PDA

View Full Version : Those Green "Flying Suits" Of Yesteryear..

Ex FSO GRIFFO
21st Feb 2011, 11:41
Hi All,

Can anybody please advise where I may be able to purchase one of those green flying suits / overalls thingys with all those zippers etc..??

The one I have, I bought from a disposals store in SY over '40 something' years ago...

And now it won't fit!! And I have NO IDEA of why not??

Anyway, suffice it to say that if I could get another, the 'grandies' would be pleased....

The 'old one' is labelled 'C.G.C.F., size 2, R.A.N. Made in Australia.'

Any ideas guys and gals..??

Cheers:ok:

tmpffisch
21st Feb 2011, 11:50
Such as Transair Pilot Flightsuit (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Flightsuits-Military-Spec-Flight-Suit-Transair-Pilot-Flightsuit+8965) ?

Dunno where you'll find them in Australia though.

Capn Bloggs
21st Feb 2011, 12:41
What's this for Griffo, your new job as honorary CFI at the club? :}

aussie027
21st Feb 2011, 13:26
Ex FSO,
Try a net search of US pilot supply shops, they can readily be bought at a number of them in store or online. Any size, brand new, probably made in the good ole USA.

I bought numerous pairs of nomex military flying gloves when I lived in US. Here in Aust they were impossible to source years ago at any civilian store anywhere.:ok:

Chimbu chuckles
21st Feb 2011, 13:41
Gibson & Barnes.

Products (http://www.gibson-barnes.com/index.php?id=18)

HarleyD
21st Feb 2011, 17:57
EXFSO GRIFFO

I may well have one exactly as described, at least i know that i did have one a few years ago. pm me in few days when i am back home and i will have a rummage through the boxes in the shed.

HD

I wish i could get photobucket to work so i could post a few pics of the beech 18's that i found in a falling down hangar a few days ago, amazing what is rotting away in some places.

tinpis
21st Feb 2011, 20:21
Harley

simple

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/)

psycho joe
21st Feb 2011, 23:04
Virtually every non military flight suit wearers in the country use these guys

www.sisleyclothing.com.au"] (http://www.sisleyclothing.com.au)

They can customise as many pockets and zips as you like, their suits last forever their quality is second to none and they're Australian made. :ok:

peuce
21st Feb 2011, 23:30
Griffo,

Ask them if they have a version for pregnant pilots. You know, the ones with the stomach bulge built in. Might be just perfect! :p

mattyj
22nd Feb 2011, 02:51
..at my local field, all the warbirds pilots wear them

The rest of us call them sh!t-hots:E

tinpis
22nd Feb 2011, 04:23
Gro-Bags. :hmm:

MTOW
22nd Feb 2011, 04:26
What are you willing to pay for a brand new one, never been worn, still with those useless leather thingies on the zippers, Griffo?

Storm Girl
22nd Feb 2011, 04:28
Mr G, you cut a trim figure in that green flying suit.......back in '67!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
22nd Feb 2011, 06:42
Thankyou 'SG' ......Just wot I wanted to hear......

More hair in 'dem days' too.....

Now....back to Hawker for U.......

:ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
22nd Feb 2011, 06:52
Many thanks guys and gals,....I'm overwhelmed.

I don't really want one of those 'new fangled' modern all singin' all dancin' fireproof thingys......

Just one of those 'old fashioned' green, loose fitting, (Yeah - that's a wish NOW Tom)... with all the zippers and the little leather thong thingies - optional - so that I can enjoy 'old age' a little more humourously.

MTOW - Wot do ya reckon U might want for it, and I guess I would need a size 4 by now....MY MTOW has increased a bit....a lot!!
PM me if you like...

Peucey - I thought you were out of sight....??

And Mr Harley..please got those photos on here...soon..

Thanks again guys for all the responses.
I am serious about trying to get one that fits......

Worth's Circus want too much for their tent...:=:=

Cheers:ok::ok:

Keg
22nd Feb 2011, 08:20
eBay is going to be your best bet.

Howard Hughes
23rd Feb 2011, 02:39
their suits last forever
Ya kiddin aren't ya?:hmm:

psycho joe
23rd Feb 2011, 03:21
Quote:
their suits last forever

Ya kiddin aren't ya?

Not if he's 69.

I though it was nicer than saying 'A new Sisley flight suit will still be going strong long after you're DEAD'. :uhoh:

Clare Prop
23rd Feb 2011, 03:26
Fancy dress shop, along with stick on handlebar moustache? :E

Howard Hughes
23rd Feb 2011, 03:56
'A new Sisley flight suit will still be going strong long after you're DEAD'.
Once again, ya kiddin aren't ya? In my experience the workmanship is very poor...:{

I don't know of anyone that has not had problems with stitching...:eek:

psycho joe
23rd Feb 2011, 06:47
Once again, ya kiddin aren't ya? In my experience the workmanship is very poor...

I don't know of anyone that has not had problems with stitching...

That's disturbing. I know someone who's had a sisley for over 10 years. Attention to detail was meticulous, I hope that hasn't changed. Does Sisley still own the company?

Exaviator
23rd Feb 2011, 19:17
And now it won't fit!! And I have NO IDEA of why not??

Just gave my old Navy blue one away recently, for the same reason - had it for nearly forty years and it finally shrunk. Must have washed too often.:D

tiger19
23rd Feb 2011, 22:56
Don't tell me Mrs Griffo wants to bring back dress up night to add that spark. Oh maverick, you naval aviator you!!!!

aroa
24th Feb 2011, 05:40
Anyone know of someone that has an old "Sidcot" flying suit WW2 vintage.
Has the diagonal, button up/ zip across the chest and a large map pocket.
I'd like to get hold of an original to copy. (Or buy,.. ditto the helmet)

Used to have one, and the leather helmet and gosport tubes to go with it, when I was a little noddy learning to fly Tiger Moths MANY moons ago.
Sadly, madly I gave them all away when I sold the Tiger in '63.
Going back to open cockpit... need the kit again.

desertduck
25th Feb 2011, 03:29
Griffo

Most disposal store have a range of second hand ones.

Last price I had from Sisley was about $600. Nice suit but I dont need a second mortage just to buy one.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
2nd Mar 2011, 01:43
Thanks DD, and to everybody else as well.....

I guess the main problem nowadays is that if I had my 'present figure' waaaay back then, I wouldn't have got into the darn thing then either.....

I guess I'll just wear the 'usuals' - jeans and a long sleeved shirt for the 'Tiger'......

Howard Hughes
2nd Mar 2011, 02:03
What about one of these Griffo?:E

http://www.airsports.com.au/images/LightweightSuit3l.jpg

Ex FSO GRIFFO
2nd Mar 2011, 03:51
MMMAAAATTTTE!!!

I don't wanna look like a..........

TheShadow
2nd Mar 2011, 13:04
Contact [email protected]

I've got loads of used ones (Large) in varying degrees of wear from new to used.

Nomex in green and gloves too. Green jackets.

Helicopter bonedome?

flying boots?

Perth WA

Runaway Gun
2nd Mar 2011, 16:16
..and a friendly reminder to wear cotton undergarments underneath (including t-shirt), and not synthetic meltable man-made fibres (like nylon or polyester).

The nomex doesn't stop heat from reaching your skin, it simply doesn't melt easily. A layer of cotton underneath means you get two layers of insulating air protecting your skin.