PDA

View Full Version : The "New" Air Force

TBM-Legend
29th Jan 2011, 23:04
Whoever put these videos together nailed it...

YouTube - Revenge of the mx officer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnPu-kk_eOA)

Mx Officer Goes to Morning Meeting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5640pLtj ... re=related

OPR Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8KxC4Wo ... re=related

Old-Duffer
30th Jan 2011, 06:39
Nice clip! However, it's not 'new' air force, many of the issues being shown are, in essence, the sort of problems that have been around for years. The only difference is the pilot commander usually lost his 'rag' or interest a good deal earlier in the conversation.

I even had a very similar conversation in the main briefing room of a well known ( and now closed) fast jet base in the summer of 1993 and in front of most of the engineering and support staff of that base. I never progressed further but the pilot reached air rank!

O-D

Finningley Boy
30th Jan 2011, 15:45
Old Duffer, I'm guessing the Base was Coltishall!?

FB:)

Kitbag
30th Jan 2011, 20:33
RA, too close to your own attitudes perhaps?

Old-Duffer
31st Jan 2011, 06:23
Yes, Finningley Boy; you’re right.

The basics are that after Gulf War I, there was a desire to incorporate all the ‘goodies’ that had worked so well into the jets on a permanent basis. The air staff, without reference to the head of the support organisation, decided to pay for these updates by giving up/selling off a large number of aircraft and using the money thus generated. BUT – the costing process does not work like that and the offer of savings was immediately accepted and the money for the update??: ‘ah well, we need to see the outcome of the spending round, old boy’.

The problem with selling off the jets was that they were the ‘fatigue bank’ which would allow the aircraft to go on to its (then) out of service date (wings and airframes were separate entities). After a very considerable struggle, the jets were saved but the updates were only approved in part and only for the reduced number that the air staff had said they could live with. This brought all sorts of issues of the type shown in the video clips and I need not rehearse those here in specifics.

The event at which I hinted in the previous post came about when the ‘Support Authority’ held a review at the base to brief the great and good. It was decided to repeat the essentials of the brief for those who hadn’t been around the day before and also as many of the station staff as possible. As an aside, the thing I loved about working on the Jaguar was the ‘community spirit’.

When discussion got round to the ever present issues of money, I commented that we were being squeezed so badly that we could end up with the jets modified and ever more capable but no funds to support them effectively. Up jumps thrusting squadron commander and accuses me of ‘being trite’ and ‘if you can’t sort your budget priorities out, somebody else should’. I was unable to convince ‘young thruster’ of the realities of the process and we eventually moved on.

A constant problem with managing an aircraft weapon system was that money wouldn’t be given for long term improvements for an aircraft with just a few years life left. With Jaguar to be replaced by Typhoon and that aircraft always ‘slipping’, the life of the Jaguar was only being extended in dribs and drabs and the money needed to address the age related stuff was increasing all the time.

As a final point in support of the validity of the video clip, I have just spotted another Thread here which refers to a ‘Jaguar Reunion’ – but only pilots need apply!!

Old Duffer

PS Loved every minute of my time with Jaguar and ‘twas best job I ever had in the mob and really super people as well – comments above were just a small part of the whole business.

Kitbag
31st Jan 2011, 20:27
Gosh, that's me told then.

Anyway, try searching Youtube for 'RAF Aircrew debrief'. I'd link it but I haven't a clue how to :confused:. There are quite a few in the RAF series and I think they'll strike a chord with any in the Brit Mil.

Alber Ratman
31st Jan 2011, 21:39
Jaguar 96, Jaguar 97, Jaguar.. Oooh my bl**dy head hurts, what RTS applies to that upgrade!! Damm the STF is out of date again!:E

Great base and good times really Old duffer! Who was the squadron commanders unit out of interest? PM me if you don't want to make it public!

Alber Ratman
31st Jan 2011, 21:51
Old Duffer, the Jaguar Groundcrew have an annual get together in Norwich every December, plus regular Squadron based ones that happen throughout the year.. Last one had about 250 turn up. Never advertised on PPrune though!:E