PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS to recruit again soon???

High_To_Low
13th Feb 2011, 06:59
Had beers with a mate the other night who is/was a LOI holder back in 2009 and he has been contacted by the recruitment department (apparently a new formed group) and asked to submit a current resume. Any thoughts?? New contract instead of EBA maybe?? Thought it was interesting considering the obvious downsizing in the pipeline over the coming yrs for mainline..

Jimothy
13th Feb 2011, 07:10
Way too early for April 1st.

Not a Chance... Sadly.

DEFCON4
13th Feb 2011, 07:13
With all the stuff thats going on with Qantas why would you want to work there?
There are plenty of other outfits who actually embrace their employees not treat them with contempt.
How many CPLs were Issued in Australia last year?
When the world economy finally settles down and travel has regained its rhythm and growth there will a real requirement for pilots with many predicting a shortfall.
All this argy bargy with Qantas is about locking in T and C s early before supply and demand pushes pilot wages up

mcgrath50
13th Feb 2011, 07:37
I can confirm the recruitment department has been reestablished with a new manager. Can't believe they are doing that for fun.

High_To_Low
13th Feb 2011, 07:46
Jimothy..no April fools mate have seen the email myself

PyroTek
13th Feb 2011, 07:54
Probably some compulsory redundancies on the way too:ugh:

qf 1
13th Feb 2011, 07:55
just in time for the up and coming dispute,be carefull with what you sign up for..:eek:

The Green Goblin
13th Feb 2011, 07:57
With talk of redundancy, I'm very skeptical.

Unless of course they are gearing up for resignations with the upcoming strike action :}

PyroTek
13th Feb 2011, 07:58
Yeah, resignations is what I meant to say.

Either way, they'll need to fill the gap.

Dragun
13th Feb 2011, 08:20
Email was sent on the 27th of January which was a carbon copy of the email sent to cadets a few weeks earlier. I can confirm it because it's sitting in my inbox.

Could be viewed as very suspect, however it's more than likely just a new manager doing some house keeping in her new role. Nothing to get excited or confused about I would suggest.

mcgrath50
13th Feb 2011, 08:23
But in the world of cost cutting, why would they restaff the department if it didn't have some recruitment to do?

Unless AJ had a HR graduate friend :E

engine out
13th Feb 2011, 08:37
Heard two rumours in a week. The first said recruitment by end of year. The second said redundancies soon. If we take the avergae of the rumours, no change, no recruitment

John Citizen
13th Feb 2011, 09:21
When the world economy finally settles down and travel has regained its rhythm and growth there will a real requirement for pilots with many predicting a shortfall.
All this argy bargy with Qantas is about locking in T and C s early before supply and demand pushes pilot wages up

Yes I hope so too, but I don't think it will happen. The airlines will use the pilot shortage to start a sham cadet scheme and use it as an excuse to pay pilots less (take a look at all the sham cadet schemes around the world).

RENURPP
13th Feb 2011, 09:57
With all the stuff thats going on with Qantas why would you want to work there?
There are plenty of other outfits who actually embrace their employees not treat them with contempt.
How many CPLs were Issued in Australia last year?
Who are these other outfits, may I ask?
I assume you are talking outside of Aus?

Dangnammit
13th Feb 2011, 10:21
Everybody else (not J* obviously)

PammyAnderson
13th Feb 2011, 14:22
This is why Q conditions WILL ultimately end up like jetstar.....
Pilots are the their own worst enemies. (as we all know)
Despite everything going down at Q right now. Despite the uncertainty, people are lining up to join no matter what the prospects or lack of career prospects. The management know this and thats why the upper hand is theirs. As previously said. You could offer someone to fly the A380 for $100K command and pilots will fight over it. And they probably will....( This is why a Mainline Pilot is no longer worth the money they get..... someone else can/will do it cheaper). :rolleyes:

PittsS2A
13th Feb 2011, 16:33
This is QF Managements way of saying to the pilot group , look we have plenty of people lining up to jump over your grave so go ahead and jump in.

Sad part is that most people who desire a job flying for QF will sign up to any old T & C's to get a start, you watch in 10 years time they'll all be posting on here whinging about how they're being shafted ! :ugh:

Jimothy
13th Feb 2011, 18:33
Ok, lets say Qantas terms and conditions deteriorate to equal or similar to Jetstar, why on earth would anyone join Qantas for the "pleasure" of possibly 7-10 years to FO, and 14-20 years to Command. When in JQ you join as an FO, and can gain a Command in a fraction of the time.
In fact regardless, I'm not sure too many would recommend Qantas at all right now:(

Dragun
13th Feb 2011, 20:29
When you join JQ as an FO you also get to work 100 stick hours every month until yearly max then clip it every month until you leave. What sort of life is that? Still haven't met a JQ who actually has good things to say about the job. The only airline left in this country worth joining is VB.

engine out
14th Feb 2011, 00:37
Jimothy, at the moment Q still pay for your endorsement. Once Jetstar stop expanding there are a lot of young captains so FO will then have to wait a very long time for a command. Where ever you work it is swings and round-a-bouts.

Keg
14th Feb 2011, 01:15
Presuming that QF doesn't expand, there is a steady stream of pilots that hit 65 over the coming years- about 30-50 a year. You'd probably be lucky to find 50 JQ captains who hit 65 in the next decade.

Given the obvious end game that JQ has in store for off shore jobs, the question needs to be asked whether JQ will continue to expand or even if those in JQ will be able to afford the JQ Asia, JQ Pacific, JQ Philippines pay rates.

ANCDU
14th Feb 2011, 02:44
Got to agree with Keg, i think the music is about to stop at Jetstar..unless of course you are prepared to take a command in Auckland, Singapore or Manila (or Dhaka or Kabul or wherever those geniuses can get cheaper pilots)! Thats not including the Qantas guys who might take opt for commands there under the MOU if things turn bad at mainline....if i was a recent FO at jetstar I would be starting to look at my options if you are after that quick command!

Interesting hearing that Qantas is starting up recruitment again, only makes me think is it recruitment for mainline Qantas or Jetconnect and EFA?.....interesting times indeed.

OneDotLow
14th Feb 2011, 03:56
Anyone care to share a (deidentified) copy of the email? They say "this thread is useless without pics" but in reality this thread is useless without a copy of said email...