PDA

View Full Version : Sparking on the 737 engine front stage

c130jbloke
17th Feb 2011, 14:15
Hi all,

I work at an airfield above the Artic circle and we use a lot of sand to keep the ramp etc free of ice.

I have noticed when 737s have their engines running, sparks / flashes around the outer part of the disc, next to the engine casing. Looks good but it got me wondering.

Is this sparking caused by sand particles being ingested into the engine when they strike the fan blades ? And as I was always under the impression that only fresh air was meant to pass through the engine, where does this fit in with FOD ingestion / damage ?

Thanks for any answers !

C130JB

Turbine D
17th Feb 2011, 15:24
c130jbloke

Your observation is correct. The fan blades are made from Titanium, Ti6-4 alloy to be exact. It is the same alloy used to make titanium golf club heads. They, too, spark when being hit from a tee that has sand accumulation or when hitting out of a sand trap, impressive at dawn or dusk!

Observing it at the fan casing is good as it means the majority of the sand particles are being flung outward and will pass through the fan by-pass instead of being ingested into the core. Over time, some erosion will result at the tips of the fan blades or in the acoustical liners along the walls of the fan casing.

Turbine D

mitzy69
18th Feb 2011, 10:35
seen sparks on fan blades in Arabia
whole inlet looks like there is a big Catherin wheel alight.
erodes the leading edge nicely.

Gulfstreamaviator
18th Feb 2011, 11:12
Please, find some sand storm, light show pics...

Glf

Turbine D
18th Feb 2011, 18:39
Gulfstreamaviator

Couldn't find any photos of sparking of the fan, but here is what I meant using the golf club example:

YouTube - Golf club sparks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO7yKaKBvQ4)

Turbine D

ShyTorque
18th Feb 2011, 19:43
A similar thing occurs on the main rotor blades on some helicopters when some types of dust/sand hit them. For example, the Sikorsky S-76, which by no coincidence, has titanium leading edge protection strips.

ion_berkley
19th Feb 2011, 04:55
A rather good link for this one, nice pics.
The Kopp-Etchells Effect (http://www.michaelyon-online.com/the-kopp-etchells-effect.htm)