustration as many, including me, with lack of progress that doing this sort of work to the venerable old Puma provides. The fact that there even is a Puma 2 programme is down to one, and only one reason - money, or more accurately, the lack of it. However, you appear to have fallen into the same trap that many have fallen into when discussing this project:

It is my opinion that this mod programme has not gone far enough to improve the operational capabillity of the Puma.
The Puma 2 programme is not, and never was, a programme designed to "improve the operational capabillity of the Puma". The word "upgrade" was a dirty word for this project, anything that even remotely looked like upgrade for upgrades sake would have been ruthlessly scrutinised out. Bigger cabin? Upgrade, funding denied. Sponsons? Upgrade, funding denied. Uprated transmission? Upgrade, funding denied, etc etc etc. The Puma 2 programme is a Life Extension Programme and nothing more. The brief was roughly as follows:

"We cannot keep flying the Puma as it is past its current OSD of 2012, but we cannot afford to lose the even the small amount of capability that the Puma brings. Find a way to maintain the capability until we can afford to buy a replacement. Oh, by the way, don't even think about anything new, there isn't any money."

Far cleverer people than I crunched lots of numbers and came to the conclusion that stagging on the Puma past its then OSD of 2012 without doing something about the anticipator problem would not demonstrate ALARP. Anticipators are not retro-fittable to the Turmo engines, so a new engine had to be sought. EC had already done the work of fitting Makila engines to early Pumas, and had JAR 29 accreditation for doing so. This was therefore a proven and already flying mod. Qinetiq could read across a lot of the JAR 29 approval work to the Puma 2 programme, reducing the amount of certification work they needed to do, keeping the cost down. The fact that the Makilas are more powerful, more fuel efficient and are far better hot and high is irrelevant, although very welcome; they were chosen for no other reason than that was the cheapest way to get anticipators onto the Puma.
Wrt the glass cockpit, it simply comes with the engines! It is all part of the same overall EC modification programme. EC had not done any work with Makilas and the RAF standard cockpit fit, so to try and integrate the Makila engines with the steam driven Mk1 would have hugely increased the cost, bespoke design work would need to be done, and Qinetiq would probably have had to start from scratch (remember the Chinook Mk3?). Please believe me when I say that if it could have been done more cheaply without the glass cockpit element, it would have!

Fareastdriver, certainly when I was close to it, the intention was to put the 5th tank back in, it wasn't going to cost any extra.

I consider that although second hand Super Pumas would be more expensive they would have been a quantum leap in capacity and although dearer the £300M wasted on the MkI would have gone a long way to re-equiping with Super Pumas.
Unfortunately, the £300m would not have gone a long way to re-equipping with Super Pumas. £300m is the lot, there is no more for the £300m to go towards. The reduction in funds for RW programmes from £6bn, to £3bn, to £1.5bn made sure of that. The numbers being thrown about during my small involvement were a lot bigger (of the order of £700m), and that still was nowhere near enough to replace the Puma with something else. Other threads have made the comparison the £300m would buy you 20 Blackhawks, or 15 Cougars etc, and I’m sure it would. However, how much of the £300m quoted is upfront cost, and how much is through-life? If it costs £300m to buy 15 Cougars, but then another £500m to support them through the next 10 years, but the £300m for the Puma 2 is all of the cost involved, then you are not really comparing like with like (I don’t know the answer to this by the way, merely asking the question).

The solution to all the bloody problems has been staring people in the face for years and that is the SUPER PUMA!!! It has everything the RAF needs to eradicate the handling problems; engines with anticipators, a glass cockpit and room in the back for 25 troops. But more importantly, it would have given the Puma Sqns a proper chance to give the user units a better service in the field by way of more cabin volume for more troops, bigger bergens and more weapons.
I agree, completely. Unfortunately, financial reality has to be lived with. There was no money for Super Pumas, and there will be no money for Super Pumas.

PS:

I'm glad to be a civvy and not have to endure this crap any more.
Me too!

XV277
26th Feb 2011, 23:21
I remember reading, as a schoolboy, that that the RAF would be ordering the Super Puma (in about 1981) to replace the Wessex!!

Rakshasa
27th Feb 2011, 09:10
If you're after army opinions, I've noticed the ARRSE forums have grown in size recently. Might be worth cross posting the thread there.

Airborne Aircrew
27th Feb 2011, 11:36
I've noticed the ARRSE forums have grown in size recently

Yes, and the quality shrunk proportionately. :rolleyes:

heights good
28th Feb 2011, 20:29
the root operational problem of the Puma Mk I ergo there is not enough cabin volume to do the best job. There may be extra engine power but no extra cabin volume to utilise it!

Dundiggin - I am not sure where you are getting your ideas from but presently and for the past 5 years the puma has weighted out WAY before it has bulked out. You are quite incorrect in thinking a bigger cabin will help things.

I can only assume you are not in the loop with regard to current and previous Puma ops.

HG

Tiger_mate
1st Mar 2011, 05:22
"I can only assume you are not in the loop with regard to current and previous Puma ops."

You didnt want to say that :E
....because he does know quite a bit about the Puma :ok:
....a few thousand more hours then you do.

heights good
1st Mar 2011, 16:59
And how many hours do I have just out of curiosity :)

Hours only count for so much, there are instructors at Shawbury that dont have a clue about what is happening in the RAF and they have 10,000+ hrs. My point still stands, the Puma weights out before it bulks out.

HG

Dundiggin'
1st Mar 2011, 19:25
Tiger Mate - thanks for the backing matey! :ok: But I don't want this to develop into a p@ssing contest with HG. What I do know is that on the operational occasions when 'weight wasn't necessarily an issue' :rolleyes: - volume certainly was and I don't give a tuppeny toss about 'how many' or 'how often'. When operational effectiveness/success was an issue and we were prepared to throw the rule book out of the window in order to achieve the task we threw the 'weight issue' out as much as we possibly dared but could do nothing with the 'volume' issue. Not a happy state to be in and only shere providence prevented disasters occurring on more than one occasion. So when the 'sh@ts' in the fan', a bigger cabin could have prevented the Puma crews from baring their arses for the big one! (so to speak!).
So to re-iterate my point; spending money on this relatively unnecessary modification would have been better spent by including an increase in cabin volume to make the whole effort more operationally effective.

obnoxio f*ckwit
1st Mar 2011, 20:13
Dundiggin, I think you miss the point again. There was a square root of f*ck all chance of an increase in cabin volume ever happening, even if not a penny of the £300m was spent on new engines/glass cockpits/comms etc. Even if somebody with the right amount of authority had said "hang on chaps, we've done the sums again and we don't actually need to do the whole anticipators thing anymore, why don't we spend the £300m on an increase in cabin volume, that would really improve the effectiveness of Puma ops", they would have been shown the door very quickly because an increase in cabin volume would be a pure capability enhancement, and that was utterly verboten. If the £300m was not spent on the Puma 2 programme, it would have been spent on another outreach group for Upper Voltan Transexual Pygmies and most definitely not on putting fuselage plugs in.

As I said before, boffins with Tefal heads said that the safety analyses concluded that operation of Puma without anticipator was unsafe past 2012. To stag her on for another 10 years meant finding a way to put anticipators on. The Makila modification was the cheapest (and I underline that very deliberately) way of doing that, everything else (glass cockpits etc) is simply part of that mod, as it would have been more expensive to to do it any other way.

Of course we would all prefer Super Pumas/Blackhawks etc, but it was never going to happen, so enjoy the Puma 2 as its as good as you're going to get.

Dundiggin'
2nd Mar 2011, 21:16
Many thanks for that matey.............but it still wrankles big time ......

Father Jack Hackett
2nd Mar 2011, 22:03
Afghanistan is one of the most, if not the most hostile of aviation environments on the planet - fact. Puma 1 would have been able to carry a fraction of the 16/12/10/whatever troop capacity in high summer and therefore not be an asset to Op HERRICK and hence highly vulnerable to getting cut completely.

Puma 2 may still struggle to bulk out before it hits MAUW in Afghanistan but nevertheless should still get close to max-capacity on most occasions. As such that represents a useful asset. It may not be the gold-plated Rolls Royce solution but it still counts as a capability upgrade in my books, if not exactly the best value for money.

ShyTorque
2nd Mar 2011, 22:24
boffins with Tefal heads said that the safety analyses concluded that operation of Puma without anticipator was unsafe past 2012.

So before then it's OK?

Glad I got my three tours in before it becomes unsafe.

(But the Boscombe Down Appraisal I read in 1979 did say it should never enter squadron service until it was fitted with them).

obnoxio f*ckwit
3rd Mar 2011, 08:22
So before then it's OK?

Not really, but the cost of doing the mod outweighed the risk if the Puma was only going to last a few more years until 2012, but if you wanted it to go on until 2022, the the risk outweighed the cost, so ALARP could not be shown unless you did it (or words to that effect)(it was a Cost Benefit Analysis but thats as much as I can remember so please don't ask for any more details!)

jayteeto
3rd Mar 2011, 10:15
Matey, I think that was sarcasm........... Aberdeen must be getting to you!

heights good
3rd Mar 2011, 15:37
"Afghanistan is one of the most, if not the most hostile of aviation environments on the planet - fact. Puma 1 would have been able to carry a fraction of the 16/12/10/whatever troop capacity in high summer and therefore not be an asset to Op HERRICK."

Lynx anyone? :E

HG

p.s. I'm half joking

obnoxio f*ckwit
3rd Mar 2011, 17:12
JT, you're not wrong, it's been above freezing for a few days now so I must be getting heatstroke!

TripleC
10th Mar 2011, 20:05
The Puma was a replacement for the Whirlwind in fact.

lsh
10th Mar 2011, 21:00
Maybe we should have bought the "Westland Wardrobe"?

lsh
:E

wokkamate
11th Mar 2011, 14:17
This is all academic anyway boys and girls as the whole project is about to get binned. Shame, but a post SDSR reality :ugh:

ShyTorque
11th Mar 2011, 14:27

Yes, then some other crewmen could have stood up in it... :E

One bark for yes.... :ouch:

;)

lsh
11th Mar 2011, 19:57
I say old chap!

lsh

MG
11th Mar 2011, 20:24
'This is all academic anyway boys and girls as the whole project is about to get binned. Shame, but a post SDSR reality'

Of course, someone from Odiham knowing the intimate details of a Puma programme!

chinook240
8th Apr 2011, 18:51
Looks like MG was wrong, from today's Guardian MoD and Treasury agree deal to plug £1bn funding gap | UK news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/08/ministry-defence-treasury-agree-deal):

However, the Treasury has agreed to pay for upgrades to Puma helicopters used by troops in Afghanistan out of the special reserve, a move that would save £250m from the core defence budget.

Doesn't say how many frames though.

Also on the Chinny front:

The Treasury has not provided any new money for the defence budget, senior officials said. Instead, plans to buy new Chinook helicopters will be delayed and will not now be delivered until British combat troops have left Afghanistan.

Dundiggin'
8th Apr 2011, 19:08
'However, the Treasury has agreed to pay for upgrades to Puma helicopters used by troops in Afghanistan out of the special reserve, a move that would save £250m from the core defence budget.'

Oh yeah.....so just how many RAF Pumas are being used by soldiers in Aghanistan?

AFIK - NONE!!!

SO JUST WHAT BLOODY USE IS THIS MOD GOING TO BE?

PS: Sorry...I got wound up again over this senseless waste of money...:ugh::ugh:

oldbeefer
8th Apr 2011, 19:15

lsh
:EWent to Yeovil with the (then )Stn Cdr (the White Tornado) to look at this heli. "The ground clearance looks a bit low for a SH?". Yes, well it's designed for the civvy market". Oh. Are there any hardpoints for weapons etc". No, it's designed for the civvy market".

This went on for over an hour. This was a company trying to sell a heli to the military. Westlands, bless 'em.

Dundiggin'
8th Apr 2011, 20:21
OK - here's another suggestion - why not cancel this 'Puma 2' bollox and purchase the 17 Dutch Cougars. I understand some of the arguments as to how we could not but come on blokes let's drive towards what would be the answer.........
Sorry to hear that the Dutch are downsizing but let's keep the output in NATO and whatever it takes let's get hold of them. They are the biz.....:cool: then sell the Mk 1s/Mk2s who knows someone might want them...:rolleyes:

NutLoose
9th Apr 2011, 03:35
And add to that the Canadian Chinooks?

MG
9th Apr 2011, 12:56
Chinook240: read my post again, I was quoting Wokkamate, hence the inverted commas.

chinook240
9th Apr 2011, 13:49
MG,

Sorry mate, you're correct, but the result is the same - the plastic pig flies again! Are you on a cse at the moment?

MG
9th Apr 2011, 15:30
Chinook240: thanks for that.
No, I did my OCUs years ago but I'm still around the RW world!

Marly Lite
10th Apr 2011, 10:14
"SO JUST WHAT BLOODY USE IS THIS MOD GOING TO BE?"

Well, Dundiggin,

1. It'll make the Puma more capable than Merlin in Afgan.
2. The Puma IS fragged for afganistan.
3. There's plenty of other stuff going on outside of Afghan despite what the Army is desperate to tell everyone.
4. CH47 is not the answer for everything.
5. Without Puma 2 The RAF will lose 2 MORE sqns of lift to fund the AAC's purchase of yet another chocolate teapot (Wildcat)
6. Lets see how YOU like operating the current ac with 1:40 endurance, one radio and no anticipators.
7. Upgrading Puma 2 is cheaper than buying new platforms.

Fareastdriver
10th Apr 2011, 10:44
I would go for the idea of buying the Dutch 532s. The trainers and engineers will bleat about the infrastructure for the conversions and engineering but the transition from the 330 to 332 seem to be fairly simple judging by everybody else that has done it.

Cancellation costs for the Mk2 program is the killer and nobody is going to buy them if it is carried through. 17 532 airframes will not be enough but if it possible to halve the Mk2 programme the numbers may add up. Judging by my experience with organizations unloading surplus aircraft the Dutch aircraft could come quite cheaply. That with the reduced cost of the smaller Mk2 project may come to the same figures as the whole Mk 2 programme.

The performance would be similar but the Mk 2 would keep ahead with the lower basic weight. There is no reason why two differently equipped squadrons could not operate together using each others aircrew as required. I used to switch between the 330 and the 332 on a daily basis, as did a lot of others.

TheWizard
10th Apr 2011, 11:34
"SO JUST WHAT BLOODY USE IS THIS MOD GOING TO BE?"

1. It'll make the Puma more capable than Merlin in Afgan.

Good luck with the quad bikes, trailers and pallets then!!

chinook240
10th Apr 2011, 15:26
Good luck with the quad bikes, trailers and pallets then!!

But not all at the same time,surely?

high spirits
10th Apr 2011, 15:51
Chinook240,
Banter level is inversely proportional to weight carried...