PDA

View Full Version : Modern Pilot 'Lifestyles.'

Flanker
3rd May 2001, 01:37
As a current Jet Transport driver in the UK I am frustrated by the seeming inability of my company to work me in what I consider a sensible manner that benefits everyone.

I would be very grateful if I could have some feedback on roster patterns from other companies to compare with my own, to see if I am being unreasonable or simply 'a dreamer'.

Do companies like Southwest and others in the states really work guys 80hrs and still get 12 and more days off a month?And if so why can't we?

Is this a midlife crisis or are their others who want a job where they are more likely to retire normally rather than on medical grounds ten years early?

Come on make me jealous!

Flanker
3rd May 2001, 13:36
mmmmm...obviously a topic of interest!

I'll get my coat........

Iz
3rd May 2001, 23:07
People's rosters are so full they don't have time to reply. Feel better now? :)

737-NG First Officer
6th May 2001, 02:46
Flanker, you could try Terms&End.... things like this tend to get some sport in there

critcaact
6th May 2001, 09:13
Flanker,
My usual schedule will have me work from 10 to 16 days per month. Monthly bidding also allows me to tie together strings of days off (seniority allowing) from one month to the next. This will give me about 85 credit hours (pay time) per month which equates to about 70 hours hard time. I get 30 days vacation per year which can be split into two periods. If the bidding gods are smilling the beginning day and the ending day of vacation will touch a multi-day trip. These trips will be dropped. It is possible to turn 15 days vacation into, say, 23 days off. If the vacation touched a four day trip starting on say the fourth day of the month and a four day trip ending on the fourth day from the end of the month then the month is free of duty and full pay. If the vacation month were preceeded by a month where there was time off at the end of the month and succeeded by a month with days off at the beggining of the month.... well you get the idea. I would say that in an average year I'll fly about 750 hours hard time and be paid for 1100 hours credit. On any given day of work I will be guaranteed five credit hours regardless of how much hard time is flown. On any given multi-day trip one hour credit is given for every 3.5 hours away from base. Training works the same way as vacation. Training schedules are posted before bid closing for this reason. There is a very small international override and no night flying override.

Flanker
6th May 2001, 13:08
Critcaact

Thanks for your response.It is apparent that the US is miles ahead of the UK/Europe in this area.

BA is the only airline in the UK with a bid system of any note (as far as I am aware).

Most people say they are unacceptable but just seem apathetic to the schedules many of us suffer every month.Perhaps the legal limitations don't allow some options, but I really believe they could be vastly improved- to everyones benefit.

critcaact
6th May 2001, 18:43
Flanker,
Funny, I was bidding schedules at a commuter airline with 20 airplanes 20 years ago. Some bidding systems close the Captains bid the day before the F/O bid so as to allow the F/O's to bid around problematic Captains. Not only do we bid monthly schedules but we get two more opportunities to bid after the first bid is closed before our schedule is official. After this point your schedule is variable; as any extra time that becomes available durring the month can traded with.

Flanker
6th May 2001, 22:55
Thanks that is the type of info I'm looking for.

We get an average of eight days off in twenty-eight(legal min).Normally working five,six and occasionally seven on and nearly always two off,occasionally three or one( single days off do not count towards yearly total, only recently implemented).

Frequently finishing late before days off and early first day back.Increasing amounts of deep night flying and large numbers of split duties.Standby's before! and after flights.Policy of no seniority list and our 36 days leave must be taken in seven day blocks minimum with one day off either side.

Captains have been flying between seven and nine hundred hours a year,three to five sectors normally(we do have six)day flying and one or two night.Roster changes seem to be decreasing recently but when it does go wrong its quite spectacular!

I realise it's not easy while expanding but if they reallysorted this it would really be an OK job.Quite a number are going part time if they can afford it, which really says it all- people don't mind working hard but need decent time off to recover properly.
Same types as Cactus!

Roadtrip
7th May 2001, 19:40
I'm pretty junior, so I'm pulling reserve with a US major. 19 days of work, 12 off. There are various lines to bid including some with the 12 days split into two duty-free-periods (DFPs), some split into 3 DFPs. I bid the 2 DFP reserve lines becuase I commute to work and it cuts down my lost duty free time commuting. Regular line holders (vs. reserve) work anywhere from 9 days a month (very senior) all the way up to 17-19.

TWA had/has a "preferential" bid system, where you put into the computer the days and places you wanted to fly and it would crunch out schedules. Most TWA guys I've talked to liked the system.

If you don't have at least some sort of sched bidding system at your airline, you're probably being screwed.