PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Doctor in the House?

Lancelot37
1st Feb 2011, 00:35
Currently on three months holidya in West Australia. I've noticed here more than in the U.K that some days the colour of my urine is more yellow/darker than other days. How good a test is this that not enough liquid is being taken?

Is there any relationship between colour and ones health? Does alcohol affect the issue? At my age the only flying I do is in my dreams!

Lancelot37
2nd Feb 2011, 14:51
Currently on three months holiday in West Australia. I've noticed here more than in the U.K that some days the colour of my urine is more yellow/darker than other days. How good a test is this that not enough liquid is being taken?

Is there any relationship between colour and ones health? Does alcohol affect the issue? At my age the only flying I do is in my dreams!

Dehydration can affect the body in several ways. Lack of concentration, increased heart beat and many other symptoms that can affect the ability to fly an aircraft safely.

Is the colour of ones urine a safe indication that something is wrong and that steps to improve the situation should be taken? Should a flight be undertaken, as a pilot when urine colour is other than clean?

AnthonyGA
2nd Feb 2011, 17:10
The intensity of urine color is a pretty good indicator of hydration. My rule for hot weather has always been to drink until your urine is pale, and to drink enough to have to urinate at least every four hours or so. Dark urine and no trips to the toilet are bad signs. In desert conditions that can mean drinking a litre or two of water every hour, or sometimes more.