PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737-3/4/5 severe damage seperation indications

downwind
15th Feb 2011, 13:33
hello all,

what engine indications should I be looking at for a severe damage and or seperation engine indication on the B737-3/4/5? I have looked at fctm its a bit light on for this bit?

thank you

alexban
15th Feb 2011, 13:59
severe damage - something got stuck, i.e. turbine or fan , so you'll see some parameters indicating - 0 ( N1 , N2),
for separation a good indication will be missing parameters - dashes , and also the light - Fault on the fire warning panel.

RAT 5
16th Feb 2011, 10:15
Severe damage does not need to be just something stuck. You could have an FCU fault causing a much higher EGT on 1 side. It could be extreme vibration with all bits turning. If the engine is not surging, but it is exhibiting gross bad behaviour be suspicious about Damage. Further, I notice the new NG QRH SEV DAM conditions says abnormal indications accompanied with airframe vibration. A simple N1 or N2 = 0% seems not to qualify. Are Boeing saying that a stuck fan/turbine will cause VIB automatically? trouble is it doesn't in the sim.

Checkboard
16th Feb 2011, 15:01
Severe damage - locked indications on N1 or N2, or high vibrations - anything that tells you it hasn't simply flamed out.

Separation - you will know it as you will have trouble keeping the aircraft in the air - complete loss of thrust on one side, loss of a couple of tons of mass on one side (which at high power/low speed leads to "crossed controls" - left rudder/right aileron for example) and as the engine leaves (usually under power, so it powers forward as it tears off the pylon, then UP and OVER the wing, taking the leading edge devices with it) the associated wing loses lift.