PDA

View Full Version : class 2 medical

disgruntledpilot
5th Feb 2011, 00:24
In 2006 I attended a commercial licence course to further my dreams of becoming an agricultural pilot. I had held a ppl license for four years prior to this course and my class 2 medical was nearing renewal. After completing the theory part of my cpl I wanted to race through and do my practical flying assessment but needed to upgrade my medical to a class 1. Everything was going well at the doctors until my ECG. The doctor paused and said that my results would have to be sent to CASA for further evaluation because I had an irregular heart rythym:confused:. A couple of weeks later I received a letter stating that it was in my best interests to see a cardiologist asap as my results were similar to those of someone with brugada syndrome. I was required to attend an electrophysiological study to see whether arrythmia could be induced. It was!! After consultation with the doctor at hand it was decided that a good course of action was to install an 'internal cardio-defibrillator'; even though I may never need to use it. I had no symptoms of brugada beforehand, and to this day I still don't. My father and other family members also have this disorder and have never experienced any symptoms.
I have tried a couple of times with the aid of my GP and cardiologist to persuade CASA to re-instate my medical to a class 2. It hasn't happened. I'd like to know if anyone is flying with an ICD, and if so what hurdles did you have to jump.