PDA

View Full Version : Baghdad FIR traffic

divingduck
2nd Feb 2011, 17:38
Hi all,
Could you kindly advise your flight level and SSR code on first contact with Baghdad control, as this will facilitate radar identification and cut down R/T on the frequency.

Wizofoz
3rd Feb 2011, 04:15
Don't find the Iraqia anything like as bad as the Saudis for that, BUT, seriously, if you ARE in a position to brief the local controllers DD, could you try and get across that it is NOT a mark of education to speak English on the radio as fast as possible?

Slow ANNUNCIATED English will save the numerous "Track direct where? you want the estimate for what point?" calls from us mear native English speakers!!

halas
3rd Feb 2011, 04:44
DD,

Iraq is fine compared to some of the places the gulf carriers go to.

Having said that, l haven't been through there in two months. Just like l haven't been through hundred's FIR's in the las two months.

Get the chart manufacturers to put it on their charts along with the dozens of other notes for the region. Or put out a notam to put in our briefing packages that are near impossible to fully comprehend (I speak for myself)

Good luck with the education program!

halas

ps Just on a fun note...Every time Baghdad says "Say Kaban estimate", l honestly feel like saying "Kaban estimate!...did l do good?" :}

divingduck
3rd Feb 2011, 07:36
Thanks guys,
You may not be aware but Serco have taken over the management of the ATC system in Baghdad.
We now have a number of expats (and more to come) to fill out the numbers of the ex FAA controlers that were here with the previous contractor.
So...many of the phrasiologies that you will hear are US phrases...which are being phased out. Stand by to hear "report KABAN estimate" etc etc.
Things do take time, like getting everyone to speak slowly and clearly...like us Aussies...:E

Wizofoz,...you need to fly through Irish airspace if you want to hear absolute max rate transmissions:}
The quality of the radios are questionable, and do drop out from time to time. They are getting better according to the guys that have been here a while.
I will certainly pass on the comments regarding speed of transmissions.

If any of you guys have comments suggestions questions, give me a shout and I'll do my best to answer them...you probably wont' like some though:ugh:

Talk to you soon.

Gulf News
3rd Feb 2011, 12:15
Nice to see Pprune being used for something informative and constructive for a change. Keep it up.:ok:

moggiee
4th Feb 2011, 08:49
wizofoz: Not wishing to be rude but I think that you mean:

"MERE native English speakers"

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Wizofoz
4th Feb 2011, 13:44
Moggie,

Are you mounting a SMERE campaign against me????

moggiee
4th Feb 2011, 19:02
No - you're doing quite well without my help! :)

ekairbus
4th Feb 2011, 19:12
I would like to see CPDLC established all the way from (northern)Turkey through to Kuwait. Turkish and Iraqi airspace is big enough in area and in traffic volume to benefit from it's intoduction.

divingduck
6th Feb 2011, 08:03
Nice thought, I'd also like ADSB and Mode S, and 10nm in trail using radar/adsb with our adjoining units...oh and I'd like RVSM too :ok:

We are getting there though. Moving towards 20nm in trail, once all the agreements and safety cases are sorted.
In case no one was aware, we are required to give Kuwait and Ankara a minimum of 40nm in trail with similar speeds. That's why no one can get higher til after KABAN as Ankara can use 5nm on radar and they have plenty of airspace to play with.

RVSM is just a couple of months away too.

It was a bit of a bun fight last night...as anyone that went through would attest:ouch:

Hook
6th Feb 2011, 08:13
Baghdad ATC has improved a lot since EK started flying through there - please don't forget the early days when crossing the boundary we'd be out of VHF range and when direct routings were not allowed, so well done to all involved.
Duck, may I suggest you guys issue an FIR notam for the squawk code - not all of us read pprune.
Now, with apologies for a slight thread drift. Does anyone have any good info about flying in and out of Basra? There seems to be little stuff on the crew portal.....other than an advert for holidays in Basra:}

atiuta
7th Feb 2011, 21:17
The only thing I remember was how many EK aircraft kept trying to call ORBB at KABAN and blocking the airwaves. Thanks to those that didn't and yes, it is much better but a way to go yet.

Could I have the link for ORMM holidays please....