PDA

View Full Version : tax and work related relocating fees

WFDUP
16th Feb 2011, 22:23
Just getting a few things together for tax time, and am wondering can you claim for your relocating fee thru your tax somehow.. Seems we were only relocating because of the job, hence work related

Does anyone know, or have they claimed it before? :confused:
/

Peter Fanelli
17th Feb 2011, 01:41
Maybe you'd do better to ask a tax professional.

Di_Vosh
17th Feb 2011, 02:05
What Peter said :ok:

404 Titan
17th Feb 2011, 02:09
WFDUP

I suggest you get profession advice but as a general rule if your current employer requires you to move and you aren’t reimbursed by your employer then yes it is deductable. If the expense is incurred in the process of gaining new employment then no.

Victory
17th Feb 2011, 02:57
Please bear in mind tax laws change all the time. As far as I am aware removal and relocation expenses is not an allowable deduction either when transferring or taking up new appointments. Hope this helps.

RENURPP
17th Feb 2011, 04:48
As every one said, ask a tax pro.

On the subject though, you CAN salary sacrifice relocation if your already employed so I would be surprised if it wasn't tax deductible, it's effectively the same thing.

404 Titan
17th Feb 2011, 06:42
Victory

If it is a requirement of your employer to transfer to a new base it is. An example is where an employer closes a base forcing you to transfer but doesn’t pay for the transfer costs. Other than that you are correct, it isn’t deductable.