PDA

View Full Version : Video - Buccaneers On Maple Flag 1983

foldingwings
6th Feb 2011, 15:10
Another Foldie (self aggrandisement permitting) video. This time a bit further north on Ex MAPLE FLAG and filmed from the target's perspective.

Not quite the video that Mike (all the 7s) was expecting but not a bad replacement!

YouTube - RAF BUCCANEERS EXERCISE MAPLE FLAG 1983 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBlPihh1ChU)

RAF Buccaneers attacking the EW site targets on Ex Maple Flag in 1983. Compare the heights of the Buccs and the USAF F-4s (they are the ones above the trees)! The high-level 'shiny' is a Canadian Voodoo on the prowl for Buccs. Watch out for the low-level C-130 towards the end.

Hope you enjoy the different perspective this time, shot from outside the cockpit.

Sorry about the poorer transfer quality of the Super 8!

Foldie:cool:

BBadanov
6th Feb 2011, 20:08
Foldie,
I don't remember MF 83. Who flew it - was it 208?

Boris B

monkeytennis
6th Feb 2011, 20:45
Great vid, shame about the :mad: awful soundtrack!

foldingwings
6th Feb 2011, 20:58
BBad, I was with 16 at the time.

Foldie:ok:

PS. Music is pre-canned but what's wrong with Vangelis!

Mike7777777
7th Feb 2011, 20:02
Thanks Foldie, excellent footage (how much more is lurking in your loft?). How low was 1.35?
Pay no attention to those who criticise the choice of Vangelis for backing, it's fast becoming a Bucc video trademark ;)

Finnpog
7th Feb 2011, 20:25
Top vid. Thanks Foldie:ok:.

Got to love that airplane...and the crews.

jindabyne
8th Feb 2011, 10:06
what's wrong with Vangelis!

Absolutely nothing, absolutely nothing ----

foldingwings
9th Feb 2011, 10:10
Sorry, failed to respond to Mike (all the 7s) question regarding height! He just PM'd a reminder!

Of course, the official answer is 100ft MSD (Minimum Separation Distance). MSD is defined as the minimum distance (in a bubble around the aircraft) from any object: ground; building; sea; mountain; trees etc. We used the Radio Altimeter to secure our MSD but it was notoriously inaccurate below 100 ft, locked out at 50 ft; it was also unlikely to read the height above the tree line of dead Canadian Firs and would give its reading above the deck. Therefore, given that those dead and broken Canadian fir trees are probably 30 - 40 ft high, a wise man could work out using basic trigonometry just how high that Bucc was!

I took the movie (to the sound of grizzlies breaking trees in the distance behind me) so my view was slightly distorted through the lens but, all I can say is, that all the others present ducked!!

Foldie:cool: