PDA

View Full Version : French Lynx Crash

Crome Dome
11th Feb 2011, 20:24
Does anyone have any information on the lynx crash that occured on the 17th Sept 1986 in the Sallagouse Mountains in france please.

fade to grey
11th Feb 2011, 20:40
XZ640 " suffered turbulence at high alt in pyrennees"
3 killed

Crome Dome
11th Feb 2011, 20:51
Yes thats what the reports say.... but was anyone there.... does anyone know what they were doing there and why the helicopter was never looked at for faults

zalt
11th Feb 2011, 21:24
Mountain training I bet.

hval
12th Feb 2011, 21:05
@Zalt,

Correct

High altitude turbulence. Incident caused by human factor.

Hval

pasptoo
12th Feb 2011, 22:58
The usual "sarcasm" from posters. :ugh:

Crome Dome appears to have have a genuine interest for the request.

You guys could try to be helpful for change.

P.

Two's in
13th Feb 2011, 01:07
The aircraft was on a training exercise hovering or manoeuvring over rocky terrain (it was in the Pyrenees) when the tail rotor clipped an outcrop of rock. The loss of control resulted in the aircraft falling near-vertically for a considerable distance down a mountain gulley/re-entrant before being destroyed in a post-crash fire. The crash was non-survivable for all 3 on board.

Surprisingly the accident was witnessed by a Britsh Forces mountain climber (RAF engineer?) who provided eye-witness accounts which allowed the BOI team to locate the blade strike marks on the rock caused by the tail strike and reconstruct the accident events.

To answer your questions, they were conducting Mountain Flying training and the direct cause of the accident was the tail rotor strike. If you want to know any more, then contact the Aviation Standards team at Middle Wallop and if you have the appropriate credentials, they may answer any other questions you have.

Crome Dome
13th Feb 2011, 07:46
Thank you for that information it is most helpful. You see the pilot was my dad and I only have a very vague story of what happened. .... over 25years of wondering. Does anyone happen to know the name of the eye witness...???

Thank you all so much for your help... any amount of information is very much appreciated.

Dengue_Dude
13th Feb 2011, 09:40
Well that was a show-stopper.

Sadly Crome Dome we do tend towards sarcasm, black humour and so on and sometimes forget that people come on this Rumour network for real reasons. Military and ex are worse than 'normal' people.

I'm as guilty as most as I do tend to be a bit of a wind-up merchant, especially when so many posters get their head stuck up their arse about issues.

This, being a genuine request, best of luck in your search. It might attract less 'attention', if you make your call first. It'd probably cause less potential heartache.

Regards DD

hval
13th Feb 2011, 09:47
@ Pastpoo,

The usual "sarcasm" from posters.

If I gave the impression of being sarcastic I apologise. I posted what I know about the incident. I know nothing else relevant, other than the names of the persons who were on board the aircraft, and that there is a memorial to those persons.

Link to photos of memorial (http://www.aerosteles.net/fiche.php?code=steleocadie-lynx&lang=frukserials)

Hval

(Edited to add a link to photographs of memorial with location)

Old-Duffer
13th Feb 2011, 10:14
Crome Dome,

Are you aware that, in addition to the memorial referred to above, the crew will be commemorated at the Armed Forces Memorial at Alrewas, Staffordshire and within the 'on line' Roll of Honour. This latter will show details of his age, service number etc.

It might prove a little difficult to contact the RAF witness directly. This will be for a variety of reasons such as the person is no longer serving and there is always a reluctance to give out such information.

You could try contacting the Joint Services mountaineering association (don't not what its real title is) as they will probably have a magazine and may have an archivist who could help. Another approach might be to write an open letter to this unknown person and then ask the Army Air Corps if they would forward it to the RAF Personnel Disclosures Branch at Cranwell with a covering letter explaining that the letter should be sent to the RAF engineer, whose name the Army Air Corps will know from the Board fo Enquiry proceedings (GOSH that reads as very long winded).

Old Duffer

hval
13th Feb 2011, 10:37
Crome Dome,

As Old Duffer suggests you might try contacting the HQ Joint Service Mountain Training Centre on Anglesey. I shall speak to MRT and see if there is a civvy telephone number available.

Hval

Crome Dome
13th Feb 2011, 11:49
Thank you all for being so kind with your help... I am definalty going to follow up the leads etc that you have all given me.

I finally feel like I am getting somewhere.....

:D Stay safe all you mad flyers !!!!

diginagain
13th Feb 2011, 12:54
As Two's In has indicated, a letter explaining who you are and therefore the purpose of your enquiry should be addressed to;

Aviation Standards
Army Air Corps Centre
Middle Wallop
Stockbridge
Hants

If the accident report is available, they may, and I reiterate may let you have a copy.

The accident was well briefed amongst the Army Lynx fraternity, but I am reluctant to disclose details on an open forum.

LeCrazyFrog
13th Feb 2011, 13:11
As an aside, IMHO you could have chosen another title for your topic...That would have prevented me from almost having a heart attack... ;)

Something like "Army Lynx crash 1986" for example. Now I am going to dye all the grey hair that suddenly popped on my head...:E

Best of luck with your research.

Crome Dome
13th Feb 2011, 16:41
Lecrazy Frog

Sorry for the poorly worded title to my request..... I will send you some just for men!!!!

Two's in
13th Feb 2011, 16:47
Crome Dome - read your Private Messages (click your user name to access your profile, PM's are at the top of the page)

gogolfing89
17th Aug 2011, 10:41
My cousin, W/O Brian Ives was in the Lynx as well.

Crome Dome
12th Sep 2011, 18:55
My cousin, W/O Brian Ives was in the Lynx as well.

Hi there dads cousin. Who are you?

SilsoeSid
13th Sep 2011, 11:58
To answer your questions, they were conducting Mountain Flying training and the direct cause of the accident was the tail rotor strike.

Any indirect causes ?

opfixclear
13th Sep 2011, 16:22
Crome Dome,
I served with your father for a few months in West Berlin in 1982. He conducted my first familiarisation flight around the Berlin Wall. He was a gentleman and an all-round good guy. One of the others killed in the accident was a friend of mine. Taff, or Eighty-Four to his mates.
I was on duty at Oakington in '86 when the signal arrived telling of the accident. Sad day for me and the Corps.

Crome Dome
3rd Oct 2011, 13:09
Thank you for the kind words.
rachael x

Openboat
5th Feb 2024, 21:11
Thank you for that information it is most helpful. You see the pilot was my dad and I only have a very vague story of what happened. .... over 25years of wondering. Does anyone happen to know the name of the eye witness...???

Thank you all so much for your help... any amount of information is very much appreciated.

Hi

After all these years, I have come across this.

I can assist with information, if still required? My brother was also killed on the fatal Lynx flight.

If you want further help, please let me know…