PDA

View Full Version : Middle East Unrest !!!

flightknight
15th Feb 2011, 13:46
Has any of you expats been affected by the recent unrest in the middle east and do you see a future for us expats regarding stability and security for our families staying in the middle east.

Landflap
15th Feb 2011, 14:30
Way back in '78, my Dad was extremely prosperous & wealthy inTehran. I expressed concern at developments which he dismissed as a "few little skirmishes in the Villages" ! The rest is history. The Captain of the RAF Hercules which airlifted him & others out of there broke the icey silence after an hour or so by saying, something like.."Ladies & Gentlemen, we have just crossed the Iranian Border. If you would like to reset your watches, wind them BACK about 2000 years.

I wish nothing but prosperity but mainly, safety to all my friends & colleagues who have decided to remain in the Middle East. I fear for those who are unable to find safer havens. The wake up call has just gone off.

Captain Dart
16th Feb 2011, 02:40
I think what the Captain really meant to say was...

slowjet
16th Feb 2011, 10:47
You remind me of the Captain of the Titanic who turned to his First Officer and said; "What f.....g iceberg ?" !!

golfwidower
16th Feb 2011, 18:49
Don't worry, they've closed the causeway

imr
17th Feb 2011, 03:40
Very interesting regarding the causeway closure.

Back in the mid/late '90s when there was a spurt of unrest in Bahrain the Saudis basically told their brotherly neighbors 'get it under control of we will.' (need to look up my source for the precise details)

In light of the violence of the past few hours I'm sure Riyadh has issued a similar decree.

confusedcanuck
17th Feb 2011, 06:32
From what I hear protesters are mostly disgruntled Gulf Air Pilots and Cabin Crew, police and army sent in at SMs request. :p

non0
17th Feb 2011, 08:26
Getting really ugly there

What are the chances of this protest to get Saudia, Qatar and UAE?

Jet II
17th Feb 2011, 09:07
What are the chances of this protest to get Saudia, Qatar and UAE?

Well as regards the UAE - I'm not sure the locals are that energetic.... :ouch:

sirwa69
17th Feb 2011, 10:19
Time to raise the Amwaj drawbridge :p
Mind you we might need to let it down on Saturday to let the booze delivery trucks in :E Hic!

sirwa69
17th Feb 2011, 10:24
What's pissing me off is all these western journalists who in their desperate attempt to link this to Cairo are calling it Pearl Square.

It's Pearl (or Lulu) Roundabout not a f@#king square.

:mad::mad::mad:

Farrell
17th Feb 2011, 10:34
No worries here.

Piss up and brewery spring to mind!

OMDB-PiLoT
17th Feb 2011, 10:35
Locals in UAE have it all on silver platter! They don't need any revolution here. But ya, if the remaining non-local 80% population come out, there's going to be a LOT of chaos for sure. Imagine democracy in UAE - a South Indian as your president with Pakistani ministers in the parliament. Filipinos will still be at cashiers though. :}

Farrell
17th Feb 2011, 10:38
Filipinos will still be at cashiers though

Ah yes! The Bakala Brigade!

"Hello Sirrrrrrrrrrr. I'm sorrrrrrry sirrrrrrrrrrr."

OMDB-PiLoT
17th Feb 2011, 10:41
Ah yes! The Bakala Brigade!

"Hello Sirrrrrrrrrrr. I'm sorrrrrrry sirrrrrrrrrrr."

"That will be Phipe Dirhams and Phipty Phils Maam"

Farrell
17th Feb 2011, 10:45
You have to pity them! - 1200 a month

The DXB crowd seem to have it slightly better than here in MCT.

flightknight
18th Feb 2011, 04:01
Just heared that the protests are spreading across the bridge from Bahrain..is it true ?

ManaAdaSystem
18th Feb 2011, 21:17
Shooting at people with machine guns from helicopters... Put to rest, yes, you could call it that.

I never thought the people of Bahrain would start to demonstrate. Even the women are out in the streets shouting: Down with Khalifa!
Now, I will not be surprised if the same happens in Qatar, UAE and Oman.

Loads will certainly not increase because of this. Close your eyes if you want to, but this could turn ugly very fast.

Mr.Bloggs
18th Feb 2011, 21:24
It is not about to die down. Forget "loads", the problem is how this affects the West, which will impact directly on the oil-producers/oil beneficiaries.

IMHO I fear the unfolding drama is not good news for most in the short-term. But maybe, just maybe, the future will be brighter with some form of freedom for the Arabs. As for the Gulf States airlines, it is unlikely that their growth projections will be realised. EK, EY, QR are built on "bubbles", which is hardly a new thing in economic history.

Gulfstreamaviator
19th Feb 2011, 02:15
BBC, CNN showing U tube videos of killing of peaceful protestors in Bahrain.

glf

loc22550
19th Feb 2011, 03:51
I guess peaceful people who demonstrate for more justice,democracy in this part of he world It's considered as a security threat...:uhoh:
I'm afraid that the authorities by acting like that have just put oil on fire...

flightknight
19th Feb 2011, 13:55
Protests have already started in
kuwait.

Apache702
20th Feb 2011, 03:36
The Pilot Network | Connecting the Aviation People (http://www.thepilotnetwork.com/)

Apache702
20th Feb 2011, 03:42
Place your vote

Bahrain Uprising (http://www.thepilotnetwork.com/board/index.php/topic,10.0.html)

flightknight
20th Feb 2011, 15:08
Dubai unrest ?

nolimitholdem
20th Feb 2011, 16:52
Unrest?! What unrest? No, everything's fine. Really.

http://i56.tinypic.com/ao2jo6.jpg

White Knight
21st Feb 2011, 03:41
There's a good reason that land in Barsha is given away for building on. And jobs in banks for the boys. I still don't see Dubai or UAE in that Al Jazeera pic there NLH. It does make interesting reading though:ok:

Why would you protest when you can afford a Ferrari at age 20:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Marooned
21st Feb 2011, 04:12
Only that the 20 year old in the Ferrari is probably a Sunni. In Egypt we witnessed the masses more or less united against a common foe. In Bahrain it is the inequalities between Sunni and Shia which ignited the flame.

I don't believe there is enough kindling here to cause a flame but there still discrimination between the two.

White Knight
21st Feb 2011, 04:18
Indeed. The ruling families here are Sunni as are the majority of Emiratis, so not likely to be an issue as you rightly point out.
Any aggro is likely to come from 'foriegn workers' who will just be booted out!

repapips
21st Feb 2011, 06:02
OMDB-PiLoT Locals in UAE have it all on silver platter! They don't need any revolution here. But ya, if the remaining non-local 80% population come out, there's going to be a LOT of chaos for sure. Imagine democracy in UAE - a South Indian as your president with Pakistani ministers in the parliament. Filipinos will still be at cashiers though.

OMDB-PiLoT, I'm sure you're not an Indian, nor a Pakistani, nor a Filipino let alone an Emirati, but wherever you come from i suggest that you go back there. Your racist remarks don't have a place here!
I'm sure these Asians are more intelligent than you could ever be! You're just lucky you have white skin or a passport worshipped by Arabs. If these Asians had the same and you all stood before an interview panel, I'm sure you'll be the first to be sent home!
That goes to you too, Farrell! :yuk:

Marooned
21st Feb 2011, 06:19
Contacted; The oil wealth that is controlled by AUH is theirs, under their soil. Dubai gets to control what wealth it gets from it's much smaller oil and gas reserves.

The UAE is a federation with the central government in Abu Dhabi but with each emirate having independence in their internal affairs and control of their assets.

non0
21st Feb 2011, 09:59
I think that a popular revolution is unlikely.
The UAE governments are savvy enough to recognise which way the wind is blowing and political evolution will occur. It is already happening in a incremental way: gulfnews : Members applaud gradual changes in poll process (http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/government/members-applaud-gradual-changes-in-poll-process-1.764171)
I wouldn't be surprised if there is much debate going on amongst the Emiratis.
Freedom of political discussion on TV, Radio and newspapers would help a lot.

@contacted
it looks like you have a positive grasp on UAE, if you know, can you say the same for Qatar?

superspotter
21st Feb 2011, 12:15
Dubai has tried to build an economy independant of Oil Revenue (ie. not in Abu Dhabis pocket)
Despite obvious mistakes, has been quite successful.

LMAO!!
Quite successful in that it had to turn to Abu to bail it out?? Yes, quite successful :D

PIPE RIDER
21st Feb 2011, 12:25
Qatar... well recently I heard the following:

1-Qataris think Democracy is for poor people
2-To protest do you need to get out of the Land Cruiser?
3-Can the protest area be Shaded with A/C and Shisha?
4-How much should we pay to every Indian who will protest in our behalf?
5-Can we have the protest between 9 pm and midnight?
6-any gifts or prize for those who attend?

if protest are a success and democracy comes can we have the world cup earlier than 2022??

non0
21st Feb 2011, 13:59
@contacted, thanks ... so according to what you know it looks like all the expats are pretty safe in the QR arena!

Qatar... well recently I heard the following:

if protest are a success and democracy comes can we have the world cup earlier than 2022??

those characteristics in addition to a freakishly big belly, the smart-phone head set in their right ear while drinking a spice-latte at Starbucks are actually a very good sign of democracy!

Alessandra
21st Feb 2011, 14:27
haha. the same in Oman.
there was a demonstration the other day, totally pathetic. according to local newspaper> "as many as 300 citizens have gathered and walked ALMOST 200m carrying signs "we love you sultan, but give us more well paid jobs"
needless to say i ALMOST pissed myself laughing when reading it...

ByeByeDubai
21st Feb 2011, 17:47
The unrest will spread to many countries. It is inevitable. Only the timelines are in question.

Our economy is based on depletion of resources not their protection. Our monetary system is based on debt. Profit is maximised at the expense of other humans. The most successful managers are those who are in fact mentally deficient. The best lack the empathy prevalent in most human beings, thereby making them the most efficient at maximising profit as the consequences to others are transparent and irrelevant to this missing function of their abnormal brains.

See:

YouTube - ZEITGEIST: MOVING FORWARD | OFFICIAL RELEASE | 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9WVZddH9w)

The world revolution begins. It will be bloody. This is only the beginning. Greed and gross inequality will force millions into the streets in countries all over the globe. Those addicted to power and money will not give it away without considerable bloodshed.

Wannabe Flyer
22nd Feb 2011, 03:45
These Arabs should have taken lessons from the Chinese on how to suppress these damn infidels asking for political freedom...........:mad::mad::mad:....How stupid are they......:ok: All is not lost they can outsource to the Chinese still.........HU is listening. :}

Pitch Up Authority
22nd Feb 2011, 03:58
The Chinese are having the biggest problem in the world right now.

Although the economy is booming many Chinese are hungry and want to have a piece of the cake.

Before there was nothing to linger for, today there is.

Tension is the result of the gap between the have not and the have it all ad it a challenge to keep the balance right.

Gulfstreamaviator
22nd Feb 2011, 03:58
With the down turn, the Indians, who populated the building sites, have been reducing in numbers, and the Chinese slowly taking over.

Does any one have statistics to show the number of Chinese workers, and Chinese firms in UAE.

Glf

Boeingrestricted
22nd Feb 2011, 03:59
Byebyedubai,:

don't expect understanding/comprehension of what you can see
and others don't. If your mission is to enlighten, use confucius.
" If the student is thirsty just givem only a half glass of water ". If he is still
thirsty givem the remainder.
I made/make the same mistakes.

The thing is that nobody wants to disembark the pink orient express and you understand that I am with you.

Sometimes I think maybe its for the best, but it isn't. The result will be in the benefit for only a few. And it goes as far as against all of humanity without nationality. Check it out.

Nothing that you can do about it with the ignorant and complacent sheep around you.

The numbers will be horrific......

What To Do

xerox25
22nd Feb 2011, 04:28

Hahahahahaahhahahahah !!!!!!!! :ok:

ByeByeDubai
22nd Feb 2011, 17:57
BeeBop

Hit a nerve? What is your agenda I wonder.

jack schidt
22nd Feb 2011, 18:04
I hear that the next massive unrest from the poorly paid workforce of a Middle East nation that is treated by the mindless rule from above will be in the UAE post the EK profit share announcement! :E

moggiee
23rd Feb 2011, 20:46
I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned but I do see differences between the states that are experiencing unrest and those that are not (e.g. Qatar and UAE). The common threads in those countries with disturbances are that there is often a religious divide and/or a deal of financial inequality. Oppressive presidential dicatorship hasn't helped.

Bahrain seems to have most of these issues - a Shi'a majority ruled by a Sunni minority that seems to keep the best of everything for themselves (jobs, money, status). Yemen, Libya, Egypt, Tunisia all have/had presidential systems that were so corrupt that they would have been laughable if they weren't so saddening - when added to endemic corruption and inequality the result is inevitable.

Qatar and the UAE seem to be in a better position in many respects. The money is shared out much more evenly and the religious make up of the majority of the population matches that of the rulers - approximately 80% Sunni in both cases, coupled with a greater degree of religious freedom (e.g. Christian churches and the like are permitted and their rights enshrined in the constitution). The media here in the UAE are also freely reporting the events in other countries - unlike the attempts by Libya and the like to suppress comment, a pointless exercise in these days of the internet.

Ghaddafi is on the skids - it's just a matter of time before he goes the way of the others and his "end" may be more like that of Nicolae Ceaucescu than that of Hosni Mubarak. Saleh in yemen really ought to be packing his bags and nipping off to China or South America before he finds himself backed into a corner from which there is no escape.

However, I would be very surprised indeed if Qatar and the UAE were to experience the same degree of unrest. Although the earlier post about Qatar "protests" was made with tongue in cheek, it actually sums up the situation rather well. OK, so there's no real democracy here but Qataris and Emiratis have got such a good deal in life that there is nothing to be gained from making a fuss - quite the reverse in fact. On the other hand, a Bahraini Shi'ite may well feel that he has nothing to lose, especially when in the company of a good number of his subjugated compatriots.

In short, I'm not expecting to be leaving the country any time soon.

I may be reading this all wrong but I can't see what the average Qatari or Emirati would have to gain, in fact I can only see them losing out. The story in Yemen, Libya, Egypt and Bahrain is quite different.

troff
24th Feb 2011, 04:49
There goes next year's bonus....

fliion
24th Feb 2011, 16:19
On a related note...what are the chances of the aspiring newbies from stable countries in N.America & EU convincing their relatively cocooned wives and kids to leave stability and come to the 'paradise' that is the M/East....and what about the mother in law..ye gads

Sweetening of the pot perhaps...?

Sigh, I suspect something different...."oil prices, loss os revenue, unstable outlook,...have had an adverse affect on earnings..."

Talk about timing....again!

; >

f.

priapism
25th Feb 2011, 04:36
The whole ****e hole will implode sooner or later

ByeByeDubai
27th Feb 2011, 12:00
It appears the unrest is spreading. 2 protesters now killed in Oman. A rather extreme response for what seemed to be a relatively small number of protesters

Farrell
27th Feb 2011, 16:28
A rather extreme response for what seemed to be a relatively small number of protesters

They were armed with petrol bombs and heading towards the police station.

Loss of life is indeed regrettable.

BlueSkye
27th Feb 2011, 16:31
They were armed with petrol bombs and heading towards the police station

Back in my days that would almost certainly get you shot in the head.

ByeByeDubai
28th Feb 2011, 18:59
Agreed. These pillars of righteousness that the US, and other western nations profess to stand on, are little more than a distraction to their citizens while they conduct the most outrageous fraud and profiteering.

Wall Street and the US government have conducted the biggest robbery in history plunging their own people and millions of others into financial distress and appear to have got away with it! Robbery on a scale that would make Gaddafi, Mubarak and Mugabe blush.

Now the writing is on the wall for Gaddafi the Western Governments swoop in with proclamations of support and help. They have no interest in the well-being of the Libyans or any other Arabs for that matter. In fact the whole population could get massacred - provided it suited their oil interests they would hardly notice.

There is no Democracy today, any more than there is capitalism. Only politicians and banksters conspiring to get richer. When their own populations turn on them, it will be a pleasure to watch.

ByeByeDubai
28th Feb 2011, 19:20
Good question. Best guess is somewhere that has resources and the population understand the principles of democracy.

Ultimately I believe the pendulum will swing. Populations will wrestle back their say but the population has to know what it wants to replace the current rot. Kicking out the con-men is of little use unless their is a viable and credible option.

Likewise the country has to bring more to the party than paper shares and financial instruments as these are all likely to be committed to the archives of history. Mining, agriculture, manufacturing or useful services are what will be needed. They alway have been

TangoUniform
28th Feb 2011, 22:31
Sittingidly,
If you want to comment on the US, you should know that the Federal Government in the US has never been a democracy. It is a Republic. A true democracy is three wolves and one lamb voting on what's for dinner. That said, it is true that so much in the US now is run by the Golden Rule. He who has the gold....rules. Term limits? Might be the only way to go.

jack schidt
1st Mar 2011, 08:56
For those thinking about bringing their families to the ME as a reason to come just for a job THINK AGAIN! Oman a relatively quiet neighbour to the UAE is starting to see increasing uprising and discontent with its leaders. Unrest in the Arab world appears to be an expanding problem with the likes of Saudi Arabia on the cards in the future! Kuwait, Bharain, Oman have all had pockets of unrest from the few groups who dare brave to challenge dictatorships.

What is it the people are uprising against? Leaders who use thier abuse their position by creaming off cash from the state to purchase their own lavish lifestyle mansions overseas, have luxury airliners and yacths etc etc... Then and MOST OF ALL, the said ruler/dictators like in Libya and Egypt try to keep the happy times in their family by promoting the idea that thier next of kin is the next best person to rule a country as opposed to having the best elected person to fulfill the position. I can see that the sons of dictators aren't always the next best person to rule a country...ie N Korea...Libya!!

So does the above structure not fall into most of the Middle East (probably all) countries and associated .....doms?

I think there is more of this to come and what is worse Iran has had its uprising in the past and is not in a state of all its people being in favour of the regime.

Gulf wars 1 and 2 were a concern as is Afghanistan, the thing is, they were isolated to those countries alone.....this wave of peoples un-rest seems to be a concern and can not be counted out anywhere in the Middle East under current conditions!

If I was thinking about applying to a ME carrier and taking my family there in these uncertain times...I would seriously have to know that there is no other employment for me outside of the ME.

Good Luck and remember, times are hard in the ME even when things are good, this now adds a WHOLE NEW MEANING as to why to choose to go to the ME with a family just for employment! Don't just think about your career, think 90% of the choice to come to the ME is it really going to benefit your whole family, currently I would say not?

K9
1st Mar 2011, 21:02
Moving to the Middle East right now?

Shouldn't the psych department have something to say about their penchant for risk? Or reality for that matter.

Well at least there is no shortage of sand to bury one's head in.

Boeingrestricted
2nd Mar 2011, 00:54
Understanding is one and accepting it gives you a head start.

As your gut feeling told you, it is all about the bankers like in history.

In fact what we are witnessing is not related to the ME only!! we are seeing the eruption to manifest here(ME) because the pressure (already high since decades)on the people in the ME has reached the boiling point earlier than in the rest of the world.....

What we are witnessing is a further enslavement of humanity which normally comes with pains and rejections.

Therefore I would rather say that it is more globally and it is affecting all of us.WITHOUT NATIONALITY...but

Slowly but steadily we will lose all of our human rights, once accepted means no turning back. Western world will not react instantly. We did on a low level with austerity measures (UK, Greece, France etc.)

The fury which will be instigated by the rising cost of living in the west(because of rising fuel prices) will be channeled in to another but more devastating war. Welcome to WWIII. Another engineered war by the 'globalists'....After this one we WILL be chipped...like animals.....

nolimitholdem
2nd Mar 2011, 02:36
http://i54.tinypic.com/33cm0t0.jpg

PacWest
2nd Mar 2011, 05:00
The only suggestion so far seems to be from a Brit author musing on and on about mustard gas, etc.

The only head of government suggesting NFZ, troops on the ground and more warlike bombast is the P.M. of Britain, David Cameron.

Seems Mr. Cameron received his comeuppance from other heads of state and today backed off his typical rhetoric --- ruling the waves and all that.

'sitting' read the whole article then your opinion of 'some' governments yadding on about WMD just may be enlightened?
`
Libya: David Cameron in retreat - no support for pledge of action - even from rebels | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361979/Libya-David-Cameron-retreat--support-pledge-action--rebels.html)

2000GT
2nd Mar 2011, 05:11
Nolimitholdem, maybe do some research before you pooh-pooh some obvious things going on in the world. Its all about the Benjamins, follow the money, it is as simple as that.

Who owns what, who stands to gain from this or that? The USA middle class is being sucked dry. Billions of public funds to private international investment bankers who caused the problems to start with. Where is the return to the regular guy? That money is gone! Never waste a good crisis.

Yes, the US government has been bought and sold and I fear it is too late to return back to the essence of the country. I have no desire to return there soon. There is a background of anger there among the citizens that may rival the Middle East countries' malcontents if things don't improve. The people do have power as we are seeing lately and when it is ignored and disrespected, frustration will be expressed. As in nature, inequities tend to equalize over time.

As far as the employment situation in the UAE, there seems to be an exodus with few new takers willing to roll the dice.

nolimitholdem
2nd Mar 2011, 06:26
So I take it then, that you are in agreement with "WWIII" being around the corner and likewise, microchips about to be implanted in each of us?

Roger that.

There is enough legitimate stupidity in the ME without veering off into the lunatic lane.

Boeingrestricted
2nd Mar 2011, 07:26
Nolimitholdem,

you can use the tin foil......

2000GT
2nd Mar 2011, 13:05
Plenty of sand out here for ostriches' heads. To be doubly sure nolimitholdem, cup your ears with both hands and loudly say NANANANA, ad infinitum. That way you can stay comfortably numb.

Reread my post and tell me again where I ever mentioned microchips and WWIII. I didn't.

I will say it again....FOLLOW THE EFFEN MONEY!!!

flightknight
2nd Mar 2011, 14:35
It is still worth flying in the ME if you're single. It would be foolish to ship the family to the ME at this time. Some of the guys are already making plans to transfer their families out of the ME. Makes good sense in the long term, since instablity can occur in a matter of hours and days and you just can't plan everything in life on a wing and a prayer.

moggiee
2nd Mar 2011, 17:10
We survived the IRA so we'll take our chances here for a while!

FlyingCroc
2nd Mar 2011, 17:45
Interesting discussion, refreshing thoughts from sittingidly and bye Dubai. But you are right guys. And yes, the whole World will change soon, the banksters have defrauded us and the results are clear. The US is bankrupt and it won't take long before unrest starts there, but beware the masses there are armed and dangerous.
Libya: The people are not as stupid as Gadaffi and his clan thinks, it is game over for him in a couple of days. Now the globalists start the old lies of WMD (remember the lies in Iraq) in order to take over Libyan oil, but the Libyan people will not stand for this, no intervention.
The US is using air power since years in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen etc to kill Al Qeada, killing Hundreds of civilians, collateral damage as they say, but no better than Gaddaffi.
The time of change has come for the Arab nations, monarchies are on the way out, it is only a matter of time. Why would king Saud invest suddendly 36 Billion $, it will not stop the change.
Libya, Yemen, next Bahrain, Algeria, Morocco and finally Saudi Arabia, not a matter of if but rather when.
I hope you guys did invest wisely, Gold, Silver, real estate (hopefully not in the Middle east) to prepare for the collapse to come.
But dream on nowitholdem with your stupid hats, guess you will learn a lesson soon, just like that clown Monty77 that claims nobody was killed by the military in Bahrain. Happy Shopping :E

nolimitholdem
3rd Mar 2011, 02:16
This has to be one of the stranger and more incoherent threads on the ME forum, with topics careening wildly from the current civil and political unrest, to the predictable bashing of the banking establishment, to getting microchipped, apocalyptic mutterings of the next world war, IRA terrorists, the Irish potato famine, and a rant about the diction of Brits...? Did I miss anything?

Yet I am accused of "putting my head in the sand" for posting an image suggesting there are a few loonies about?!

hahahahahah!

Priceless.

Marooned
3rd Mar 2011, 03:13
Perhaps back nearer the topic, an insightful read is Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein. In it she describes how during periods of economic shock, social unrest and civil war, the west mobilises to manipulate the situations under the name of 'democracy' only then to 'reconstruct' systems and governments with economic advisers bringing with them binding IMF loans and various other strings that become ropes. It happened in places such as South America, Poland to name just a few. Of course non of the changes were altruistic but benefitted the bankers and the US.

What's happening now will see similar attempts of manipulation the unrest in the ME but IMO will only lead to the situation we see in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Initially this quote came to mind regarding just the ME unrest, but it is also pertinent to western governments and economic unrest:

"You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police. Yet in their hearts there is unspoken - unspeakable! - fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts! Words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home, all the more powerful because they are forbidden. These terrify them. A little mouse - a little tiny mouse! -of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.

Winston Churchill

flightknight
3rd Mar 2011, 04:42
I appreciate the hangar talk political discussion. But, please contribute your experiences and updates about the ME unrest.:ugh:

moggiee
3rd Mar 2011, 07:24
Wow! You make a semi-throwaway comment and someone goes off on a mega-rant.

I wasn't making any comment upon the validity of anyone's "cause", just saying that as someone who served in the military during part of the IRA's campaign (and got on with life, despite being a target) I can't see any reason to allow the current unrest to destabilise me and my life too much. Even if the unrest spreads to the UAE (highly unlikely in my opinion) I would not expect expats to become "targets" although I have enough funds available to get out reasonably quickly if needs be.

With regard to the rest of sittingidly's diatribe, I see that it has now been removed so I shall refrain from comment. However, his near namesake Sitting Bull (speaking from the spirit world) might have a thing or two to say about American "imperialism" and the use of the word "genocide"! :)

FlyingCroc
3rd Mar 2011, 12:08
I think it is just the beginning of major unrest worldwide, people are tired of the way things are going with these kings and tyrants in this part of the World. This is the main reason why everything is so backwards here and not because of Islam.
I don't think there is a problem in the UAE or Qatar, however in Bahrain I think we will see soon a lot of trouble. I wonder if someone from Gulf Air can give us some insight.

Che Guevara
3rd Mar 2011, 15:17
I wonder if someone from Gulf Air can give us some insight.

The Pearl 'square', which is actually a roundabout was re-occupied by protestors when the Military pulled out, and still is. There have been a few other demonstrations here and there, including counter demonstrations this week. I suspect tomorrow will throw up a couple more being Friday etc.

On the outside it appears to be a bit of a stalemate at the moment. Getting to work is not a problem albeit by an alternate route to avoid the excitement down at the Pearl. Apart from that, life at the moment is normal for most people including the expats. Let's hope it stays that way.

however in Bahrain I think we will see soon a lot of trouble.

Maybe, maybe not, hard to tell really, some think that Iran is the fly in the ointment....who knows for sure.

ferris
3rd Mar 2011, 20:08
Let's hope it stays that way. Don't see how it can.

I sense a growing amount of frustration that the hitherto peaceful marches, roundabout occupancy etc. doesn't seem to be yielding the desired results (as many and varied as they are). The marches are being increasingly used to disrupt traffic, ranging further afield. Extrapolate that a bit, and it will get interesting.

On the other side, the economy is in free fall. Friends in retail report sales running at 40% of usual- mall traffic well down. Even filipino shop girls are being preventing from returning to Bahrain after leave. Hotels are nervously hoping that the GP can be salvaged later in the year- or else. One only has to see how the roads are no longer traffic logged (especially on the Saudi weekend) to imagine what must be happening at cash registers. All this is yet to impact us wage slaves, but there are ramifications. I don't know how long those that are the keepers of the Golden Rules will talk before they act; all this on a local level, without any reference to geo-political stuff.

Interesting times.

Edited to add: I just came across this.....
My Mushaima said on Wednesday that protesters have “the right to appeal for help from Iran” if Saudi military units interfere in the struggle. Tanks were seen crossing the 17-mile causeway from Saudi Arabia to Bahrain on Tuesday.

“These were supposed to be Bahrain’s tanks returning from Kuwait: that is not a credible story,” said Firas Abi Ali, a Gulf expert at the risk group Exclusive Analysis.
from here Saudi Arabia contagion triggers Gulf rout - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/8358176/Saudi-Arabia-contagion-triggers-Gulf-rout.html)

screwballburling
4th Mar 2011, 02:51
I was always of the opinion there would be a mass exodus from the region at some stage. Lets face it, it is an unstable part of the world. It may have nice shops (Starbucks), buildings etc. but that don't make it anymore stable IMHO. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that people power in that region may spark it all off. All things come to an end sooner or later.

Che Guevara
4th Mar 2011, 04:52
My Mushaima said on Wednesday that protesters have “the right to appeal for help from Iran”

How do you think that would play out?

Interesting times for sure, although I'm not sure I want a front row seat for that.

Cheers

Mephistopheles
4th Mar 2011, 14:08
This Mushaima character is dangerous, he seems to be willing to provoke
conflict & plunge this island into a civil war inorder to get some power &
money. Even the Al waqef are wary of him.
I honestly believe that one cannot put any trust what-so-ever in any religious
leaders since they all have personal agendas & are more power hungry than even Saddam
or Gadaffi.
Let's just hope sense & logic prevail & the talking starts.

ferris
4th Mar 2011, 23:06
How do you think that would play out? I don't think Iran has the military capability to project any power this way. It doesn't matter what people here ask for. The best they can hope for is being armed from across the moat in order to fight their own battles. That can only take the form of small arms and explosives (and a protracted guerrilla-style campaign is not good for expats).

Rumour has it that the protesters have been given til Sunday to exit the pearl. We will see what transpires.

flightknight
6th Mar 2011, 05:18
What Next ?
Saudi Arabia Bans All Protests | News | English (http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Saudi-Arabia-Bans-All-Protests-117458783.html)

doubleu-anker
6th Mar 2011, 06:00
This is one of the many reasons I abhor politicians.

You have that :mad: Blair and his cronies, slobbering of Gadaffi not long ago, while he knew full well that he ordered the bombing of the Pan Am aircraft.

Now we don't hear one politician backing Gadaffi.

desertopsguy
7th Mar 2011, 00:00
Even if only a small protest goes off in KSA next week, expect to see a couple of percentage points rapidly tacked on to the price of a barrel of oil. Libya isn't even a major player in the oil world and look what that did.

vtwo
7th Mar 2011, 22:39
Saudis mobilise thousands of troops to quell growing revolt - Middle East, World - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudis-mobilise-thousands-of-troops-to-quell-growing-revolt-2232928.html)

Saudis Mobilize the Military - Thousands of Troops to Quell Growing Revolt

By Robert Fisk, Middle East Correspondent
Saturday, 5 March 2011

Saudi Arabia was yesterday drafting up to 10,000 security personnel into its north-eastern Shia Muslim provinces, clogging the highways into Dammam and other cities with busloads of troops in fear of next week's "day of rage" by what is now called the "Hunayn Revolution".

Saudi Arabia's worst nightmare – the arrival of the new Arab awakening of rebellion and insurrection in the kingdom – is now casting its long shadow over the House of Saud. Provoked by the Shia majority uprising in the neighbouring Sunni-dominated island of Bahrain , where protesters are calling for the overthrow of the ruling al-Khalifa family, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia is widely reported to have told the Bahraini authorities that if they do not crush their Shia revolt, his own forces will.

The opposition is expecting at least 20,000 Saudis to gather in Riyadh and in the Shia Muslim provinces of the north-east of the country in six days, to demand an end to corruption and, if necessary, the overthrow of the House of Saud. Saudi security forces have deployed troops and armed police across the Qatif area – where most of Saudi Arabia 's Shia Muslims live – and yesterday would-be protesters circulated photographs of armoured vehicles and buses of the state-security police on a highway near the port city of Dammam .

Although desperate to avoid any outside news of the extent of the protests spreading, Saudi security officials have known for more than a month that the revolt of Shia Muslims in the tiny island of Bahrain was expected to spread to Saudi Arabia . Within the Saudi kingdom, thousands of emails and Facebook messages have encouraged Saudi Sunni Muslims to join the planned demonstrations across the "conservative" and highly corrupt kingdom. They suggest – and this idea is clearly co-ordinated – that during confrontations with armed police or the army next Friday, Saudi women should be placed among the front ranks of the protesters to dissuade the Saudi security forces from opening fire.

If the Saudi royal family decides to use maximum violence against demonstrators, US President Barack Obama will be confronted by one of the most sensitive Middle East decisions of his administration. In Egypt , he only supported the demonstrators after the police used unrestrained firepower against protesters. But in Saudi Arabia – supposedly a "key ally" of the US and one of the world's principal oil producers – he will be loath to protect the innocent.

So far, the Saudi authorities have tried to dissuade their own people from supporting the 11 March demonstrations on the grounds that many protesters are "Iraqis and Iranians". It's the same old story used by Ben Ali of Tunisia and Mubarak of Egypt and Bouteflika of Algeria and Saleh of Yemen and the al-Khalifas of Bahrain : "foreign hands" are behind every democratic insurrection in the Middle East .

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Mr Obama will be gritting their teeth next Friday in the hope that either the protesters appear in small numbers or that the Saudis "restrain" their cops and security; history suggests this is unlikely. When Saudi academics have in the past merely called for reforms, they have been harassed or arrested. King Abdullah, albeit a very old man, does not brook rebel lords or restive serfs telling him to make concessions to youth. His £27bn bribe of improved education and housing subsidies is unlikely to meet their demands.

An indication of the seriousness of the revolt against the Saudi royal family comes in its chosen title: Hunayn. This is a valley near Mecca , the scene of one of the last major battles of the Prophet Mohamed against a confederation of Bedouins in AD630. The Prophet won a tight victory after his men were fearful of their opponents. The reference in the Koran, 9: 25-26, as translated by Tarif el-Khalidi, contains a lesson for the Saudi princes: "God gave you victory on many battlefields. Recall the day of Hunayn when you fancied your great numbers. So the earth, with all its wide expanse, narrowed before you and you turned tail and fled. Then God made his serenity to descend upon his Messenger and the believers, and sent down troops you did not see – and punished the unbelievers."

The unbelievers, of course, are supposed – in the eyes of the Hunayn Revolution – to be the King and his thousand princes.

Like almost every other Arab potentate over the past three months, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia suddenly produced economic bribes and promised reforms when his enemy was at the gates. Can the Arabs be bribed? Their leaders can, perhaps, especially when, in the case of Egypt , Washington was offering it the largest handout of dollars – $1.5bn (£800m) – after Israel . But when the money rarely trickles down to impoverished and increasingly educated youth, past promises are recalled and mocked. With oil prices touching $120 a barrel and the Libyan debacle lowering its production by up to 75 per cent, the serious economic – and moral, should this interest the Western powers – question, is how long the "civilised world" can go on supporting the nation whose citizens made up almost all of the suicide killers of 9/11?

The Arabian peninsula gave the world the Prophet and the Arab Revolt against the Ottomans and the Taliban and 9/11 and – let us speak the truth – al-Qa'ida. This week's protests in the kingdom will therefore affect us all – but none more so than the supposedly conservative and definitely hypocritical pseudo-state, run by a company without shareholders called the House of Saud.

flightknight
8th Mar 2011, 03:05
Thanks for the updates in the ME. If possible, please post links only. :ouch:

Capetonian
8th Mar 2011, 03:15
Thanks for the updates in the ME. If possible, please post links only

Most of the websites carrying this type of news are blocked in the countries affected (I know .... I'm in one at present), so posting links is not a good idea for some of us.

The link to the article above ..........

با استناد به قانون جرايم رايانه ای
دسترسۍ به تارنماۍ فراخوانده شده امكان پذير نمۍ باشد.

Which I assume means BBIWY !

Gulfstreamaviator
8th Mar 2011, 04:01
links are great text is better,

I can not see Saudi TV carrying the report, but all routes to the news and situation is welcome.

glf

RoyHudd
8th Mar 2011, 05:26
From recent memory, Saudi tv is state-controlled, so little real news will be broadcast there. And open access to reporters is not at all likely. Most news will come from Twitter, and from private mobiles/internet. Which are again controlled.

Bad situation for all out there, except maybe the fundamentalist troublemakers.

crewmeal
8th Mar 2011, 05:52
Be wise guys don't criticise Saudi policy too much or else the authroities will cotton on and PPRuNe will get blocked in SA. It happened to a teaching form recently that runs on the same lines as PPRuNe.

flightknight
9th Mar 2011, 03:56
Thanks for the input and updates and this forum. Its critical information for us expat crew and our families caught up in the turmoil and uncertainity.:ugh:

bitch baron
9th Mar 2011, 09:45
There are supposedly "Day of Rage" marches planned in Saudi Arabia for Friday 11th & 18th March, but generally people here don't feel that there will be trouble in the Kingdom. The authorities have made it clear that demonstrations are against the law and against Islam. But you never know. In the age of digital communication, all sorts of things seem to happen.

OMDB-PiLoT
9th Mar 2011, 12:40
AGAINST ISLAM???? :eek:
So basically all these Muslim people fighting and dying for their freedom are committing sin???

ferris
13th Mar 2011, 12:45
It's in full swing in Bahrain today.

Farrell
13th Mar 2011, 19:27
Kicking off again in Oman.
Most media is only covering Muscat, however unrest in the Interior is on the increase.
Ibri tonight is a no-go area with protesting youths burning property.

flightknight
13th Mar 2011, 20:21
Looks like south east asia or the bottom end of the totem pole in a union carrier are the options if SHTC in the ME:ugh:

Farrell
14th Mar 2011, 02:01
Staff blocking entrance to Crowne Plaza hotel just now.
Could not get in.
Security guards standing doing nothing. No police yet.

halas
14th Mar 2011, 04:14
Things are heating up in the UAE too!

Last week a petition (with over 100 signatures on it!) was handed to the government in Abu Dhabi requesting them to introduce elections in the UAE.

The darkness is spreading!

halas

Gulfstreamaviator
14th Mar 2011, 06:37
Dubai is Disney land on Steroids, so not surprised.

glf

SOPS
14th Mar 2011, 16:21
BBC News - Gulf states send force to Bahrain following protests (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12729786)

Gulfstreamaviator
14th Mar 2011, 18:26
The arab union should be the ones to enforce the NFZ, or whatever the outcome is, that the interested LOCAL parties have determined should be the action.

This course of action would raise the credability of the Arab world in the eyes of the rest of the world, and perhaps demonstrate that they are a credible political and military force.

glf

FlyingCroc
14th Mar 2011, 19:04
The Arab League? Backward bunch of dicators, kings, why would they want democracy in this part of the World. The really sad part is that the military in Libya is willing to shoot and kill its own people, what else can be said about such a disfunctional society.
As for Bahrain, the king invites the brutal regime of Saudi Arabia to kill his own citizens. I am glad I do not have such miserable SOB's running my country, a sad day in the Middle East. :eek:

Dan_Brown
14th Mar 2011, 19:22
How do you mean, raise their credibility?? They have no credibility to raise. :ugh:

Guy D'ageradar
14th Mar 2011, 19:46
The really sad part is that the military in Libya is willing to shoot and kill its own people, what else can be said about such a disfunctional society.

I think you'll find that most "western democracies" (even without the trigger happy yanks) are a lot more aggressive than you think, on occasion.

FlyingCroc
14th Mar 2011, 20:48
One more reason to keep them out of there, including the US. Having NATO involved in this mess will not help. The scoundrels and syncophants like Sarkozy, Berlusconi profited enough from the corrupt regime.
I think this is eventually a problem of the Libyan people to get rid of that SOB, and I really hope they do.

Saltie
15th Mar 2011, 03:38
If (huge 'if') the Arab league got their air assets into place in time (another huge 'if') to have any effect, it would be interesting in the extreme to see them operate all that cool Western kit they (only ocassionally) fly.

Basil bin Fawlthy (Towers) versus Baldrick abu Blackadder would not be too far off the mark I think.

As others ahve said before me, since nothing but talk has been done to now, it's all but over for the rebels - un less a stray cruiise missile (deniable?) were to find its way into the rigfht compound in Tripoli and the right time.

If that little miracle were to occur, it would be a whole new ball game - which in my opinion, despite all their pious pontifications to the contrary, I really don't think any of the European political leadership want. A potentially radical Islamic republic immediately under Italy? They'd prefer Gaddafi with every wart in place to that.

The only winners out of this sorry situation will be Al Qaeda and the shadowy men who run the boats carrying refugees to Malta and Italy.

Farrell
15th Mar 2011, 12:56
State of emergency declared in BAH

BBC News - Bahrain king declares state of emergency after protests (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/world-middle-east-12745608)

midnite
15th Mar 2011, 14:27
Anyone living in Bahrain. What do you think about security for crews on layovers there?

flightknight
15th Mar 2011, 18:36
Bahrain is probably trending to a sectarian conflict . Looks like there is a lack of educated folks in the leadership. They had so many opportunities to end this diplomatically. The usual hard headedness of the ME prevails.:ugh:

FlyingCroc
15th Mar 2011, 18:59
What happened to this place? They are kiling in Bahrain! If I was there I think I would leave on the next plane. Is it still possible to even work for Gulf Air? I heard the load factors are way down. I mean seriously even as a passenger I would not fly with them! :eek:

ByeByeDubai
15th Mar 2011, 19:17
I think it is hardly appropriate to talk of democracy and the problems in the Arab world after the examples of the so call "Western Democracies"

Didn't America and the UK destroy Iraq on the pretence of WMD (their own intelligence having proved there were none) to help themselves to the oil there? Wasn't the company awarded the most lucrative contracts that on whose board the US Vice President sat? Didn't they kill thousands of civilians as "co-lateral damage" and trigger a civil war?
These sound suspiciously like the actions of war criminals to me.

Wasn't the whole financial collapse that has put millions below the poverty line because the Treasury Secretary, Chairman of the Fed, Head of the SEC etc. all worked for or took money from companies like Goldman Sachs who benefited hugely from the whole debacle?
This bunch sound a lot like plain thieves and fraudsters.

No one has been prosecuted or gone to jail. Their own people have not kicked them out because they cannot. The banks and mega corporations ensure they remain there.
This does not sound like democracy to me.

Let us not critisise too harshly the Arab world when the West is run by murderers, cheats and thieves.

FlyingCroc
15th Mar 2011, 19:26
Murderers, war criminals and thieves run the Western governments as well. Iraq was just the beginning and it spun out of control with all its puppets, kings, dictators and other CIA stooges and sycophants in the wake. What will happen if the Japanese want to cash in those toxic US bonds? What will happen to the US Dollar and the currencies in the Middle East? :eek:

crewmeal
16th Mar 2011, 06:23
And now it's Syria's turn

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12749674

roadrunner21
16th Mar 2011, 14:32
Well, someone has an evacuation plan in place

The Defense Department authorized a voluntary relocation program on Tuesday, in which families of military and DoD civilians assigned to Bahrain could be flown, at government expense, back to destinations of their choice in the U.S. and would receive per diem allowances. Military and “emergency essential” civilians, however, will stay until their projected rotation dates, according to the FAQ sheet posted on the 5th Fleet website.Note the link below is not an official DOD website
DoD offers to move families in Bahrain - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times (http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/navy-bahrain-families-base-relocation-031511w/)

flightknight
17th Mar 2011, 02:17
DXB ???:hmm:

Doors To Manuel
17th Mar 2011, 07:12
Daily Telegraph Thu 17 MArch
The Government has advised all Britons to leave Bahrain immediately and will send charter planes to evacuate them from the country after tanks rolled into the capital.

The fan has been hit.

ironbutt57
17th Mar 2011, 08:01
Good grief people!!!:confused:

nolimitholdem
17th Mar 2011, 12:06
Wait! Wait! I thought we were still bashing the West! lol

At least there aren't tanks currently rolling through Washington, London, or Paris...:rolleyes:

ironbutt57
17th Mar 2011, 15:12
Can't speak for London or Paris, but the APV's would be a good idea in most inner cities USA, well at least they are a LITTLE bit more difficult to carjack :ok:

ManaAdaSystem
17th Mar 2011, 21:03
This is getting really ugly! Local news now showing an unarmed demonstrator in BAH getting shot at point blank range by uniformed forces!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9W_-0uGN1E&feature=player_embedded&skipcontrinter=1

roadrunner21
18th Mar 2011, 09:39
that video is kid stuff , here is one better
http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Do7vZEryzsEo
(note you will have to log in to youtube.com to watch that video : description of said video if you are not planning on losing your lunch --- imagine cracked melon with the insides of the melon missing )

more relevant to this forum Eurocontrol: Libya shuts airspace to all traffic (http://www.jpost.com/Headlines/Article.aspx?id=212734)
SO, whos flying in to Libya currently and who enforces this one? these guys ? :ok:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2jaalh5.jpg

ManaAdaSystem
18th Mar 2011, 16:33
41 killed and more than 100 wounded in Yemen. The government there declares a state of emergency.

A link to Israeli news sources is not likely to be available to our colleagues in the ME, Roadrunner.

Farrell
19th Mar 2011, 02:59
They have torn down Pearl (Lulu) roundabout!

capt_NEL
19th Mar 2011, 11:40
In Kuwait think im safe? :eek:

Desert Diner
19th Mar 2011, 21:46
Anyone living in Bahrain. What do you think about security for crews on layovers there?

This is just a repeat of 94-95

zedoscarro
19th Mar 2011, 23:11
What happened in 94-95?

Mephistopheles
20th Mar 2011, 10:00
94-95 explosion in the Diplomat hotel by some peaceful protesters no doubt.

The Pearl roundabout was knocked down in order to build Pearl Square there so that the international news media don't look complete cretins for insisting on calling in Pearl SQUARE

Yo767
20th Mar 2011, 23:09
Message sent from Gulfair to its employees today. I feel safer already.

*DRIVING TIPS/CHECK POINT PROTOCOL*

● Do not attempt to drive your way through the checkpoint.

● Make sure your doors are locked and windows closed.

● If necessary, roll your window down just far enough to talk, less than one inch.

● Be polite, do not panic.

● State that you are a Gulf Air employee.

● If they insist on ID, present your CPR card as well as your GF ID card. At no time should you relinquish control of the ID.

● If asked, “where are you going?” state where (home or work location).

● Never get out of your vehicle or open any of the doors unless your advised by one of the police officers.

● Always ensure enough fuel is in your car.

● Have a fully charged mobile phone.

ironbutt57
21st Mar 2011, 03:39
Keep a crate of cold "brewskies" in your vehicle:ok:

Che Guevara
21st Mar 2011, 20:55
Well done GF, copied and pasted from US Embassy advisory notice except for the GF employee bit....what about the part that suggests leaving?

SMT Member
22nd Mar 2011, 17:55
Rumours circulating DHL has upped sticks and moved their circus to SHJ. If true, will make a fairly large part of BAH look very quite.

slowjet
23rd Mar 2011, 00:15
And then the Bahrain Big Mouths will tell us everything is Ok. Back in Starbucks, drinkin cofeee..............oh, and when can my kids go back to school.............geeeeeesus...........yawn !

flightknight
23rd Mar 2011, 02:58
Businesses seem to be exiting BAH and other sectors of the UAE enmasse. So, is the expansion fever still on or shrunk ? :oh:

falconeasydriver
23rd Mar 2011, 03:32
Businesses seem to be exiting BAH and other sectors of the UAE enmasse. So, is the expansion fever still on or shrunk ?

Flightknight, forgive me but are you confusing the UAE with BAH?

Theres no mass exodus here in the UAE, in point of fact plenty of people in BAH are heading to the UAE.

ferris
23rd Mar 2011, 14:55
The Bahrain economy is in free fall. Even the hookers are leaving.

Albergineman
23rd Mar 2011, 15:08
And next GF's destination after kabul will be Tripoli...

:yuk:

GrannySmith
23rd Mar 2011, 16:34
That's complete nonsense! It's gonna be Fukoshima , operated on our new Mitsubishi RJs. Initially 3 times a week (Safi codeshare). The Bahrain business community has signalled a high interest in this heavily underserved niche market, which is well known for its fresh spinache - and carpet-exports.
GF' s management assured that radiationlevels would not present any harm to its crews. However LMRA emphasized that it would provide previously laid-off over 60 pilots with work-permits if GF's presently ongoing recruitment efforts in Congo turned out to be unsuccessful.

Gulfstreamaviator
23rd Mar 2011, 16:50
Bahrain is dry now too....

glf

Dune
23rd Mar 2011, 17:23
Flightknight, forgive me but are you confusing the UAE with BAH?

Theres no mass exodus here in the UAE, in point of fact plenty of people in BAH are heading to the UAE.

This is correct. In fact, my business contacts tell me there has been a HUGE surge in commercial real estate inquiries in Dubai the past 2 months from businesses looking to move their MENA operations due to the political problems in Bahrain, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia and Oman.

This "unrest" may be the best thing to happen to the UAE for years (certainly since the bubble high in 2008). The UAE's perceived safety makes it a good geographical bet to base multi-national regional offices. The 50%+ property decline has also made the place once again a competitive center to base business assets.

Da Do Ron Ron
24th Mar 2011, 13:38
Well it wasn't at 3am this morning :p

sheikmyarse
24th Mar 2011, 14:09
They will not be immune. Give time to time...They have the same tribal and sectarian issues.Remember that the ruling family took power by killing the opposition on the other side of the Creek.....

"There are no official opposition groups in the oil-rich UAE, a union of seven sheikhdoms. But the petition, signed by 130 pro-reform supporters, showed that Emiratis are acting on the inspiration of the Egyptian and Tunisian revolts. It demands the ruling system changes, gives them a say in the running of the country and a share in its oil wealth"

"By putting these demands forward at this time we wanted to send a message that cannot be missed: We have some demands for political reform and democracy, too," said Ahmed Mansour, an Emirati human rights activist and blogger.

"The petition was addressed to UAE president and ruler of the capital Abu Dhabi, Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan. The petitioners demanded "a comprehensive reform of the parliamentary system" and "free elections for all citizens". They also called for constitutional reforms and granting legislative powers to an elected parliament.

The UAE parliament is an advisory body. Its 40 members are either directly appointed by the ruling sheikhs or elected by citizens hand-picked by the rulers to vote. Political parties and rallies are banned. Labourers from Southeast Asia have staged protests against low wages and poor working conditions in Dubai, but rallies ended in a police crackdown that included jailing and deporting thousands.

Read more: UAE citizens join push for greater democracy | Irish Examiner (http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/kfeyqlgbidsn/rss2/#ixzz1HWgU14Gz)