PDA

View Full Version : Lancasters !

OFSO
13th Feb 2011, 11:34
My wife found this photo among her father's papers after his death just before Christmas. Nothing written on the back of the photo so other than the obvious fact that it's a Lancaster - and we know Henry 'Harry' Watson was flight engineer and which is him in the photo - that's it.

If any other descendents of Bomber Command aircrew have their photographs handy could you have a look and see if you have a copy of the same picture - and if so let us have details ? It's the least I can do for Harry's memory.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/HenrysLancaster.jpg

getsometimein
13th Feb 2011, 11:58
Sean Feast is a man that might be able to help...

Sean Feast (http://www.seanfeast.com/)

My father and I have talked to him in detail about 582 Sqn and other things whilst doing research for my Grandfathers hsitory.

A very knowledgable man who is also very willing to help.

Fareastdriver
13th Feb 2011, 13:52
Try Aviation History and Nostagia. All the Air Force history experts are on there.

Old-Duffer
13th Feb 2011, 17:30
......... here's some advice.

The surviving next of kin can get the Record of Service of the deceased person. This will show where your father in law was posted and what dates he was there. This will lead you to one or two squadrons (or the Lancaster Finishing Schools).

I don't think Henry Watson is in this photo 'cause there ain't a brevet in sight. These guys look like the squadron's maintenance crews, possibly taken by or for the aircrew they looked after (well - aircraft actually).

The address you want for service records is: Personnel Disclosures, Trenchard Hall, RAF Cranwell, Sleaford NG34 8HB. Try to give as much detail as you can (full names, service number, date of birth). It might cost you £30, however but they will tell you.

Old Duffer

Pontius Navigator
13th Feb 2011, 18:35
The range of uniforms and dress is truely wonderful from the absolute scruffs on the left to the two in smartish denim. I see the FS has a medal as indeed does the smiling face 4 in from the left.

OFSO
13th Feb 2011, 18:46
I don't think Henry Watson is in this photo 'cause there ain't a brevet in sight

Thanks for the advice, Old Duffer. Yes he is, his face was much the same when he was in his eighties, quite unmistakable.

taxydual
13th Feb 2011, 19:01
Whats the betting the absolute scruffs on the left were Movers.

I know, hat, coat etc

Sorry, Movers, just a joke.

Bloody good photo all the same. 'Youbend'em, wemend'em' springs to mind.

Dengue_Dude
13th Feb 2011, 20:03
You think Movers is bad. The guy on the extreme right looks like he's on and exchange tour from the German Air Force . . .

I wish I still had my dad's wartime photos, he was on Blenheims. I envy you this 'quest'.

occhips
13th Feb 2011, 20:27
Dengue Dude

I am currently serving on a reservist Sqn that flew Blenheim's during WW2 and finished up doing very well as a night fighter Sqn. If you dad was on that Sqn, we may have pictures in storage somewhere?:ok:

NutLoose
13th Feb 2011, 21:55
also ask in the flypast forums historcal thread.

Historic Aviation - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)

u will need to register.

PPRuNe Pop
13th Feb 2011, 22:32
OFSO,

Please resize your picture to 850x850 that is the size PPRuNe uses. Thanks.

petetheplane
13th Feb 2011, 22:38
Can I suggest some features from the photo that might help in its identification ?

1 it is a late production Lancaster with an enlarged bomb aimer's bubble window, large astrodome and Rebecca antenna

2 it has done 15 missions, from the bomb log under the cockpit

3 it is coded G (behind the bomb aimer's window)

4 it has no exhaust shrouds, so either the photo was taken after VE-day, or it was on low-threat training duties prior

5 it has no underwing serials, which were introduced around August 1945

so I suggest that the time-frame is early summer 1945.

sisemen
13th Feb 2011, 23:11
It was obviously taken early on in the Lancaster's life - 42 or early 43. Clues - not paddle blade props and no shielding over the exhausts.

682al
14th Feb 2011, 10:11
petetheplane is near the mark.

The presence of Z equipment in the bomb-aimer's blister dates it to no earlier than autumn 1944, but from the absence of exhaust shrouds I'd also go for a postwar snap.

Definitely not 1942 or 43.

Paddle blades v. needle blades isn't really an indication of time period since both were in use during the later stages of the war.

OFSO
14th Feb 2011, 10:41
Gents, many thanks for all the help. Each smidgen of info enables us to go a bit further !

OFSO and Harry's daughter, Mrs OFSO

OFSO
20th Feb 2011, 07:20
Was watching the film "The Dambusters" last night, I notice they didn't have the exhaust shrouds fitted for the mission with the Lancasters used in the film.

The leading Lancaster had a -G registration, though.

Film was made in '54.

OFSO