View Full Version : Military Pilot looking for advice

Guru8904
7th Feb 2011, 18:08
I have just finished a contract with UAE Air Force where I was flying as an instructor in their college. I have an ICAO ATP and over 5000 hrs TT including 1100 on military jets. The downside is that I do not have any commercial or heavy experience.
Airlines, even bizjet operators, all want heavy jet time with TR which I don't have. The only offer I have till now is with a cargo operator who is willing to take me as FO if I get the TR done on my own. Yes, it is a confirmed job offer and they would give it in writing. The total expense would be in the region of AED 50,000 - 55,000 including the ticket/lodging etc.
My question is, is it worth it? or can somebody suggest something better? I would prefer continue staying in the UAE, if not, anywhere in the Middle East.

Thanks

HERC
7th Feb 2011, 18:20
Can you PM me with their details please.

mo320777
7th Feb 2011, 19:12
i guess it worth it but u should try applying for qatar airways

but which company is that ??

OMDB-PiLoT
7th Feb 2011, 19:38
Most probably the one in Al-Ain - if you know what I mean :)

I think it's OK in today's market as long as the pay is good. I think you can recover the TR cost in about 3 months, so it should be alright. Once you have that "BIG JET" experience, it's easier to move further.

Guru8904
8th Feb 2011, 01:44
Thank You guys,

Check your PMs.

FrankR
8th Feb 2011, 05:41
If I were in your shoes, my enthusiasm would primarily depend on the type you are buying. IF the aircraft is a current production Boeing / Airbus, sell everything and go for it. If it's a Jurassic jet, think twice. Where can you sell your type experience if this company goes bust next month (rare as bankruptcy is in aviation :-) ). However, I feel having any part 121 job is better than talking up your military experience.

Good luck, keep applying!

FR