PDA

View Full Version : How old is too old?

SuperGuppy
2nd May 2001, 11:19
Hi there,

How old would someone have to be to be too old to start a flying career? Obviously there is no real limit to a persons age wrt ratings etc but at what age does a new ATPL become unemployable?

Personally I'm of the opinion that this point would be reached in the early 30's but I'm sure someone out there will disagree.

Iz
2nd May 2001, 15:40
Depends on your geographic location! I think the max age is sooner reached in Europe than in the US. Due to different flying cultures I think. In Europe, it's not uncommon to see a 20-year old 200-hour pilot become FO with a major, in the US it's much more self-improver type piloting that's going on.

skywatcher
2nd May 2001, 21:46
I suppose it depends on supply and demand. However I know of someone how has just got a job with an airline at 50. He got himself through the ATPL stuff and went for it. He was a Flying Instructor at a local club before that. This should be insperation for the older chaps. If you want it bad, you'll make it happen.

Mr Magoo
4th May 2001, 00:14
Well I'm 38 and got my frozen ATPL last week. The first set of CVs went out monday and I got my first PFO letter back today!

I do expect to get a flying job - when though is anyones guess!!

411A
4th May 2001, 07:43
Have always wondered, what prey tell is a "frozen" ATPL? We don't have them in the USA. You either have an ATPL or you don't.

Jim lovell
4th May 2001, 11:05
411A a frozen ATPL is simply when you have a CPL/Multi IFR and have passed all ATPL theory examinations. It doesn't matter how many hours you got- you can have a frozen ATPL with 200 hours but it doesn't become a "full ATPL" until you reach 1500 hrs TT.