PDA

View Full Version : vale hans-joerg "george" stoeckl

mach 84
15th Feb 2011, 14:54
came across some austrian aviation news stating that he passed away early february at the age of 71.

he was the fleet-manager for lauda-air 767 from 88 to 96, not undisputed at all,
a lot of the 89er's were flying in lauda air during this time, so i think this forum
is the right place to announce his final departure.

Austrian Aviation Net: Montana-Gründer Stöckl verstorben (http://austrianaviation.net/de/news-regional/news-detail/datum/2011/02/11/montana-gruender-stoeckl-verstorben.html)

nixisfix
25th Feb 2011, 22:09
Joerg Stoeckl is known in Austria for starting Montana-Austria, introducing the "cheap" exotic destination holidays to Joe Public.
I was lucky enough to be hired by him straight from school as a Flight Engineer on the B707 and I was with the company until the end in 81, my best years in aviation. Every time I went to work something unexpected turned into a small adventure as we operated on a shoe-string into (at the time) very exotic places.
Joerg ran his company his way and one really had only a choice of running with him or leave and I am quite sure that CRM was a concept he abhorred BUT he managed his pilots effectively and in the most difficult circumstances.

While he was not the easiest boss to work for, he could be extremely generous and was a living database for everything connected to his beloved company or anything about flying the "big jets". Whatever I really needed later in my aviation career, I learned by watching him and the other guys in the front row, good and bad stuff. For that I will always be grateful to the man, who trusted me with a "dream-come-true" job when I needed it most. Farewell.

Peter C.