PDA

View Full Version : B738 Engine QRH

RAT 5
7th Feb 2011, 16:34
Engine failure: leave ISLN valve in auto; turn off effected pack = ISLN valve open and live bleed pressurises both ducts. Effected eng bleed valve closed due lack of puff. Engine fire: Close ISLN valve. Live bleed pressurises only its own duct. Effected engine bleed valve closed; no puff + fire handled pulled. Why the difference with ISLN valve? For consistency why not close it for both cases. In the former, if inflt start required there can be a command in that QRH to reposition ISLN to auto or OPEN. I just have an idea that keeping things the same keeps them simpler, sometimes.

Right Way Up
7th Feb 2011, 16:55
RAT 5,

I have not flown the NG for quite a few years, but perhaps can suggest an answer based on the A320. I think it may be to allow Wing anti icing to be used. The clue for me is the pack being switched off. (precooler performance?) Apologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick.

frogone
7th Feb 2011, 17:03
Possibly keeping it open to attempt a cross bleed start?

RAT 5
7th Feb 2011, 17:34
There is a note that if WAI is needed ISLN valve to auto: ref Inflt start see in original question.

Avenger
8th Feb 2011, 12:04
Maybe smoke, air contamination, :ok:

RAT 5
8th Feb 2011, 22:04
Doubt it. In both cases the failed engine bleed valve is closed. The bleed and aircond ducts should be isolated from each other.

Avenger
9th Feb 2011, 13:45
Don't think so.. the QRH directs you to turn pack switch on affected side off.. this will cause the isolation valve to open..to prevent this the isolation valve is positioned to close, causing the remaining pack to operate in high flow ( in flt with flaps up). Just because the pressure driven bleed may be closed, the systems are not isolated.