PDA

View Full Version : Question 1.5 minute holding pattern Sector 2 entry

Centaurus
4th Feb 2011, 12:50
Most holding patterns in Australia are one minute outbound or DME limit whichever is first. AIP permits however the offset entry (Sector 2) to be flown up to a max of 1.5 minutes or DME limit if there is one.

Question: Why is 1.5 minutes max permitted for Sector 2 only? If the IAL and Jepps has a note that holding pattern timing is one minute, then does this note over-ride the general IAL and Jepps direction that Sector 2 can be extended to a max of 1.5 minutes irrespective .

das Uber Soldat
4th Feb 2011, 20:50
I was under the impression that the 1 minute pattern was a guide. Timing can be adjusted for wind.

Secondly is the sector entry even classified as part of the hold? I read it as "Entry to the holding pattern" and not necessarily covered under the restrictions of holding patterns.

I could be wrong :}

Arm out the window
4th Feb 2011, 22:07
Possibly because in the sector 2 you are flying across the racetrack area diagonally, so to speak, and can therefore spend longer doing it (and staying in the protected area) than if you were paralleling the inbound leg for S1.

PPRuNeUser0163
4th Feb 2011, 22:09
Centaurus,

Das is spot on.. the sector entry is a seperate maneouvre to the holding pattern- yes the holding pattern is typically defined by the 1 minute timing or dme limit and then wind adjusted..

The way i see that a sector 2 entry is 1.5 minutes- is if like some locations the timing is 2 minutes - then if you do this sector 2 entry in 2 minutes (described as a teardrop entry per the AIP) you would actually go outside the tolerance area (containment).. thats the way i saw it anyways..

happy to be corrected though!

scardycap
4th Feb 2011, 23:39
If the IAL and Jepps has a note that holding pattern timing is one minute, then does this note over-ride the general IAL and Jepps direction that Sector 2 can be extended to a max of 1.5 minutes irrespective .No it doesn't override.

The holding pattern timing doesn't begin until abeam the fix or attaining the outbound heading,whichever comes later. Jepps terminal 2.1.b
Entry from a sector 2 flown outbound up to a maximum of 1min and 30 secs or if earlier the appropriate DME distance. Terminal 3.2.2.b

Icarus2001
5th Feb 2011, 04:09
you do this sector 2 entry in 2 minutes (described as a teardrop entry per the AIP)

Yet another myth being perpetuated on Pprune. Can you show me where that description of a "teardrop" entry is please?

It is an OFFSET entry or BASE turn.

Read the book.