PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Safety in PNG

Waghi Warrior
8th Feb 2011, 20:13
I have noticed over the past few weeks that the weather in PNG is also changing. I fully understand it's the wet season,however some of the conditions I have observed recently have been the worst I have ever seen.

I just ask pilots to be more vigilant as to the way they operate,as you won't get any help from anyone on the ground. I get the impression that ATC and FS have no idea of the problems that adverse weather gives pilots.

The other issue in Port Moresby now is that both ILSs are being replaced one at a time,nice time to completely withdraw an ILS (Right in the middle of the wet season).

Also given the growth of the increased air traffic around the country,try and be more situational aware of who else is flying in your area. Every day I fly I recon I could file at least 2 incident reports on not having been given traffic information,especially OCTA. The reason why I don't file the reports is that I never get a response from CAA.

The way I see it,I don't get a lot of support from anyone on the ground up here,and in some cases some people on the ground have set me up for a major disaster. What I'm saying here is don't let your guard down for no one,especially in regard to comercial pressures.

Fly safe !

mustman
8th Feb 2011, 22:05
nice time to completely withdraw an ILS (Right in the middle of the wet season).

Is there a good time to take out an ILS? Last September in Cairns they decided to replace the ILS in what should be a good weather month. Well from memory it rained for 1-2 weeks and every man and his dog was diverting.

I do feel for you in regards to your other points. Unfortunately I believe the poorer infrastructure is a part of flying in PNG.

Chimbu chuckles
9th Feb 2011, 00:18
Yup - nothing much has changed then - nature of the beast I am afraid Waghi Warrior.

Its getting on for 12 years since I left PNG and 26 since I went there - God I am feeling old - anyway, it has never been different since ATC was localised.

Twice, once at Mt Hagen in a Twotter and once at Port Moresby in an F28, ATC put me within a heart beat of midair collision. Both times were on frequency changeovers. The first time in the Twotter I am actually not sure how we missed, I had a windscreen FULL of the other aircraft as we both took violent evasive action - I was still shaking with released adrenaline LONG after landing. The second time as we changed over from approach to tower at POM I heard the tail end of a transmission to a MBA Dornier and without really knowing why I eased back on the control column a smidge and reduced my ROD slightly - a few seconds later the Dornier flew a few hundred feet DIRECTLY under us (in IMC).

On another occasion at Nadzab on a beautiful morning with about 4 aircraft all arriving at the same time the Tower controller managed to vector us all AT one another before he decided he'd said enough and fell mute - it was actually funny. I was on right base for 27 and a mate was on left base. "Marty I will just do an orbit here and you go in" "Thanks Chuck". As soon as WE had resolved the situation the 'controller' piped up and said "Yes yes - RDB hold on right base, RDN cleared to land"

:hmm:

I firmly believe PNG aviation would be MUCH better off with NO ATC...NONE...NADA. Shut it down and send the staff back to the willage. On the few occasions when they went on strike it all worked wonderfully - companies kept track of us via our internal HF network.

Stay safe up there:ok:

tinpis
9th Feb 2011, 00:52
Funny, but I asked somewhere else if in fact the WX had been noticabily crook-er in PNG, as it was in '74 during Tracy, floods, et al...

Waghi Warrior
9th Feb 2011, 22:12
Re the ILSs being withdrawn for renewal, no problems there but it's not very good timing, obviously there was no industry consultation done by CAA or PNG Airservices on this decision, no surprises there !

I do recall the Cairns ILS being out last September, at least that wasn't done in the middle of the monsoonal season ! Just really bad luck that Cairns had unseasonal weather at that time.

Tinny, The severity of some of the CB's and the associated weather around them is getting more intense I recon.

I guess what I'm trying to say here guys/girls is don't take unnecessary risks as we don't want to have any more deaths.

Pinky the pilot
11th Feb 2011, 22:50
NO ATC...NONE...NADA. Shut it down and send the staff back to the willage.

Struth, that's a bit rough Chuck!:eek::D Besides. I remember that a few were'nt too bad.

Still remember there was a Meri with an incredibly sexy voice:E on 118.1 at times. Was very good at her job I thought. SS and I sent her a Valentines Day card telling her that (the sexy voice that is) and heard later the reaction was 'interesting.'
"Ever seen a PNG Girl blush?":hmm:

Very sound advice Mach Twelve.:ok:

tinpis
12th Feb 2011, 01:56
Sharpie once told me if the weather ahead looks RS do an orbit and be amazed how things can change in that short time
My progress after that was a series of orbits linked together :rolleyes:

Waghi Warrior
12th Feb 2011, 06:57
It's good to see someone else is on the same wave lengh
as me Mache 12.

Re the cute sounding ATC/FS ladies, their are still a couple in amongst them. Dunno what kind of duty hours the ATC/FS people do however I think they do some long hours, and at a guess I'd say that they don't get paid very well.
Also as I mentioned before, it pays to keep a good ear out on the radio as to who's around and where. I had a good mate several years ago have a tranmission let go in a helicopter at Kikori, I heard his mayday about 500 miles away on HF, no one close by heard it, not even FS. He survived however he was badly banged up, but I was able to relay his position and situation onto FS.

Che cows with guns
12th Feb 2011, 08:37
I think with the ILS out it would be prudent to carry extra holding fuel to POM over and above the standard 30 minutes. Perhaps 60 especially if arriving after about 1400 local. Generally this will give you Nadzab with fixed reserves intact (hopefully).
It is always a good idea to get the latest TAF's before departing a port, but as we all know often the weather changes quite dramatically.
The ATC staff are a real mixed bag, I find. Some exceptional some ****e. But then again some days we pilots are on our game sometimes off.
You have always had to be on the ball as the unexpected is the norm. It has not changed in the 25 years that I have been visiting. I find the Nationals generally very helpful. They work under very trying conditions with little support and sub standard equipment. I have often wondered whether the towers and various flight service offices are airconditioned, actually I know quite a few aren't.
Yes when ATC and F.S were on strike it was a dream come true. Oh so easy.
CHE

papua new guinea pil
13th Feb 2011, 04:41
M y friend....dont complain
Flying in PNG in the 1960s you only had H/F radio...no aids at all, and there were probably as many if not more a/c flying then as there are now.
Learn to fly D/R We only had ADF in the late 60s., and the airstrips were worse then than they are now...so, dont complain!!!

Wildpilot
13th Feb 2011, 06:53
I don't think anyone is complaining, they are doing what any good pilot should and that is manage safety.

What just because you had less equipment in the good ol days, they should not think about safety now!!!!!

tinpis
13th Feb 2011, 20:23
WW I once heard a mayday call from a chopper it was about '73 ?
Just that, a mayday mayday then nothing else.Turned out it was a chopper and he was ok.

To be fair PNGPIL the Kiups in our day keep the bois busy on the job and mostly the airstrips were in good nick. No so today I think.
But you probably mean they was tricky buggers to find/ operate in and out of. They don't have that much fun nowdays

papua new guinea pil
13th Feb 2011, 22:22
gday tinpis
you are spot on my friend.....but I feel todays peeelots would have problems without their navaids.