PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows reducing in size

sunshine band
17th Feb 2011, 23:04
It looks like they are going down to only 4 aircraft judging by the conference table... or maybe just a JENGO, display manager and a Synchro Pair...

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/1024redoffice060708.jpg

SB

EDIT: Please adjust this picture size to 850x850 - the PPRuNe maximum size. Thank you.

minigundiplomat
17th Feb 2011, 23:22
Numbers are to be reduced. For the 2011 season the team will consist of 7 people.

AOC Aerobatic Policy & Doctrine
Gp Capt Airshow Engagement
Gp Capt Public Affairs and Media Strategy
Wg Cdr Team Leader
Wg Cdr SENGO
Sqn Ldr Aerobatic HR & Equality Policy
Red 1 [Charboy]

The display will last 6 minutes and contain straight and level flight only, following extensive integration working group profiling and in keeping with H&S and MAA guidelines.
The accompanying commentary will contain some details of the display, but will concentrate on delivering core values and ethos to the intended demographic.
Due to extensive cuts to the RAFAT budget, the number of displays has been cut dramatically. The team will now only display at the following venues:

Paris Air Show
Rio De Janiero Mardi Gras
New York Independance Day FlyPast
Johannasburg Airshow
Honolulu Fly-In Weekend
Prague Airshow
Maldives Aviation Festival

PLovett
18th Feb 2011, 00:42
Wot! They goin' back to Gnats are they? :}

stumpey
18th Feb 2011, 01:32
Think we would see a far better display than what their forced to use now.:p

Willard Whyte
18th Feb 2011, 06:51
mgd,

An interesting list of airshow venues, although the list fails to mention participation in any 'lgbt' festivals.

I take it the single aircraft will have multiple canisters to give a full rainbow smoke trail?

ACW599
18th Feb 2011, 07:22
<I take it the single aircraft will have multiple canisters to give a full rainbow smoke trail?<

Hadn't you heard? For the 2011 financial year the single aircraft will change to a Vigilant T Mk 1. There is no budget for smoke canisters.

VinRouge
18th Feb 2011, 08:17
Red Arrows reducing in Size

Do you mean from this:

Airfix 1/48 Red Arrow Hawk Gift Set - A50031A - £17.99 (http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/airfix-148-red-arrow-hawk/)

to this?

BAe Hawk T.Mk.1 The Red Arrows by Revell (http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/toys/revell-arrows-04622.asp)

Pontius Navigator
18th Feb 2011, 08:25
Red 1 [Charboy]

The display will last 6 minutes and contain straight and level flight only,

But surely that is discriminatory against minority groups? Why RED and why only straight, although having a singleton is fine?

VinRouge
18th Feb 2011, 08:36
naah, drop white. Blue and red = purple. We could get way up the top 100 if the reds put on a purple display for our LGBT brothers and sisters.:D

N707ZS
18th Feb 2011, 09:04
Heard they will be only using black smoke as a tribute and new formations will be the Harrier and Nimrod.

neilf92
18th Feb 2011, 09:40
Due to lack of training time - "straight" will be amended to "straight -ish " .

Harley Quinn
18th Feb 2011, 10:22
naah, drop white. Blue and red = purple. We could get way up the top 100 if the reds put on a purple display for our LGBT brothers and sisters.:D

Surely if they were to drop the blue instead of white then they would have a perfect pink- ideal for your suggestion

Canadian Break
18th Feb 2011, 12:44
Very Good!

Canadian WokkaDoctor
18th Feb 2011, 12:53
Numbers are to be reduced. For the 2011 season the team will consist of 7 people.

Wg Cdr Team Leader
Wg Cdr SENGO
Red 1 [Charboy]

It doesn’t matter how many times they go "up-diddly-up-up", they're still gits!

CWD

davejb
18th Feb 2011, 16:35
MGD,
well done - a pretty fair assessment of corporate strategy in this day and age, I'd think. Shouldn't there be some sort of equalities officer in there too? Preferably outwardly female, white, blonde haired, blue eyed, and determined to see more 'ethnicity' in the mix, along with a degree of ambivalence about gender?

I was going to suggest that some of the senior officers should be required to be gay, but then I can't help feeling that many probably are - it's a side effect of spending so much time up your boss's ahhhhhhnd another thing...

Well done, a well crafted and humorous take on a favourite Pprune theme....

Dave

chippy63
19th Feb 2011, 00:26
Yes, a very fair and reasoned structure. Lacking though, I fear, in a couple of key areas- which could be filled as follows:
Liaison officer- newest and bestest nearest 'n' dearest
(must be french speaking- geddit?)
to be filled by a top end flt lt- success in this role ( defined as not starting WWIII ) rewarded with MBE and promotion.
Legal officer
preferably with a degree in vetinerary studies. To handle off the wall claims from people claiming that their angora / llama / hippopotamus kicked the bucket as a result of the display.
Flypast community mix compliance officer
to ensure that when a vet requests an en route flyover, the audience will consist of a proper mix of M/F (that's the easy bit) B/W, straight/ gay, etc, and the odd p1key.

I'm sure that there are other gaps to be filled. By the way, I'm assuming it's "no manoeuvres or turns below FL250" for H & S reasons?

Tiger_mate
19th Feb 2011, 07:24
When balanced by the kick in the slats that our people are getting these days I believe that RAFAT should cease with immediate effect. The public will believe that everything is ok until they are directly effected and the demise of RAFAT would send a strong signal. It is time that the public arena had a strong smell of coffee circulating. I believe that BBMF are intent on sending the Dakota to India on a visit.......... :mad: ....and I am quite sure that the only reason UAS have ducked the SDSR radar is because they double up as a former senior officer flying club.

We really should bring the reality of the SDSR Crisis to bare down on the taxpayer. ...and it is: A Crisis!

Dengue_Dude
19th Feb 2011, 10:41
I hate titles that aren't clear.

When you say they're reducing in size . . . do you mean their height, or their waist measurements?

This could have a severe impact on the local pie industry, sales of Mars bars to say nothing of the poor souls in the flying suit industry.

You'll be saying they're falling back to the standard grow-bags next.

Do TRY to be a little more precise . . .

airborne_artist
19th Feb 2011, 10:53
EDIT: Please adjust this picture size to 850x850 - the PPRuNe maximum size. Thank you.

Suggest to PPrune head sheds that they implement the Vbulletin image resizer (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118048)?

EDIT: Might be a good idea if the owners decide but a vb board is going in so the size above must stay. Sorry 'an all that.

Rigga
19th Feb 2011, 21:55
A final venue has been added to conclude the annual programme and a sequence of open-air walking debrief conferences are to be held near to the RAF Leuchars Fly-In.

Conference attendees will be:

Wg Cdr Team Leader
Wg Cdr SENGO
Red 1 [Charboy]

Attendees are to push/pull their associated long and heavy wheeled bags of long metallic pointers and indicators as they discuss the past year's strategies.

The best round will be presented with the Director/Player Of The Year cup.

minigundiplomat
19th Feb 2011, 22:15
Following the first display practice, there have been a number of changes.

Red1 has been sacked. This was in no small part due to his missing his display slot. As many will know, display slots are tight and display crews must be pedantic when it comes to timing. It is thought he missed the slot as he was still putting up the team marquee whilst the remainder of the team held a working group in the hospitality area.

He has been replaced by 3 Flt Ops Sqn Ldr's and a FOM Sgt. Each Flt Ops officer will be issued with either a red, white or blue chinagraph. The FOM will supervise, due to the sharp ends.

This does mean that there will not actually be any flying display, but spectators will be invited to one of the many policy steering groups or presentations on airpower and the role of core values in todays shrinking air force.

An MOD spokesman said today that the team would be adding various LGBT venues to the list of displays. When questioned with regard to the value of an aerobatic display team with no aircraft or pilots, the spokesman was angrily dismissive.
'This is the kind of embittered attitude we have come to expect in todays society. The expensive aspect of an aerobatic team is of course the aircraft. By removing these, we are providing better value for money across a number of cost streams, whilst still maintaining an insight into how todays RAF operates'.

Lyneham Lad
20th Feb 2011, 10:53
Very droll mgd, very droll indeed (and possibly quite prescient too).

airborne_artist
20th Feb 2011, 12:12
'This is the kind of embittered attitude we have come to expect in todays society. The expensive aspect of an aerobatic team is of course the aircraft. By removing these, we are providing better value for money across a number of cost streams, whilst still maintaining an insight into how todays RAF operates'. He added:

"By operating without aircraft we will also able to increase serviceability and we will be less affected by adverse weather, which has caused the curtailment or cancellation of about 20% of displays in the past five years. Flight safety will be increased, as we will no longer have to watch out for aircraft not obeying NOTAMs within the display area.

It is this kind of out-of-the-box thinking that will benefit future RAF operations - doing more with less, while maintaining the core values and traditions of the service."

langleybaston
20th Feb 2011, 17:50
The new team [brilliant: I hope they read it] surely needs:

One Chief Met Officer [fully Forecasting and H&S trained] and
a fully qualified observer [his wife, actually] to be able to sign the legal record of CAVOK. I am needed to countersign it.

At the first sign of need I will forecast sufficient clag for a sufficient period so that we can all adjourn to the bar.

[as I am retired, my team comes at competitive rates: 1st class travel, minimum **** accom., £100 pocket money each per day, and a retainer of, say, £20,000 p.a. index linked].

Passport ready, 5 years validity.

towerview
20th Feb 2011, 18:22
I think this is what you are looking for as a starting point. Nothing wrong with a single aircraft display, who needs 10, as long as you paint it a more vivid colour than red.

Home of the dutch F16 demo team RNLAF 2010 2011 - Team Members (http://www.f16demoteam.nl/site/pages/the-team/team-members.php)

Oh....and it would help if you have a funny name

Display Pilot 2007/2008/2009 Capt. Ralph "Sheik" Aarts