PDA

View Full Version : Dubai/Abu Dhabi Highway speed limit

Turkeyslapper
14th Feb 2011, 16:18
Now, I am not trying to justify my speed on the highway however, when did the "speed limit" ie the speed camera tolerence change from 160 to 140 km/h at Shahama on the Dubai/Abu Dhabi highway? I was aware that many limits were changing however I was under the impression(mistakenly obviously) that the highway remained unchanged.

I only know this because I was flashed at 150 the other night on the way home from work. None of the other cameras appear to have been changed so WTF? Same highway, same posted speed limit so do we now have two unofficial speed limits on the AD section of the highway?

Not too keen at looking on the RTA web site at my fines now:{

Turkey

flaphandlemover
14th Feb 2011, 17:25
Pilots Rumors Network....

May I ask you, why you are posting your speeding problem on PPRune?

Leito
14th Feb 2011, 17:31
If you would have followed the speed limit, A.K.A. 120km then you wouldn't have problems.

Now go and cry somewhere else :{

Good question flaphandlemover !!

shresht
14th Feb 2011, 17:51
I didn't know it had been changed.

It's probably best to stay around 120 though. Thanks for the heads-up.

moggiee
14th Feb 2011, 18:19
A lot of AD speed limits changed on 1 Jan, and the papers carried the story around the time - but I'm sure that I read in The National that the tolerances hadn't changed. Still, I don't ever go more than 19kmh over the limit so should be OK!

NG_Kaptain
14th Feb 2011, 19:14
What they said in the news was instead of a 20K leeway it is now a 10% leeway.
So in a 60 KPH you are now allowed 6 KPH over before you get flashed.

binrow
14th Feb 2011, 21:16
Speed limit , thats only for cars with the expat plates, no fines for the locals at 160kmh:rolleyes:

Turkeyslapper
15th Feb 2011, 02:27
May I ask you, why you are posting your speeding problem on PPRuNe?

Flaphandlemover....how is it any different from discussions on DEWA bills, evacuation plans et al??? Please pull your head in!

However in order to keep you happy.....as a PILOT, I thought it maybe useful information for other PILOTs who use this road regularly. :ok:

Turkey

Tower Ranger
15th Feb 2011, 03:58
Dubai?Abu Dhabi is quite unique in the fact that you don`t even have to be driving your car to get fined. I was given two traffic violations at 04.30 one morning in Abu Dhabi when my car was parked underground in Dubai and I was fast asleep. A friend got 1000dhs and three black points when he was on holiday, we could both prove it but had to pay regardless.

INLAK
15th Feb 2011, 05:21
I recall reading in the Good News recently that the limit on the Abu Dhabi side of the border had been raised to 140kph, with a grace of 20kph up to 160kph before being fined.

Haven't tested it out...yet.

halas
15th Feb 2011, 06:44
URL operations? That would be EKIT (Mercator) wouldn't it?:}

halas

global707
15th Feb 2011, 07:18
May be due to road works (widening of the highway) at Shahama....

SafeDrive
15th Feb 2011, 09:19
Be careful about your car being used while you are asleep!!!:=

SafeDrive
15th Feb 2011, 09:30
I believe the speed limits at shahama has changed because it is a township. If you notice the entire road from dubai border till Abu Dhabi via Yas island road, Shahama is the only town which is kinda having some people and which can be treated as a township where the speed limit actually applies. Even i believe i have been clicked at the same camera..Not sure though coz this happened some time back and i have not yet seen the fine on the site. But what about the camera on the other side of the road?? Is it clicking as well?? I am a daily commuter from Dubai to Abu Dhabi. If that is the case my friend and i should have many fines by now coz we regularly keep our cars at 150 cruise control. I never noticed the camera clicking in the morning @ shahama when i come from DXB to AUH. Now i have reduced the speed to 128Kph still it is taking me only 90 minutes to reach home. And to those who are speeding on the fast lane with that flash kinda head light!! :mad::=

menegoc
15th Feb 2011, 14:45
I got flashed bot directions same place same speed:159:{

captainsmiffy
15th Feb 2011, 18:00
...then you are a tw*t for driving that fast in the first place and deserve a double flash!!

Dubaian
16th Feb 2011, 08:16
You can check for any fines in the Abu Dhabi Traffic Police system here....
Traffic Fines Payment System - Traffic Fines Inquiry (http://www.adpolice.gov.ae/TrafficFines/Inquiry.aspx?Culture=en)
but you need to know the T.C No for your vehicle as well as the number plate info.

The Dubai Police system is here....
Traffic Fines Payment System - Traffic Fines Inquiry (http://www.adpolice.gov.ae/TrafficFines/Inquiry.aspx?Culture=en)
and you can check for any number plate - including if you wish your colleagues / enemies.

Both systems permit online payments.

Gulfstreamaviator
16th Feb 2011, 09:55
The national speed limit is 120 kph, and not 159.9 kph

IF shot by fixed camera, then the procedure was the camera was et at 160.

OK so far BUT

Why have a speed limit sign that shows 120...

Difference between the posted limit and the enforced limit was to allow for calibration errors in speedometer.

Does gulf spec cars have such a wide tolerances.

Lastly, in the lower speed limit areas, on the E11 in UAQ for example, is there a large differences between the two speed limits, say 100 and 140 for the camera.

glf

Voel
16th Feb 2011, 11:39
May I ask you, why you are posting your speeding problem on PPRuNe?
...cos Turkeyslapper was flying at low level :E

White Knight
16th Feb 2011, 11:41
That Voel is the best reply yet:ok::ok::ok:

Matt101
16th Feb 2011, 15:35
If you'd done it in the UK it wouldn't be a problem at all as the money you recoup from not having to fill up your car anymore (having earned yourself an instant ban) would cover the costs of your fine.

Just because some people drive like idiots does not mean we all have to fall to the lowest denominator.

Earl
16th Feb 2011, 20:27
Been Up and down that highway DXB AUH for almost 3 years now.
Also the AAN DXB one.
Kept it below the 120 speed, sometimes up to the 130 out of the construction areas.
Never seen a speed camera flash off as most of my travel is after sunset.
But ones that passed me seen many flashes.
Then again I am on a Harley, maybe the cameras cannot see the plate.

moggiee
18th Feb 2011, 20:30
...then you are a tw*t for driving that fast in the first place and deserve a double flash!!
Doubly so in fact because he/she didn't learn the lesson first time through!

EY EVP
19th Feb 2011, 12:04
Frequently shoot up and down that road between Dubai and AUH at 160 and not been flashed....checked with both Dubai and Abu Dhabi police and not showing any fines..could it have been a mobile camera or ?

Plazbot
19th Feb 2011, 12:52
You lot sound like the sour bitches on expat woman some times :rolleyes:

To actually answer the question, as far as I can see it is just the camera in both directions at Shaharma nearest the airport. A few people I know got flashed in both directions. I did some surverying where I allowed one of our local hosts to go by and sat 50m behind them taking note of which flashed and which did not. As best as I could see, it was only the one after the AD airport towards Dubai and the last one before the same point after Yas Island exit. My fine list mirrors this as I have not noticed a flash using this strategy.

As for the safety discussion, it is far safer at 159km/hr in the left lane than negotiating the other 3 lanes with speeds anywhere from 60-140km/hr at play and the closing speed that entails. **** heads in the Labour buses pulling out into lane 2 to allow the trucks that are closing on them in lane 1 to under take because it is apparently too dangerous for them to be allowed in lane 2 and the chaps from the subcontinent in lane 3 with their constant speed changes like a Murrili mystery ball.