PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow Security Arch

Skipness One Echo
20th Feb 2011, 20:31
Through GLA tonight, everyone was ushered under a seemingly innocuous arch before joining the line for bag and body security but after the boarding card check.. It has a tiny sign telling us it's not doing a few things but I wonder, does anyone know what it's for?

Explosive sniffer?

Donkey497
20th Feb 2011, 20:56
If there was nozzles like the aircon in the plane & a minimum wait time under it then, probably yes. If it was walk straight through, then probably an electronic scanner of some sort.

Hmmmm, I wonder if someone's managed to work up a practical version of my idea of "pinging" for certain chemicals & listening for the right combination of peaks in the responses at key resonant frequencies?

Skipness One Echo
20th Feb 2011, 21:46
Nope straight through. I could see everyone was curious and slowing down for a wee look but it had deliberately been set up to be discrete with a tiny little notice, also unstaffed it seems but I bet CCTV'd to the hilt.

A little underhand I felt to be scanned in such a way by something I know not what without even being asked. I bet some of the Americans might object.

farci
21st Feb 2011, 07:37
It's been there for months and from what I can see is not yet operational. Glasgow is suffering a severe passenger downturn so maybe the airport is looking down the back of the sofas for a few bawbees to hook it up?:O

dhc83driver
21st Feb 2011, 16:15
would this be it,

Airport security: New explosive detector aims to cut down security waiting times | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1329082/Airport-security-New-explosive-detector-aims-cut-security-waiting-times.html)

farci
22nd Feb 2011, 07:28
@dhc83driver - yes, the very one.

Although
Independent security analyst Paul Beaver has welcomed the latest developments which he says will do away with the 'indignity' of removing shoes and belts.We're still having to undress....

crippen
22nd Feb 2011, 08:02
If it is anything like the explosive detector we used to use,do not f..t anywhere near it!:)

Dan Gerous
27th Feb 2011, 11:41
If it is anything like the explosive detector we used to use,do not f..t anywhere near it!

Crippen, thats just asking for it. Folk will be holding one in just to see if they can set it off.:)