PDA

View Full Version : Changes in CP, C/L & C/D on swept wing aircraft

WannaBeBiggles
30th Jan 2011, 18:04
Hi all

I am currently studying for my ATPL's and was wondering if anyone had some good references or visuals that illustrate the changes in aerodynamic forces on a swept wing aircraft during various stages of flight.

Sub-Sonic, transonic, supersonic, in climb, decent, with various lift augmentation devices (including failure of in/out board devices).

I'm really having trouble getting the changes that occur during these various stages, especially when it comes to where the CP moves and really want to understand the why as opposed to just memorising the changes, so thought an interactive chart or maybe an animation might better ingrain this.

I've tried googling but only find the basics of aerodynamics, so any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

WBB

Brian Abraham
30th Jan 2011, 23:35
A copy of the US Navy "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" ISBN 1-56027-140-X will go a long way to giving an understanding. Seeing as you are in Victoria, give a call to the Melbourne technical bookshop, I'd be surprised if they don't have a copy on the shelf. Barring that google will provide a source.

MD83FO
31st Jan 2011, 06:46
i like the glenn research center from the nasa web site.

eckhard
31st Jan 2011, 21:20
I agree with Brian Abraham. The 'Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators' is a great book (if a little dated).

It is available as a free .pdf at:

http://www.askacfi.com/library/aerod...-navy-aviators

Enjoy!

Eck

WannaBeBiggles
31st Jan 2011, 23:41
Thanks for the info guys!

I've invested in a copy :)