PDA

View Full Version : EFB update

Old Akro
10th Feb 2011, 23:00
I've been using the Motion LS800 for an EFB and I'm convinced that the EFB strategy is valid. Its takes some work to be fluent with Jeppview, but its a good thing. CASA even seem to be warming to them based on the second issue of AWB 17. The main complaint is that the LS800 is really a bit old and slow. But its been the best game in town due to its size, battery life and view anywhere screen, but there is no escaping that its a dated computer.

iPad is pretty sexy, but has a few flaws as an EFB, the main ones are lack of moving map support and lack of USB outlets for printing, transfer of files, connection of a proper GPS engine, etc. And it can't run the Jeppview package (although the Jepp iPad reader is very good).

Viewsonic have recently launched a new 10 inch screen dual boot win 7 / Android tablet. It even comes with a 16Gb SSD. Harris Technology have it for something like $760. I think it has the new style LED backlit screen which is pretty good in daylight.

Has anyone seen or used it?

ForkTailedDrKiller
11th Feb 2011, 00:50
The main complaint is that the LS800 is really a bit old and slow.

Just like me!

Akro, Motion Computing have a new one coming out early this year. Essentially an upgrade of the LS800, priced to compete with the iPad.

I am excited! :E

Dr :8

ozequestrian
11th Feb 2011, 01:18
Yes, the CL900, 10" screen, shockproof, splash proof, weighs around a kilo and runs Windows 7. Saw it at the Consumer and Electronics show in Vegas and it is neat. Starting price will be just under US$1000 for a base unit. Already on the list for one :)

Old Akro
11th Feb 2011, 04:34
The new Motion tablet has about twice the battery life of the new consumer tablets. It might be a very good thing.