PDA

View Full Version : Moving Down Under?!

shiver
9th Feb 2011, 12:06
Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could give me some information on the avitiaon scene in Australia.
I have completed my training almost 18 months ago now and am struggling to find a job in Europe. I have tought about moving to Australia but would like to know what are the job opportunities for low hour pilots, I have approx 250hrs TT and also what is the conversion process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Shiver

redsnail
9th Feb 2011, 16:35
G'day shiver, first you need to look at the dept of immigration (http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/) site to see if you qualify for a visa to allow you to live and work in Australia.

Actually, this section (http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/#vw=%23a_step_1) is probably a better place to start.

Then have a look at the CASA (HTTP://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90024) site for the conversion and other bits and pieces.

Please note As of 1 November 2005 the Department of Immigration and Citizenship have removed aircraft pilots from the Skilled Occupation List.

Therefore, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority no longer issues skills assessments for the purpose General Skilled Migration. this from the CASA site. However, I would cross reference this info with what the Dept of Immigration says.

In Europe, a CPL holder is probably going to start in a turboprop or possibly a jet. Others instruct and so on. In Australia, it is very rare to go straight onto turbine equipment unless you're part of a cadet scheme with that airline.

Also, your ATPL subjects will not be formally recognised, you'll have to do the Australian ATPL subjects to get an ATPL. However, there's no rush for that.

shiver
9th Feb 2011, 19:04
Thanks for the information.
Am keeping my options open at the minute, any kind of flying would be great really, better than working in a shop which is what am doing now.

3 Holer
9th Feb 2011, 20:05
You have hit the nail on the head redsnail. Too many o'seas wannabes looking to further their careers in the promised land only to get snookered at the first two hurdles - immigration and licensing requirements.