PDA

View Full Version : Bali - DIY or Package.

nomorecatering
16th Feb 2011, 09:30
Been a coupla of thousand hrs since my last holiday, so I thought of a bit
of vacation in May, boss says I have to much leave accrued. So me thinks some sun n sand might be the go, just a week nothing to flash. Off to the travel agent I go, look in the window.

7 nights for $700, airfare included the sign says. Ask the chappy about the deal and wheits all done its $2,100 thank you very much. Has me back pedlling like a minister just after an election (was that a core promise or non core promise).

So..................can i do it better than the travel agent id i ferret around the nternet and bok air tickets n hotel direct. Or is the $700 deal (for a measly 2100) the better way to go the the agent.

I hear East west Local is in the biz, and a bit of a gun. No idea how to find him though.

Hmm will be nice to sit in a plane with a beer and not have to think about driving it.

Advice anyone?

VH-XXX
16th Feb 2011, 10:11
Try www. bestflights .com .au

MikeTangoEcho
16th Feb 2011, 11:40
Not sure where you'd be flying out from, but I'm in Perth and if ya have a look airasia they usually have good deals on most of the time, budget airline and all but good for the price in my experience.. Usually can get the same price for a hotel that an agent would if you were booking directly with the hotel on the net.. Most take USD but thats not a problem at the moment.

If you're over east then I guess garuda or jetstar might be your best bet.

Wife and I are goin in just over 2 weeks and we booked it direct ourselves. Gonna cost about $2k for flights and 10 nights at the rani, plus spending money.

VH-XXX
16th Feb 2011, 11:48
The other option is Phuket, Thailand, somewhat similar to Bali, slightly more expensive and I would argue better scenery. Serviced by VAustralia 777 or Strategic on the east coast from $380 each way and accom from $60 a night or less. Taxis are cheap and food pretty good.

Check Lonely planet website for weather, I know in Phuket many trips and tourism shuts down before May due weather so might be pretty quiet.

RENURPP
16th Feb 2011, 19:05
Air Asia is the way to go if possible, but I would consider another destination, Bali the toilet bowl of Asia :yuk::yuk:
If you have ever been there you would know what I mean, for the life of me I cannot see the fascination in that place.

You can get to Thailand for not much more. I saw a notice in the crew room yesterday for 7 nights in Phuket for $99, the catch was you had to spend 90 mins at a presentation, I suspect a time share thing. Bit of a pain but sit listen and say thanks but no thanks after the presentation then get on with you holiday. I suspect,, don't know, the accommodation would be ok as they are trying o sell it o you.. No point putting you p in a dump and then putting pressure on you about time share.

Otherwise agoda . Com. I find then very good.

baron_beeza
16th Feb 2011, 19:27
I was last in Bali in November, I try and avoid the place and often transit via Singapore in preference. I am in Jakarta 2 or 3 times each year.

From Singapore to many ports can be had on the day for $30. I have had $5 flights (plus taxes).

From Darwin the hotspot at present is Vietnam, flights are a fraction the Bali price and the country is easier to travel about, the Dollar goes much further and the beaches are just as good as anywhere. Check out Jetstar or Air Asia prices from Darwin, Perth etc.

I never pre-book hotels.. they are chasing my custom, - I choose when I get wherever, and on the day.

Same with airfares, on the day travel is fine. Buses within Vietnam are about $6 per day and are Air Cond coaches.(Orange and Green buses),. Hotels are about $15 per night on average. A meal, with beers, $5.

Nha Trang would be the Vietnamese equivalent of Bali, it is nowhere as tacky, yet... Hotels are easy to find and cheap, I had a $8 room recently. There are quieter beaches, in fact the beach runs half the length of the country.

Forget Bali unless you like spending hour upon hour with a crowd acting like their UK soccer team just won their first game of the season. Culture... NOT.

I like Indonesia, I don't travel to see a bunch of foul mouthed drunken louts...
just me..

Massey058
16th Feb 2011, 19:30
In nearly 3 years of living in Indo I've only been to Bali once soon to be twice. It is a cesspit if you are talking about Kuta, where dare I say it there are too many Aussies (and locals trying on Aussies accents and trying to pull you into shops. Got quite the shock when I spoke to them in Indonesian and told them I wan't Australian but from Eastern Indonesia).

There are plenty of other places to go in Bali outside of Kuta that can be far more enjoyable. Suzuki Jimny type things are cheap to rent and there are air-conditioned shuttle services plying routes across the island.

I haven't been to Phuket but have been to Koh Samui which I didn't think was all that great and mostly I've been told Phuket is a bit of a dump and a lot like Kuta. But at least Thailand understands tourism and things are a bit easier to do there. In Bali, even though it is Indonesia's premier tourist destination it is still a trial organising things for yourself. That said at this time of the year you can DIY on the cheap easily enough.

Booking.com is good, although usually slightly more expensive than Agoda, the advantage being it's only a reservation and you don't pay up front. Hotels.com is also a good site. Perama Travel & Tour (http://www.peramatour.com/) is the main shuttle company. Didn't use them last time but will probably use them on this trip.

RENURPP
17th Feb 2011, 00:25
Love Across Borders (http://www.airasia.com/nl/nl110214kruw_au.htm)
The island of Bali is a cesspit, Kuta being the worst of it.

Phuket is similar to Bali but about 3 stars better.
Patong beach is the Kuta of Phuket, head north 15 minutes and your in paradise. The food is 100% better, the beaches aren't littered with blind mullet, the people are at least as welcoming overall I would say cheaper and definitely on the safer side.

Anyway, I'm not here as an ambassador for Thailand, just to offer ideas, the above link offers some good deals from most parts of Australia.
I agree with the Vietnam comments as well, a good holiday to be had.

Metro man
17th Feb 2011, 11:29
Don't forget Indonesia requires a visa for Australian citizens, issued on arrival but costing around A$50 for single entry. :ugh:

Thailand is visa free for most nationalities. Phuket caters to everyone from backpackers to own jet/yacht. There are luxury resorts and $20 night rooms with everything in between. Try Kata beach if you want to get away from the action in Patong or go across the bay to Krabi which is much less developed.

Food is much better quality and cheaper in places catering to locals rather than tourists (as expected). I had some memorable meals in places with plastic tables and chairs, cooked by local women with only a few words of English.

If shopping in the markets, bargain as the initial foreigner price you will be quoted is around double the going rate.:E