PDA

View Full Version : de Havilland Mosquito

P51D
2nd Feb 2011, 12:20
To our NZ friends. Any word as to whether the Mosquito will be ready to fly at the Omaka Classic Fighters airshow over the upcoming Easter weekend?

Aerozepplin
2nd Feb 2011, 18:10
Worth the ticket alone if she does fly. Further to the above question does anyone know the % that's original? Or at least, not replaced in this most recent work?

Sqwark2000
2nd Feb 2011, 19:19
No update for a while, but if you're not aware, there is a facebook page dedicated to it's progress....

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More (http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mosquito-Aircraft-Restoration/234517788328?v=wall)

S2K

Bastardos
2nd Feb 2011, 23:47
Nowhere near it... I had a look at it before xmas and the following Easter is more likely.

It is a fantastic rebuilt done to the highest standard and will be incredible to see and hear flying.

Venom looks to be pretty buggered too, so dont expect to see that at Omaka either.

NZFlyingKiwi
3rd Feb 2011, 01:44
I think it's very unlikely we'll be seeing the Mosquito flying at Omaka this year, but there will be plenty of other highlights - newly restored Avro Anson, the full set of Fokker Triplanes, Flugwerk FW-190 etc.

baron_beeza
3rd Feb 2011, 02:25
I dunno, Easter is weeks away...

Did anyone else see a recent TV programme about the building of a Wellington bomber during the war. ?

A manufacturing plant (I somehow thought Canadian) gave themselves the task of building one (Assembling) in record time, I assume for propaganda purposes.

Well they worked day and night, Rosie and Edna doing the fabric, Charlie and mates fitting the engines...

After 20 something hours Joe came along and test flew it. It was something like a 9am to 7am exercise.
A footnote mentioned that it was flown to the OCU at 7pm that night...

Job Done !!

I enjoyed reading up on the guys doing the Mosquito work, they are doing a very good job and obviously enjoying it. I was fortunate to catch the one in the UK flying about in the early 1980's. Certainly one of my favourite aircraft.

If we do have to wait an extra year could we be treated to a pair of them gracing NZ skies ?

I have just found a BBC link to the Wellington record... it may a little more correct than my 3am memory retention.
BBC News - The Wellington bomber plane built in a day (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11107561)

Aerozepplin
3rd Feb 2011, 03:35
If we do have to wait an extra year could we be treated to a pair of them gracing NZ skies

Now that would be a sight to see!

Bastardos
3rd Feb 2011, 23:30
The Mosquito simply will not be happening this year and the airshow website should be updated accordingly.... Avspecs do a great job, but not that quickly!

Realistically, dont hold your breath about seeing two flying in NZ. The other mosquito project has been a work in progress from last decade and as soon as the Avspecs one is flying it will be flown to Jerry Yagen's home.