PDA

View Full Version : One more roadshow......

flareflyer
17th Feb 2011, 11:16
Ek will be in the UK for one more road-show the last week of Feb........
I do not understand, TCAS stated that they have plenty of applicants ......
if so what is the reason of these roadshows????????:ugh:

Flare

SOPS
17th Feb 2011, 12:02
To the same places over and over again...lots of applicants??????:ugh:

MrMachfivepointfive
17th Feb 2011, 12:26
To the same places over and over again...lots of applicants??????

Logic would dictate that. Otherwise you would try a different place, or not?

Schnowzer
17th Feb 2011, 12:29
Where are the applicants going to come from? As I understand it the US, UK and European markets are picking up as economies improve and retirements start to take effect. What would be needed to attract a qualified pilot with a good job to go to the ME?

Kamelchaser
17th Feb 2011, 14:12
Lots of applicants? Sure, plenty on the books, but in about two weeks there is virtually NO-ONE in the pool with the required experience.

This is NOT rumour. It's a fact. (don't ask for the source, I would not divulge it!) Recruitment is in as much crisis as training, fleet, and just about every other department in the cmpany. Will anything be done about it before the end of the financial year?...not a hope, because of course nothing extra will be spent from individual budgets for fear of a loss of profit share for those cost centre managers who benefit most from the profit scheme.

What will probably happen is the hours requirement (or at least the specific breakdown of those hours) will change again to qualify a few more people within existing applicants.

One of the problems recruitment now have is people "in the pool" are simply not prepared to take such a lot of time of work from their existing employer (at short notice)to come all the way to Dubai for a 43% chance of passing the recruitment interview. Lots of innovative ideas being considered in recruitment to try to solve that problem. One of the many problems they have, is convincing propective FOs that staying on first year salaries for three or four years is a great idea..perhaps they need to bring back the step scheme now that the company is swimming in money.

SOPS
18th Feb 2011, 03:38
To make it make sense...I should have ended my last post (number2) by saying..."lots of applicants??? with experience???...I dont think so"

Marooned
18th Feb 2011, 07:24
There is the difference from having applicants on the books and those willing to leave a secure job during insecure times.

TCAS and EK are reaping what they've sowed and are finding it hard to sell an average airline, with a poor regard for it's pilots, to a wiser more sceptical audience...

TangoUniform
18th Feb 2011, 18:24
Uh, look one step above TCAS for the real culprit responsible for this mess.

johnnyramjet
19th Feb 2011, 06:11
Time to use the famous EK management blame card again.
Egypt Crisis, that should work. :ok:

Dirigible
19th Feb 2011, 06:54
I got an e-mail invitation to attend a road show in the UK. I wonder what I should reply. I've been at Ek 8 years now.:O

MrMachfivepointfive
19th Feb 2011, 11:57
I got an e-mail invitation to attend a road show in the UK. I wonder what I should reply. I've been at Ek 8 years now.

Isn't it obvious? Let them know you will attend if granted those days off and a duty travel ticket.

Dropp the Pilot
19th Feb 2011, 15:40
Many, many years ago before one had to run the EK/Stasi gauntlet before upgrading, one merely waited one's seniority turn until a beautiful gold-tinged letter appeared in one's mail inviting one to upgrade.

Standing by the ops center pilot mailboxes one day, a colleague standing alongside shouted "got my upgrade letter!" He ripped it open and indeed found a lovely embossed letter from the company which said "Dear xxxxx, thank-you for your interest in Emirates but we cannot offer you a position with Emirates at this time".

Not only had he been with the company 5 years at that point, the letter was mailed to him using his Emirates address. He has it framed above his bar now - nice conversation piece when the topic turns to Emirates' efficiencies.

Guru8904
19th Feb 2011, 17:42
EK can keep trying as hard as they possibly can but the outcome is going to be the same until and unless they mend their stupid ways. I am reminded of Einstein's definition of insanity:
" Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
If Einstein's was here today, he would certainly have had a great laugh.

Fack5
19th Feb 2011, 17:58
Many, many years ago ......one merely waited one's seniority turn .......Not only had he been with the company 5 years at that point

Five years for his upgrade way back then? Was he in the sin-bin??

desertflyer
20th Feb 2011, 15:00
Was with two EK First Officers today who became enraged to find out the starting pay on the company website was the same they are currently making after 18 months with the company. How's that for a gotchya!:ugh:

donpizmeov
20th Feb 2011, 16:05
Hate to say it desertflyer but those chaps would not appear to be very bright or observant. Are they on the Boeing? If they joined end of 2009, 18 months ago, they should have known that they were then going to be on the same pay then as those that joined on or after 1st April 2008. Were they enraged then for those that started 18 months before them? Or is that somehow different?
I do loose interest when new joiners start complaining about things that were already happening when they joined. There is plenty of data here and elsewhere to enable a informed decision. If they were happy with the terms and conditions when they signed on, they need to man up and accept their decision about those terms and conditions in the future.
Lets guess, they will get all upset and surprised when we get yet another pay cut, or the upgrade criteria changes again next.

The Don

harry the cod
21st Feb 2011, 14:41
Mmm, 18 months eh? Well, aren't they the lucky ones. There are probably over 1800 of us who are now on their 3rd year with the same increment.

If we don't get one this year, I will be thouroughly pissed off. :mad:

Harry

Fearless Leader
21st Feb 2011, 19:19
Lets guess, they will get all upset and surprised when we get yet another pay cut, or the upgrade criteria changes again next.

The Don
20th Feb 2011 16:00

How about you Don,

You going to be upset about another paycut, or lack of a decent bonus?
Or is it more of the same drivil from your imense wisdom of all things Emirates?

Just asking Chap!

donpizmeov
21st Feb 2011, 19:45
Too bloody right I will be disappointed Leader, but not surprised. But then again it was not the norm when I joined. Anyone who joined in the last 7 yrs knew what was happening with Airbus FOs being shafted and pay neutral pay cuts, and they still joined. If it didn't matter enough to stop them joining why should it worry them now? If they didn't care about other FOs pay being frozen for 18 months when they joined, why should they be surprised when it happens to them?

Yours drivily

The Don

desertflyer
22nd Feb 2011, 01:52
So lets see, overtime changed from 76 to 92.....Should Have Seen That Coming.
Promised leave 42, only can get 30, then 3 or 4 days if lucky......SHSTC.
Charges for housing utilities when promised free.......SHSTC.
Normal block hours increased from 75-85 to 90-100.......SHSTC.
Doctors authority for fatigue changed from 10 days to 2.........SHSTC.
Charges for National ID not paid for by company.........SHSTC.
Inability to get into clinic when sick.........SHSTC.
Ground staff secretly weighing your bag on layovers........SHSTC.
Educational allowance not increased even though school fees up 25%....SHSTC.
Provident Fund changed to only include "Basic" salary and not "Total" salary.........SHSTC.
Life-time limit on health care expense for you and your family.......SHSTC.

I guess my problem is I actually "believed" what they told me in the interview and am not as "clarevoyant" as others!:ugh:

Gillegan
22nd Feb 2011, 05:48
I guess my problem is I actually "believed" what they told me in the interview and am not as "clarevoyant" as others!

I think Don's point is that as far back as 7 years ago, (and to be honest, even further back than that) there were signs of what was to come - contractual violations, lies, doublespeak, questionable regulatory interpretations. This forum has been quite active pointing these things out for quite awhile yet many choose to turn a blind eye. Just look at some of the responses still turning up here: "same old bunch of whinging pilots", "it's the same or worse all over", " you guys don't know how good you have it". Folks are still coming back from the interviews talking about all the great stuff that is being promised. The thing is, the folks doing the promising are not charged with keeping the promises, only with getting people in the door. I've been here a long time (since before the advent of this forum) and this company has always done what they thought they could get away with. As the stakes have gotten higher, and as some of the more ruthless people taken control, the depths that they will go to have only sunken lower. It is written about here in great detail (along with a lot of crap I have to admit), yet still they come. Is there really any doubt that nothing is going to change substantially?

If you've joined in the last few years, it was all there for you to see. The internet is a wonderful thing. Clairvoyance wasn't required, just some due diligence. As far as what they are likely to do in the future, I couldn't tell you but the evidence of what they are capable of is substantial.

The planes are big and shiny though.

donpizmeov
22nd Feb 2011, 09:24
desertflyer,

I will give you the DEWA and health care expense one (thoughts of Romans and aquaducts?), as I don't know what that one means. However all the others have been an issue here for the past decade if not longer.
Pension has always been calculated on basis pay, the flight pay thing was only introduced to hide some of the pay cut we got in 2003. 2003 is also when they played with the overtime, and hours flown (factoring etc), and we stopped being paid min block times of 3.5hrs, and for RSV etc etc.
Egate cards were issued free of charge for a few years, then we had to pay for renewals, now its just extended until they work out this ID card thing, so no change there.
Clinic was impossible to get into in the old white building, and never improved once they moved to the new place.
Ground staff do weigh your bags now, but they also report you for taking photos...remember that one? No change there.
School fees have always been a issue for at least a decade. 2002 to 2007 saw huge leaps in fees and very little increase in allowance.
Leave shortages started not long after they reduced the max limit from 28days to 21 days in a row. 2003ish? We were told then it was a temporary measure.

Now I don't agree with what the company has done, nor do I want to see things further decline. But this information has been freely available in a number of different sites for a very long time. But still you will see people ask to hear just the positive things about EK and Dubai as they are about to decide on taking the job or not. Normally its not long after they join that we then read that they are "enraged" at seeing that their basic salary is the same as those joining some 18 months later. Go figure!:cool:

Sorry about the drival Leader.

The Don

PS. And he is right, they are all big and shiny. :E

three eighty
22nd Feb 2011, 09:42
And he is right, they are all big and shiny

You done a walk around lately? Big - yes
Shiny - no

Fearless Leader
22nd Feb 2011, 11:35
Sorry about the drival Leader

Not need, I can't argue against what you just said.

Unfortunatuly all true.

FL

M-rat
22nd Feb 2011, 12:33
Why aren't there any roadshows in the announced (today's papers) world's top cities to live in?

... three of the top 10 are in Canada: YVR, YYC, and YYZ...

...EK has services to 5 of the bottom 10...

I do not feel sorry for the folks who have arrived here with cognitive blinders firmly in place and are now shocked with the treatment received. It's been bloody well described in these forums!

They just keep re-arranging the facts to suit their own conclusions. If CRM facilitators need an abject lesson in confirmation bias they need not look too far or hard.

As to the fatigue issue - I would like a major airing of the 'guidance' the doctors are receiving from 'management' in the recording of this data. It of course reduces the number of days reportable as attributed to fatigue, thereby making a mockery of gathered statistics.

I quote the emminent and respected, late, great Carl Sagan: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Further, the fatigue committee is made up of only managers... Talk about conflict of interest!

Those considering employment need to be pretty careful in their analysis...

I just learned of a colleague who has left to fly for Turkish Airlines for gosh sakes! That's how bad it is here - even living in IST without his family (domiciled abroad...) is prefereable to living and working here. Why? This is surely an important question...

littlejet
22nd Feb 2011, 15:25
what is wrong with THY? Isn't that a commuting contract, and close to 15K?